SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lrobins_gw

'front border' plant for partial sun location, mid-Atlantic

lrobins
17 years ago

I am looking for a "front border" plant for the front 2 to 3 feet of a 22 ft wide x 10 ft deep bed on the side of a townhouse, filled with a variety of native shrubs and perennials. The front part of the bed was starting to look messy and poorly maintained, because of too many different plants crowded together. I decided that the best solution was to clear out the front and replant with (possibly) only one plant, aiming for a more uniform appearance. Actually, I did leave one thing in the "front border" area, a group of Zizia aptera (heart-leaved golden alexander).

Requirements are:

# 2 feet tall or less

# tolerant of partial sun / light shade (there is clear sky directly overhead, but the hours of sun are limited by townhouses and trees surrounded the bed, so it is almost like a small interior courtyard)

# preferably spring flowering (for variety, because the taller perennials in the middle and back are summer flowering)

# average, silt loam soil, medium moisture (doesn't have to be drought-tolerant because bed has a drip irrigation system), almost neutral pH (6.8)

# some spreading is good, to fill in the area, but doesn't need to be a very fast spreader

# native to mid-Atlantic region (PA - MD - VA)

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022