SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamadadapaige

My first real kitchen design project -

mamadadapaige
15 years ago

hi,

have been asked for help by one of my close friends. as you may (or may not) know, I am enrolled in a kitchen and bath design program at an NKBA accredited school, studying to become a kitchen designer. Other than my own kitchen, this is my first design. Can you see any glaring mistakes or ways to improve this?

I am showing her the plans tonight. It is a small kitchen, and I am proposing turning it from an L into a U to optimize the space and give her some of the things she has asked for.

Her budget is limited (as it should be given the value of her property). She wants to keep it around $20K ish.

Her requirements are:

full size DW

granite countertops

one or two seats at peninsula

more storage

My goals were to give her more counterspace particuarly between her sink and range, more storage.

To help keep costs down, I chose stock cabinetry sizes for the most part and can shop this around with her. My splurge on her behalf is a 24" built in Liebherr fridge which the whole plan hinges on... otherwise the fridge would project too far into the space and she wouldn't have her peninsula seating or her aisle into the ktichen would be cramped. The fridge is $3800 ish. I think sort of worth it for what it allows.

What I would have done differently with more space:

put trash closer to sink (is in peninsula labelled WB182D). had bigger pot and pan draw (is to left of fridge) and bigger utensil drawer (to right of stove).

I flipped the sink and DW to give her more usable counterspace but wanted to keep things generally where they are near the pipe chase.

this is a city condo with a tenant above and tenant below, and a party wall on B elevation.

I am thinking frameless cabinetry to optimize her space but am concerned because we want to keep the walls intact to save on expense. this will not be a DIY.

Am I missing anything? The pantry I am thinking might be a custom piece so that I can get an L shaped swing out door so she can access items from the side and front.

here are some pictures of her kitchen:

here is what I am proposing for a floorplan (have not followed all NKBA drafting standards and it still needs a little work):

Here are some elevation drawings:

Comments (22)