SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaydeeinma

newbie in MA looking for 'tried and true'

jaydeeinma
17 years ago

Hi,

I recently relocated to Metro West Boston from the West Coast where my gardening up until now has consisted of ficus trees, christmas cactus and enough hanging spider plants to almost completely block the sunlight from the porch in to our last tiny apartment.

Well, fast fwd 6 months and my DH and I are now buying a home in Western Metro Boston with 1/2 an acre of back yard. That may not seem like a whole lot of land to most NE's but to an apt dweller of several yrs it's enough to send me into a gardening-coma-shock with drool coming out of the side of mouth in awe and wonder. We're still closing escrow (enough to send me reeling back over the edge into coma-shock) but will take possession mid-Apr just in time for me to look at this lovely piece of land and say "OMG- now what?!".

So far my research here has enlightened me about leach fields (septic in front, well in back hmm ok I can handle that) all sorts of stinging biting bugs and Lyme Disease (no time like the present -10 degree weather to knock out that ominous looking bush and dark shady-tree area brushing up against the north side of the house). I think my next step is to determine what sort of low maintenance plants would be best for this region?

The back yard is surrounded by trees on 3 sides (possibly hemlock or a pine?) has the New England rocks well represented as well and plenty of sunlight comes into the back yard in the afternoon as far as I can tell. I'm sure there are some lovely plants hiding underneath all of that snow around the edges of the lawn I haven't seen yet but not too sure what I'll find or what to call it ("Hey another green plant and this one has flowers on it!").

All kidding aside- I'm feeling just a 'wee-bit' out of my league here and hoping to get some tips on plants "tried and true" that this very wise and very generous forum would care to share :-) ? I also have two lovely zinc planters aprox 2x6 I received as a wedding present two years ago that were too large to put in my apt deck I'm hoping to break out as well, container gardening seems like a good place to start-baby steps right?

Thx.

Comments (14)