SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sebastianroberts93

Mind helping a novice with his new herb garden?

Hello everyone, I am new to this group and to gardening in general! I have a lot of herb plants I have been tending, but I have been having trouble with a few of them. I would be grateful if I could get a little guidance.

So I have one or more of each of the following herbs: Peppermint, Spearmint, Mojito Mint, Basil, Golden Sage, Silver Thyme.

The Peppermint and Spearmint live outside and almost died. They do not come in at night. They are barely keeping one vine each with underdeveloped leaves. They have already been repotted into pure Foxfarm Ocean Forest soil. I wasn't sure what to do, so the soil is packed tightly.

The Mojito Mint lives inside and is doing decently well, though I can tell it wants more sunlight. Its flavor is very weak but the plants seem healthy. They are still potted in the Sprouts containers and the soil they came with.

The Basil lives outside and does not come in at night. It is thriving, doing best of all my plants. Nice, full leaves and a very strong, good aroma. Still in its Sprout pots with the soil it came with.

The Golden Sage lives inside and is still in its Sprout pots and the soil it came with. It was doing great for a little while but just started severely drooping and I am quickly becoming concerned.

The Silver Thyme lives outside and does not come in at night. It is still in the container and soil it came in and it has been drying out, despite frequent watering. It is not doing well at all.

I have the following questions... Quite a few, so please bare with me! There is a lot of information out there, and I have had significant difficulty sorting through it all.

1. For container gardening, what size pots do these plants require?
2. How often should I be watering these plants?
3. What is an ideal soil combination I can make with what I already have for each herb? (I currently have perlite, vermiculite, Foxfarm Organic Ocean Forest Soil, and Organic Cactus/Succulent potting mix.)
4. I live in Southern California, North Orange County to be specific. Now that it is Winter time, should I be bringing my herbs in at night to protect them from the cold?
5. How much and how often should I be giving them fertilizers? I have several kinds of Foxfarm liquid plant foods, but I'm having trouble measuring out the right amount. I've also heard Foxfarm Ocean Soil is very strong and that you should wait a few months after planting in it before you add additional fertilizers or you could hurt your plants. Is this true?
6. I have been using Neem oil for pest control. Do you think this is an optimal choice? How should I use it and what brand/product would you recommend?

Thank you everyone, I appreciate the time taken to read and respond.

Comments (2)