SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dbannie04

I need help with designing my new Herb Garden!

dbannie04
13 years ago

I am working on my new herb bed and I thought I would ask for some input! I have one SMALL herb bed now that has spearamint, peppermint, lemon mint, chocolate mint, basil, lemon blam, rosemary, and Texas sage.

This is the new herb bed:

{{gwi:18595}}

I'm a newbie and need some suggestions of what I should plant. I have some mammoth dill, cilantro, and basil that I started from seed that I can plant. I am considering lavendar, ginger, and garlic (I know its the wrong time to plant). I like to use the herbs for cooking, but it also needs to look pretty because it is one of the first things you see when walking from my driveway to the back entrance of my house. I would like some plants that are unique and interesting. The bed faces south and will get sun most of the day until late afternoon.

I would also consider some other things beside herbs to help make it look pretty. I'm in zone 8- East TX. It gets pretty hot and dry in the summer (can be in the 100's for several weeks), but I'm going to do my best to keep it watered.

If it were your bed, how would you lay out the plants? I think I want to try to keep the taller plants in the back. Also I have several indian hawthorn plants that are looking ragged--they have been plagued with black spot and despite my best efforts are still somewhat infected:

{{gwi:18596}}

AND:

{{gwi:18597}}

Would you rip them out and replace them with something else? If so, what would you plant?

I still have to mortar in the bricks and add compost to enrich the soil. Hopefully I will be finished and ready to plant by this Friday afternoon.

I'm looking forward to your input and any suggestions/recommendations you may have. Thanks!

Comments (5)