SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pippiep

More on my DIY roman shade project, & need help!

pippiep
7 years ago

First, my question! Why does this happen??

When I need to hem the bottom, I fold, press, and pin. When I start to sew, both sides line up like this. The folded part lines up with the edge of the shade.

...then I get to the other side, and it looks like this. What is happening?

This is how I get there: once I invert the pillowcase-like shade so that it's right-side out, I fold up the bottom about 3 inches and top stitch about 1/2" from the top edge of that. I press and pin first. When sewing, I start top stitching on one side, and by the time I get to the other side of the shade, my folded fabric no longer lines up. The top of the folded fabric does not reach the edge. Every.single.time. I've made NINE of these!

Now for some things I learned today.

I made a very small and fully-functional shade today just to practice some other techniques. Namely, assembling the shade right-side-out instead of using the pillowcase method. I thought I could control the "squareness" better this way.

It did help, but the folded hems were ridiculously thick! I used a thicker cotton, but not quite canvas-thick, a very thin black fabric for blackout, and a sturdy cotton liner. I folded/pressed the sides of the patterned fabric 2" and then 2" again, and the black fabric & liner tucked under that hem (those layers were not folded). For the bottom hem, it was 3" and 3" again. I ended up trimming a triangle of fabric so that the bottom corners wouldn't be SO SO THICK. It reduced the thickness a bit, but the whole thing was just too much.

So... I'm going back to the pillowcase method! It looks good and I'm comfortable with it.

My mini-shade was also to try out a reverse mount. I really love the inside mount I was able to do with the above shades, but the rest of the windows don't have much clearance. It turns out they have juuuust enough room for the mounting hardware, but there will be a significant gap on the sides when the shades are down.

I really do not like valances. Reverse mounts require valances. My husband and I decided to live with the gap instead of doing a reverse mount with a valance. I might try to make the shade a little wider than the hardware, and see if I can use a piece of fiberglass rib at the top corners to hold the fabric in place beyond the track by 1/2". That would close up the gap a lot because it would then meet one of the curves in the molding (and cover up the shallower level).

Comments (10)