SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
novaplantguy_z7b_8a

Here we go again! Historic winter storm for Mid Atlantic

Well, here we go AGAIN! The mid Atlantic is under the gun again, just like we were back on 12/19/09. Conditions are going to start going down ill here in the National Capital area quickly tomorrow starting around 12PM. The difference with this storm, is that it appears to have alot more moisture with it, and will be much stronger when it redevelops off the coast. The models have really been pushing this for about 7 days now, and have pretty much all come into alignment. We knew this was going to be big, but now that it is getting to crunch time, the picture has been getting more clear. For the D.C. Metropolitan area, and for Baltimore, and Philadelphia for that matter as well, we are looking at 18-24" of snow or MORE. This storm will rapidly deepen once it moves off the coast of the Carolinas, and will not only be throwing massive amounts of moisture far inland, but will also really kick up the winds, especially along the coast of VA, MD, DC and NJ, prompting some blizzard warnings already for MD/DE/NJ coastal areas. High winds could come far inland as well. One thing that is of concern some models have been having this storm stall off of the coast of VA. This could potentially increase the snow totals for the major cities of the mid Atlantic by another 6-12".

I have to say, I have lived in Washington D.C. area my entire life, and it is very rare where we see this type of attention given to a storm, this far in advance, and this much. SO much so that almost all major school systems in the D.C. Metropolitan area have already closed for tomorrow. The school system closures started coming in as early as Thursday morning. The hardware and grocery stores here, are a madhouse, and many are running out of basic items. I saw this myself when I went to pick up a few things at the grocery store up the street. Some shelves are just bare. The parking lots are INSANE. It is the type of crowds you normally see before thanksgiving and Christmas here. There are major traffic jams just getting into and out of parking lots, and there are not enough shopping carts at stores to accommodate the crowds.

Hardware stores or any other place that carries ice melt, snow shovels, scrapers, blowers... or any other winter weather cleaning equipment, forget it, they are SOLD OUT, and have been all week. One hardware store up the street from me was on the news, they sold 350 snow shovels in 5 hours!!!!! All stores that sell this stuff is It truly is insanity. Youd think that people would go get this stuff in advance, and you would think that people would keep their snow removal items on hand. Where do they all go? LOL! Oh, and the prices, they have gone up on all that stuff. LOL! Im glad I'm prepared and keep that stuff on hand. I just don't get the "end of the world" mentality when it comes to winter storms, especially in the Washington metropolitan area. Its just crazy!

Comments (66)

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    Original Author
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh, and I forgot. Im tired, need a little sleep, and I will post more pics tomorrow.

• User
    14 years ago

Meyermike, my Trachys have gone through lots of snow, ice, and freezing rain in the last few years. For a palm, they even handle cold and WET better than most (as long as drainage and soil are good). The leaves tend to bend down in heavy snow and ice and don't break in response to weight as much as you would expect. And snow and ice do have some insulating effect in the coldest weather. In zone 5, you will need to protect the foliage. Last year, mine saw some burning at 4.0 F. but it outgrew it quickly (it actually started new growth in February and March last year). This year, the minimum was 13 F and the leaves look good. Biggest problem this year has been ridiculous wind but the building protects mostly from that. I believe Trachy fortunei is the hardiest of the true trunking palms. It's interesting, their leaves even seem to fold and take on a deeper green color like my Rhododendrons or my Acuba in response to subarctic cold (teens and lower). Then when temps break (out of the teens), leaves revert to normal. To tell you the truth, I am really disappointed not to have any snow (north of this year's weird southern/mid-Atlantic snow belt)--just south of here there are supposed to be blizzard condition--just a bit of a breeze here--WEIRD,WEIRD winter!! I don't want two feet of snow but it would be nice to see some. PS. Thundersnow is awesome!

• Related Discussions

OT Mid-Atlantic Coastal Storm

Q

Comments (13)
    Wowza, that was/is quite the weather event down here. We're flooded in, never lost power (very unusual, we almost always do) and are hunkered down for the next high tide. About 6:15 here Donn, so I'll give ya a shout as to what ours does. We did notice some recession during the "low tide" period. Weird calling it a low tide when it's lapping that close! Winds are still pretty strong, abt. 28 with gusts to 40. Should be settling down overnight as it moves NE. Batten down your hatches up there, we had 3.64 inches of rain on already saturated ground from the last 2 Nor'easters and it has NOWHERE to go. Erosion was the factor in southern Delaware. We got hammered and most of the dunes washed away. TWENTY-EIGHT FOOT WAVES!!!! I stayed up until 4am to see what the high tide would bring. It was amazing listening to the crashing and lashing happening just about 20 feet away from the house on the bay. Finally gave up my watch, got into bed fully clothed with my SHOES ON! I was prepared for flight! Took a few rides up and down the beach to check on neighbors and some homes for those who didn't get in before the roads flooded. Everyone is ok here, having mimosas, fire going and thankful we were safe. Take care up north- this is not one to take lightly. Will be posting some pics later. Stay warm and dry! Shore
    ...See More

Here we go again snowy palm lovers!

Q

Comments (4)
    Nice pic trishmick! All the snow that came today is all melted in my area, but it looks like a much bigger storm is in the works. Possibly 5 inches by me, but maybe as much as 12 or even more. The worst of the storm will probably be in the DC area and it looks like the same areas effected by the last snow storm will also be effected by this one. Still a little far in the future, but certainly one to watch. The day after the storm might drop around 15F by me so I dont think I will be keeping my palms exposed to the snow. Looks like the mid atlantic is seeing winters full rage right now, good thing is this will probably be the worst and once february is over so will the worst of winter. I think this winter was a bad one by me. The lowest temperatures of the season have been relatively mild (mid teens), but the duration of the cold has been much longer than usual which is just as damaging and the south has had colder temps than usual and a lot of it. Hopefully winter will end on schedule. Good luck!
    ...See More

Southeast / Mid Atlantic / Northeast Christmas Blizzard 2010...

Q

Comments (7)
    Hi Laura! Yeah, me too! We were planning on coming back out to Va Beach proper at some point this trip, probably today, but once it started snowing yesterday when we were out on the James River we pretty much figured that we would not be making it. We have a 4WD jeep that goes just fine, even in 2 feet of snow, but a longer trip like that became out of the question today with a foot already on the ground and still coming down extremely heavy. This is almost as bad as our 2nd worst storm last winter (we had 3 huge ones) in terms of depth, and conditions/ visibility/ winds. We were expecting some snow here, but not a BLIZZARD!!!! This kind of snow in Southeast VA is almost unheard of. Of course we are leaving to go back to DC / NoVA tomorrow, where they are getting just light snow/ flurries. Last night they were calling for 6-8" up there but it looks like they may only get an inch, if that. Ill try and get over to the palm tree "farm" about 1/2 mile away to take some pics of the hundreds of windmills in the snow. Be safe, enjoy the scenery, and I hope your palms make it just fine. I have faith they will. =o)
    ...See More

here we go again- the usual signs of spring

Q

Comments (33)
    I came across a strange little patch of completely and perfectly white bluebells years ago. They were surrounded by the usual blue variety so they really made a statement! I carried an old washtub down there and carefully dug several large clumps to transplant here and after all these years they still haven't spread too much. And yes, they still bloom snow-white. Naturally, I refer to them as my whitebells... Speaking of native blooms, I read that tradescantia (spiderwort) is notoriously hardy and easily propogated but they have been a large disappointment so far for me. Maybe this is because I initially relied on stock that I bought from a dealer instead of simply relocating some from the woods around here. I didn't think I wanted to dig up any of the stuff right here because most things do best right where they are without some human trying to 'improve' things, but maybe I should stick with a strictly local variety. If I dig a few tradescantia plants for my native bed here closer to the house, will they recover soon enough as I have read? And I'm talking about my own property and not just going about willy-nilly digging up stuff all across the county...
    ...See More
  • Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    14 years ago

Novaplantguy,

I hope all is well up in "old town"....love that area (King ST.) Thanks for the pics...Your palms look very happy tucked in with the lights!!!

Laura in VB

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

Im also a little disappointed to miss this huge storm. We didnt do too bad though, abotu 5 inches here. Just 15 miles north and you dont even have to shovel the snow, and 15 miles south and they have a foot of snow! The side streets look pretty messy, but I think the main streets are clear enough for traffic to go through.

Looks like another storm on Wednesday and that will head much farther north and also affect the entire mid atlantic. I dont like the snow, but I do like a big storm as long as it it doesnt become deadly. I really would like winter to end soon, but it looks like february is going to be a snowy, cold month. Hopefully this summer will be really nice and warm to make up for all the snow total records this storm is making.

Good luck!

• User
    14 years ago

I was reading recently that El Nino IS weakening so West and East coast storms will be lessening and more normal conditions should occur. On the down side, they're expecting an active hurricane season w.o. El Nino this summer. Not even a single snow flurry here but heard about the next one coming!--Just a kid at heart I guess.

• jimhardy
    14 years ago

I read that about El Nino weakening too,doesn't mean much does it?
    When you consider that it was at it's peak in early January!
    I really wonder sometimes if these people have any clue what they are talking about!
    Now Cali is getting another storm,
    This winter will without question go out with a bang!

BTW

The forecasters really nailed the D.C.etc forecast-you gotta give them credit for that!

We may get 8" of snow Monday-get ready for a wild finish to this winter!!!!!!

• User
    14 years ago

I don't know, they were right about this latest East coast storm for days in advance to within a few miles. Amazing!--As far as El Nino, we are still in the rainy season for the Pacific coast. Don't expect the equatorial Pacific to turn off overnight.

• jimhardy
    14 years ago

I don't think it's over by a long shot,in fact it's just starting-as far as the wild winter finish goes.

Here is the article on El Nino I was referring to-for what it's worth (-;

Here is a link that might be useful: El Nino

• steve_nj
    14 years ago

I measured about 17" at storm's end. However, I'm sure a few inches settled or 'slushified' on the warm ground. I'm guessing about 20' fell, but not much drifting.

• don_licuala
    14 years ago

What a bunch of whiners. It snows in DC every year. Sometimes it snows a lot. Cyclically, DC will receive BIG snowfalls avery 15-20 years. Get over it.

Imagine if the early settlers were a bunch of crybabies like today's folks are.

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Hey everyone,

Some one better check in on Novaplantguy!! Either he has been buried in a snow drift, accidently plowed into a snow bank, frozen to death trying to save the porr palms, or still sleeping after hours of shoveling!! Where in the worl are you Novaplantguy! I hope you are having plenty of delicious hot drinks to keep you warm...Now they are calling this storm the curse of Obama!!

I hope you post some picks soon and that you are ok.

Hi Njoasis!!! Man, seems like forever before our plants will be able to see the great outdoors ha..Sheesh!

Don, are you just kidding? And what zone , or should I say state do you live in? lololol

From what I heard, my sister was in Teneesee when it snowed 3 inches last week, and they closed the schools down for 3 days...They called it a snow emergency....Ouch

Well, personally I think our weather is going to average below normal for quite sometime. I guess our plants and us will just have to get use to it..

I did notice something weird today...We never see Robins here until about the end of March, and yet there are flocks and flocks of them hanging around here lately, something I have never seen before..Quite strange!

Nite

Mike

• paul_
    14 years ago

Been rather odd ... here we really haven't had a serious snowfall since December and even that was rather unremarkable by our standards. It's been cold but that's about it.

• User
    14 years ago

I have NO snow here.--Not a flake. The cut off from NO snow to crippling, record, historic snow made this storm remarkable to me. Well, this next storm looks to take up where the last left off (NYC/NJ metro, Long Island, and Southern New England). This next one is supposed to be north of the Mason-Dixon line (Philadelphia looks like it'll be able to share the wealth with this one too). The Northeast corridor (Boston to DC and beyond) is really going to be closed for business after this one. Better to have that snow now than back in December--that sun is beginning to feel hot so hopefully it wouldn't linger for weeks! Stay tuned!

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Your so right! The snow is feeling real good about now..You know it's stronger when the inside of your car is nice and warm after being parked out in the sun all day, even though it is 23 degrees outside.. How sweet!

I really don't mind the snow about the middle of this month and beyond..It look's like it is headed this way.

Where in the world did Novaplantguy go? I hope he and his palms survived that brutal storm...

Mike..:;-)

• jimhardy
    14 years ago

Not much hope for warming anytime soon(just as well,I guess,we usually pay for it later)as snow covers 2/3rds of the country.

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Jim, I guess there is an upside, lol

At least it won't overly warm up so that everything thaws, starts to grow, the goes into a deep freeze again..One year I lost half my trees to an early growing season, then winter for days again...Crazy

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey there,

Sorry for the delay in posting. Just so much to do, see....etc. SO many incredible stories to tell. Suffice it to say that the forecast was correct. From the timing, to the accumulations, they hit this nail dead on the head. Once again, true to form, National Airport, which is one mile from me was one of the lowest totals, measuring 17.8", surpassing the blizzard of 1996. I live 1 mile from National airport, and I measured no less than 20" and no more than 26".The wind blew it around so much its hard to get an accurate measurement. 23" seems to be the most common number measured in and around my area, although some measured has high as 30". 27" was a very common number throughout the entire Washington Metropolitan area. Snow drifts of 3-5 feet were/ are common. Blizzard conditions were common, and whiteout condiditons did happen several times during the event. Visibilities were from at best 3 tenths of a mile, to often times less than 50 feet. Commonly, you could see about 1 city block. Winds were in the 30-40MPH range. Snow fall rates at times were 2+ inches per hour, and at 3 different times during this storm, we had THUNDERSNOW, with frequent lightining. It was during these thunder snowstorms when at times the snowfall rates would increase to nearly 4" per hour. It literally looked fake at times, as if someone was on he roof dumping buckets of snow over the side.

All but the final 4 or 5 inches was a very heavy wet snow, which was the reason for such massive numbers of power outages (hundreds of thousands) and numerous building collapses. Buildings are STILL collapsing even today. A 102 year old chruch as collapsed completely, a hanger at Dulles airport has collapsed, A fire house, a post office, a school, a shopping center... collapsed. Just to name a few. And the trees, forget it. There are trees bent, broken, or down, even uprooted, all over the area, on power lines, and over roads. There are still nearly 100,000 people without power that I am seeing on the news. Our subway system, METRO, suspended above ground service at 11PM on Friday evening, and will remain limited to only under ground service at least through today. METRO bus service is still also suspended, except for on a very limited basis. (about 8 lines out of a couple hundred) Most side streets remain untouched. Secondary roads are not very good, Man roads are passable, even stretches of more than 1 lane (were talking one lane for BOTH directions) and the interstates are in fair shape with 2 lanes, sometimes 3 available, but keep in mind that most of this is just very packed snow, except on the interstates, where there is a fair amount of slushy pavement. It has not been above freezing since about 12PM friday, and last n ight was in the low teens in the city, as is expected for the next few nights, with highs around 30. One bright spot, yesterday and today were both sunny. Today we MAY nudge above 32 for a time. Snow removal has become a problem as well, as there is simply just no where to put it. There is also no where for anyone to walk, so all foot traffic (and ski traffic) is in the roads as well, creating even more congestion.

However, we are once again under a winter storm watch, with potentially another 5-10 inches of snow Tuesday afternoon thru Wednesday afternoon. For places that it snows all the time like ski resorts or something, this is fine. For this area, well lets just say the word I would use to describe what it has done would be "crippling". Anyway, wont bore you with anymore typing.

Because there are so many photos I am only going to post the same pics as above to show you for comparison, and perhaps a couple more as teasers. I will link you to the album where the rest of the photos are located so you can view them at your leisure.

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok lets get this out of the way first. don_licuala, if you dont like a thread on here, DON'T CLICK ON IT and DON'T RESPOND! You get a nice 1 finger salute from this native Washingtonian. Ill leave it to your "imagination" as to which finger it is.

Now, on to some photos: Here are the after photos from above:

And a few more:

Car dealership

20' tall trees behind my place.

Alexandria, VA or Aspen CO? lol.

The link to the album is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blizzard of 2010 DC

• brooklyngreg
    14 years ago

The car dealership photo should be submitted in a contest. You can hear the silence if your familiar with deep snows, lol.

I would have covered those trunking palms buds (top of palm) with plastic, they are more delicate than the trunk. Freezing temps combined with water/ice can kill the bud.

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

And yet again, here we go. This is absolutely unbelievable. This is going to make an already very bad an d dangerous situation, possibly devastating. I wonder how many more buildings will collapse? This winter, (and this week) may end up being the worst of my entire life here in the Washington Metropolitan area, and I am 38 years old. This is on top of the 2+ FEET we already have on the ground from Friday/Saturday's 30 hour superstorm. Here it is:
    ... WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM NOON TUESDAY TO 7 PM EST WEDNESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STERLING VIRGINIA HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM NOON TUESDAY TO 7 PM EST WEDNESDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE... SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS... 10 TO 20 INCHES.

* TIMING... MID-AFTERNOON TUESDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY.

* TEMPERATURES... TEMPERATURES NEAR FREEZING AT THE ONSET TUESDAY AFTERNOON. TEMPERATURES WILL DROP INTO THE UPPER 20S TUESDAY NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY.

* WINDS... LIGHT SOUTHEASTERLY WINDS TUESDAY BECOMING NORTHWESTERLY 15 TO 25 MPH WEDNESDAY.

• jimhardy
    14 years ago

Nice pics Ken
    Must have been fun!
    Those kind of events only happen a few time a year,er I mean 100 years-and now 2 in one year.
    I read on a weather blog that it's a 1 in 10,000 shot to have 2 events like this(Dec-Feb)in the same winter-they do love there terms!
    I like the car pics,who wouldn't?
    Here's a link to a interesting article(blog)that I was just reading-

Here is a link that might be useful: Recent snows

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Jim! Ill read it here shortly. Yes, this winter has been terrible, but two of these kinds of storms within the same 5 day period? What are the chances of that? Im not sure this area has seen that much snow in such a short time, ever. Incredible. I think i would rather deal with possible hurricanes. This is most likely my last winter in the DC area,(thank goodness im sick of real winters) and well, I guess I am going out with a bang. LOL! FLA is looking better every minute.

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

I can't wait to get home ken and see the pics..Thank you and I am glad they dug you out of the snow bank!

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

Great pics! Looks like this next storm will be lots of trouble also (possibly more records, but I dont think it will bring the amazing snow accumulations last weekends storm brought). Possibly over a foot by me, maybe as much as 20 inches! Wednesday looks like a nightmare for traveling anywhere from DC to NYC. Blizzard conditions are possible along the coast with power outages. Still will be another day before the forecast becomes definite, but Im all ready under a winter storm watch (probably a warning as the storm gets closer). There is also still snow on the ground from the weekend storm even in my area so the surfaces will be around freezing and the snow shouldnt have much of a problem sticking.
    Good luck! Hard to believe we are getting 2 HUGE snowstorms in 1 week, Fortunately (or unfortuantely depending on your view) I didnt get much from the weekend snow, but this one on wednesday looks big.

• User
    14 years ago

Believe it or not, up until now the local winter has not been too bad, neither in temps (lowest 13 F. on one night) nor in snow (worst was in December--now there is none), and a lot of sun. But this next storm sounds like serious business for Long Island, NYC/NJ Metro, and southern New England. I think the so-called Greenland block has been keeping all the southern storms away (unusually warm up there by the way all winter). It sounds like we might get over a foot of snow with blizzard conditions near coastal areas. If you think back, the Mid-Atlantic has been getting hit since September (what was that hurricane/nor'ester hybrid storm--"Nor'Ida"). Sounds like local conditions are about to change dramatically and soon. Unfortunately, I'm old enough to remember other El Nino winters and they all follow the SAME pattern--West coast rains move east and then get juiced up along the Gulf and get turbo-charged once they reach Hatteras and the warm Gulf Stream. From Hatteras storm centers often then slam Eastern L.I. and Cape Cod. Batten down the hatches!!

14 years ago

Novaplantguy,

What beautiful pictures!!! I can't belive what is happening in DC...Hope you stay safe with this next storm coming around the bend!!! I'll be out flying for this next weather maker...hopefully they will cancel early and get the airports back to somewhat normal operations...(yea right!!!)

Thanks for all of the info!!! Great stuff!!!!

Laura in VB

• jimhardy
    14 years ago

Unprecedented to have 2 storms of this magnitude in one winter since record keeping began in the late 1800s according to Jeff Masters.Now possibly a third on the way,unbelievable and.... the dynamics are in place for another!
    The question is if the cold will be in place?
    It may just be,we are getting snow from this northern jet system now before it fazes with the southern jet system and they have just lowered our overnight temp Wednesday night to -8(F) with the new snow pack in place...so it's possible their will be more snow somewhere over there to the east even after this next one-one storm at a time though!

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the comments/ well wishes guys! Im ready for this to be over. Were still under the gun for 10-15+" of snow in the immediate Washington Metropolitan area, with 1-2' to our northwest to northeast. The big story with this, possibly even bigger than the snow amounts will be the winds. The bulk of the snow will be late tonight, and and all day tomorrow. Winds will begin to pick up late tonight, and will increase dramatically tomorrow morning throughout the day. Sustained winds of 20-30MPH, with gusts of 50+MPH for the daytime tomorrow in the immediate metro area here, and much higher to our north and to our east, along the Chesapeake bay and the Atlantic coast.

The stores are just about bare. Just went out to pick up a couple more things (were still very well stocked up from the first storm) and it is rather nerve racking. Traffic jams everywhere, and virtually nothing left to buy. I stopped in to our neighborhood hardware store here in Del Ray to pick up more lamp oil for the oil lamps just in case because this time we very well may lose power, and the line for the next shovel shipment which was due in today, was amazing. about 50 people in line just for shovels, and another 150+ on the "waiting list".

Thank goodness this will be our last storm for at least a while!

• brooklyngreg
    14 years ago

Lets look at the bright side. Snow is an insulator, and if the palm bud is covered the palm is even safer.

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

Looks like this time all the major cities will be seeing similar accumulations. All the schools (or at least most) in the NYC area are already closed tomorrow when Blizzard conditions are likely and according to weather.com, so are power outages. Travel will be next to impossible at times. The last time I remember a forecast like this might have been back in 2003, maybe 2006. But all my palms are protected and even if the power goes out im not concerned because snow is a pretty good insulator for the palm's protection, and the temperatures shouldnt get low enough to kill any of my outdoor palms.

Good luck everyone and I hope to see lots more snowy pics!

• User
    14 years ago

Snow has started here just about a half hour ago. Thundersnow and possible blizzard conditions expected tomorrow--maybe 18 inches of snow. This is also going to a fairly long duration storm with snow showers and gale winds into Thursday morning rush hour. I did notice the Spring bulbs though starting to emerge from the ground so there is some sign of Spring!

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

Its been snowing for about an hour and a half now by me, some is sticking on the sidewalks, but nothing really significant yet, it seems like it might be a little bit of a mix right now. I would much rather have all snow than a mix because a mix is MUCH harder to shovel whereas the powdery snow is nice and easy to shovel (bad for snowballs though!). This snow is forecasted to continue all the way into wed. night and im not sure if it will be clear in time for the Thursday commute. I would love to see (or hear) some thundersnow.

As far as totals go it looks like Long Island will get around 10 inches with some possible mixing especially early. NYC may have some mixing in the coastal parts and southern parts also early, but it seems like 12-18 inches is possible from the NYC metro and surrounding areas of new jersey south into philadelphia and northern parts of the Delmarva Penn. Areas away from the coast may see more than 18 inches. The wind will really pic up especially along the coast, but the whole area can see wind gusts at or higher than 40 mph! That will do a good job in knocking out some power and creating little visibilities. Im going to try to post some pics of the snow tomorrow.

The spring bulbs are coming up by me too. I notice the irises are really starting to peak now, about 1/4 of the inch up now. Not too bad. At least its a little sign of spring on the way. Also I dont know if its just me, but some of the buds on the trees are looking a little larger and the sun is definitely getting stronger because my plants by my southwest windows are growing really fast now.

Good luck with the storm everyone!

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, 4" so far. About an hour ago, it clicked over to snow / rain mix, and is more rain than snow, and its coming down good @ 28F. Everything is icing up, and we could get significant icing, then, 5-8" more snow on top of all of the snow and ice were getting now. Blizzard conditions should be kicking in around 6am with winds gusting to over 45MPH, and sustained at 30+. With all the snow AND ice, this is a recipe for a dangerous night tonight and day tomorrow. The rain will change back to snow sometime in the next couple hours or so, then were back on. Tomorrow will bring severe blowing and drifting, with once again drifts predicted of 4-6 feet, and blizzard to whiteout conditions for much of the day. Even after the snow stops around 7-9 tomorrow night here, were still going to have blizzard conditions from all of the blowing and drifting. I got lucky last time and did not lose power. With how this is shaping up, and the fact i live in a very old neighborhood with lots of massive trees and overhead power lines, I think maybe this time I may not be so lucky. Good luck everyone!

• JohnnieB
    14 years ago

It is truly a mess out there. We got at least 24" of snow from the first storm, and now this second storm has already dumped another 4 or 5 inches with at least as much more on the way. My palms are completely buried and I don't expect to see them again for several more weeks! The good news is that the temperatures haven't been terribly cold and the snow is an effective insulator, so I'm hoping that aside from mechanical damage from the crushing snow (which can be significant), my palms will recover quickly, once the snow finally melts!

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

8-10" so far in my neighborhood. Winds gusting near 50MPH. Wind gusts as high as 60-65MPH reported in Northern VA. Whiteout conditions the past 3 hours continue to persist. Visibility at times is less than 15 feet. I honestly have honestly NEVER seen conditions this bad in my entire lifetime in Washington and I am a native Washingtonian. This truly is incredible stuff!
    It really is hard to fathom exactly what 15' or less visibility is like.

Here is just a small taste of what I am seeing in the photo below:

Winds gusting near 50MPH. Wind gusts as high as 60-65MPH reported in Northern VA. Whiteout conditions the past 3 hours continue to persist. Visibility at times is less than 15 feet. I honestly have honestly only seen conditions this bad once in my entire lifetime. This truly is incredible stuff!

Here is just a small taste of what I am seeing just in my neighborhood today:

Whiteout conditions. At at times that building across the street completely disappears. In fact, several times I cannot even see the sidewalk which is about 15' away. 50+ mph winds. In the photo below, behind the telephone pole that is barely visible is GW middle school which we have been unable to see for the last 3 hours now. It is a 4 story tall very old building built in the 1930s. It used to be GW High School, the high school Jim Morrison of The Doors graduated from. This is just absolutely incredible stuff!!!!!

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

This snow looks really heavy in wieight. As of 10AM here in the NYC area we have picked up probably a little over 3-4 inches, but the snow is just so wet and heavy. The power lines are already being weighed down, but the pine trees are being weighed down the most. I dont think ive ever seen them weighed down that much! Right now its starting to sleet so that will make the snow much harder to shovel but the snow accumulations might be less. Ill definitely post some pics. Good luck everyone. Novaplantguy, you must be buried in snow by now!

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

I just saw your new post novaplantguy. Looks pretty bad now by you. Very hard to see out there. Visibilities arent too bad by me right now, but im sure everything you are getting will come to me later.

Good luck!

• User
    14 years ago

So far, we have snow (heavy wet snow) but not the wind--yet. "Blizzard" warnings are all over the place now. We'll see. I've lived here all my life and have experienced many heavy snowstorms but only one storm which would have met the older definition of a blizzard (which included very low temps in addition to the wind). Actually, it doesn't even have to be snowing to be considered a blizzard ("ground blizzards" have the wind whipping up the snow on the ground and reducing visibility to near 0). This snow is heavy with a very high water content. It's just a very different experience to be out in this type of wet and cold storm (only marginally cold enough for snow) as opposed to one with arctic cold, gale force winds and tiny crystals that actually sting when they hit your face. Not sure which is worse--but it would seem that this storm's snow is more likely to drag down power lines. Stay tuned--it's not over for the Mid-Atlantic or the N.E..

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Couple of photos I emailed to our ABC affiliate (7) here in Washington, and they called me back and asked me the exact location of this. It has been on the news several times now. This was about 3 hours ago. Around 10AM crews and about 30 vehicles (plows, front end loaders, bull dozers, and a 150 foot crane) came to the very large middle school across the street (GW Middle School), and feverishly were moving snow with all the very heavy equipment. This is a possible roof collapse or buckle. The school is in the photo above but you cant see it. You CAN see it below. This is a 3 story building that was built in the 1930s. It used to be a high school and it is the school that Jim Morrison of The Doors graduated high school from. Fairly historic building. SNow blowers and about 15 men were lifted to the roof and were shoveling and snow blowing the roof. Im not sure if there is any damage or not, or if it is just proactive to prevent damage, but it was a MAJOR operation.
    Couple photos below:

There are also many trees down, traffic lights down from the winds, and of course, power outages galore.

Still near whiteout conditions, still snowing fairly heavily, winds still gusting around 45MPH or so, and it is now 16F, with about 9-10" on the ground.

National Airport is now 6 tenths of 1 inch of snow away from setting the all time record for a single winter in terms of snow, since records were kept back in the late 1800s. Were at almost 55" at National, and Dulles airport is now at 72" of snow for the winter of 09/10 just slightly over 1 inch less than the snowiest place in the United States this winter, thus far. Again, incredible.

Again, lived here my entire life, born and raised native Washingtonian, and I have never seen conditions quite like this, ever.

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

Wow, you have it much worse than by me. Its 33F right now, but the snow is finally really picking up. The wind is picking up too, but nothing really bad yet.

Great pics, you really give a good idea of the damage you got. Im sure you must be seeing some power outages around the area too.

Good luck! At least we are now about half way through the storm and there's only another month before snow like this will be completely out of the picture.

14 years ago

Novaplantguy,TZ,NJoasis,

I hope you all are ok up north...Unbelievable photos!!!
    My entire 2 day crew was cancelled due to the blizzard conditions...I can honestly say that I have never seen conditions like this either!!!

Stay warm and good luck to you all...

I also have been watching the weather channel and they were doing an interview with the locals in Vancouver about how they were having springlike conditions when they are hosting the winter olympics...They showed a lady near the water and she was standing next to a row of Palms (looked like Windmills)
    Quite interesting to see Palms in BC!!!! Check it out!!!

Have a great day everyone!!!

Laura in VB

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

As of 4:48PM, 10" here in Del Ray. We have all just lived through & witnessed HISTORY! We have officially broken the all time record for the snowiest winter in history, set 126 years ago when records were first kept, at National Airport. Still snowing lightly and still seeing ground blizzard conditions with 30mph winds. This winter, and this particular storm has been epic. never seen conditions this incredibly bad in my lifetime as a Native Washingtonian. I will post a few more pics shortly, and a link to an album on this incredible 2nd blizzard in 4 days.

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

Laura...
    Actually a lot of my inspiration for growing cold tolerant palms comes from the palms in Vancouver. I saw some pics of them thriving there and said to myself that if they can do that in canada than I can do it by me! It is true that Vancouver does usually have milder winters than me (they are considered a zone 8a-b), but just last year they saw some single digits, and snow is pretty common (but not really very much, rain is the predominant precipitation). Vancouver is actually the warmest city to ever host the winter olymics according to Stephanie Abrams of the weather channel. Also the palms you saw are probably windmill palms because they do use them in public plantings. Vancouver is pretty much the Florida of Cananda.

Novaplantguy, glad you at least broke a record for the snow. I think DC, Philly, and Baltimore all broke some seriously high records. Pretty impressive. Originally this thread was just for the historic weedend storm, but it turned out that in less than a week another historic storm hit! Some students havent had school just about all week in places like DC. I didnt break any all time snow records by me because I didnt get much from the winter storm that hit in the weekend, but I did get a lot from this one. Now im at nearly a foot of snow and its still going. I posted some picks on a separate thread. Very impressive snow fall on the east coast. Its going to take a lot if heat to melt this snow, but since there is so much snow, I dont think there will be any suddenly warm temps.

Good luck!

• User
    14 years ago

It actually seems fairly mild still temperature wise (above 30 F) so it never was really cold and the snow was much heavier than I expected it to be--very high water content and piled on to posts, fences and trees to ridiculous high levels. .Yeah, I think the subtropicals are making out good this year so far but I did get some branch damage on M. grandifloras--expect they took a hit in the South too. Thankful there was no loss of electricity and wind has not been a factor so far surprisingly.--Snow bond at the oasis for the time being though.

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

UNBELIEVABLE!!!! What the heck..Must be the global warming Al Gore talks about!lol

Seriously everyone. I sit here in awe at these pictures and experiences! Novaplantguy, thank you for those pics! I look at all 180 of them!!!
    Please keep us posted on the rest..You know, the worst thing that could happen now is if it instantly warms up and the rains come..It has happened here in Mass with epic flooding! I pray you are all ok.

Now the weird thing. There is absolutely no snow on the ground up in the mountains here in New England. In fact, most snow mobile trails are closed. I only have NO snow on the ground in my yard..NUTS ha?

They are talking a drought for spring if we don't get some soon.

Dave, our poor plumerias..I was hoping to be able to put them outside my March..But the weather men are saying that if this stupid High pressure off of Greenland that has been stuck there since last year that is causing all the cold air to rush down on us with an unusual dip in the jet stream, they are not expecting us to even get a warm spring or summer once again.. No Bermuda highs aloud!I give up!

Mike..:-)

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

Okay 2 trees are down on my small block! One is on a parked car in their driveway and the other is blocking the street and no one can pass including snow plows.

Heres the pics of the downed trees....

• jimhardy
    14 years ago

Glad things are winding down(-;

Interestingly there is a storm dropping out of Manitoba(anther Manitoba mauler,same place your current storm came from!)
    that is on the heals-so to speak-of this one,so it is possible that another is on the way Monday.
    To early to tell the strength of this next one but it bares watching!

It ain't over just yet!
    Great pics guys- The next storm-"The day after tomorrow"?????

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Long day. Its finally stopped about 11PM. 12" here, and probably very close to that at National Airport. Still lots of wind and blowing and drifting, but the skies are now clear. Yesterday, up until about 4am it was a "warm storm" with temps around 32. Its been below 20F since about 8am here. The snow held and held and held on for longer than expected. This was definitely the storm of a lifetime, EVEN IF we had not had the 2 feet here last weekend, just the sheer conditions this storm produced, especially the whiteouts, and the near hurricane force winds along with 4-6 foot drifts, countless downed trees...etc. etc. etc. was a once in a lifetime event here in the Mid Atlantic. However, since we did have 2 feet on the ground already, it was just all the more historic.

TZ7, Be safe! I hope you guys dont get it as bad as we did here, especially in terms of the winds. Many of our streets look like the photos you posted, and some were with downed traffic signals. Post more pics if you can! Suffice it to say, all of my palms, including the large trachy in the pot wrapped in plactic and xmas lights, are buried. The in ground palms were buried as of last saturday, and now they are under 3 feet. My smaller trachy unfortunately had spear pull, although that may be more attributed to the fact I left the xmas lights on it one day when we hit 49, and the palm cooked to well over 100F im sure. It somewhat dessicated after that, and has not looked good since. I think these storms just pushed it over the edge. Well see if I cant get it to come back.

Ok Im going to bed. Ill post more photos tomorrow. Night all! Be safe.

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone. The snow is pretty much ending here too, We reported 14.5 inches. The wind wasnt as bad as I thought it would be, but I guess there must have been some pretty bad gusts to knock down the trees like that. Very interesting storm and this time even NYC got a good amount (maybe even a little more than DC this time). Jimhardy you are right because more snow is in the forecast for monday! I dont remember snow ever falling this frequently in my area (or at least at this intensity). I wonder if there will be a lot, maybe this thread will continue with the 3rd historic winter storm for the mid atlantic! Sorry to hear about your trachy novaplantguy, One of mine is safely covered in its protection and the other is completely covered in snow (not a single bit of it can be seen!). Some snowdrifts go up to 2 feet! Fortunately my pindo is at 50F in its protection right now, and has gotten up to 72 since mid december. Unfortunately my potted pindo seems to be dead, but im still waiting a little longer.
    Right now temps are really hovering around freezing and some of the snow is turning into slush. But it will freeze overnight, so all that snow will turn into ice if its not shoveled. Havent seen a snow plow in a few hours now and the tree still hasnt been cleared. I wonder what would happen if a snowplow comes down the road before the tree is cleared. Im going to try to get some more pics of this before the sun melts it off all the trees. I hope you can all get in some pics of this second snow storm. I enjoyed your pics novaplantguy, you got some great ones.
    Good luck!

• dragontek
    14 years ago

Better you then me.

Up here in northeastern Connecticut -the first storm we received nothing

yesterdays storm about 2"

Thus far this winter- about 25"

The NOAA weather prediction maps-both for temperature and precipitation predicted this

see http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/two_class.php

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider