SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtgirl_wt

here we go again- the usual signs of spring

dirtgirl
19 years ago

Last night was just too much. As soon as my husband left for work (he's cold natured! :) ) I went around the house throwing all the windows open, propped open the doors and screen doors and just let that wonderful night air come rolling through. It was maybe 60 out there still, the frogsong has been going hot and heavy for at least a week, and our nesting barred owls were chuckling and purring at each other, with fuzzy chicks not too far off in the darkness. I could smell the damp leaves and even the creek.

What a peaceful night I had ahead of me.

I ambled back into the bathroom and was washing my face, happily noticing the fresh sweet air slowly replacing the heavy stuff of the past few months (ok, I admit it...I do cheat once in a while and open a window even when it's freezing outside--gotta have some fresh air no matter how cold it is). My plan was to turn off the heat, leave everything open, bundle up in a few extra quilts and sleep to the sounds of another approaching spring. A fine plan, provided I was up in time to close everything back up and have the temperature back around 68 before the Hub got home.

My sense of contentedness was short-lived.

About the time I was getting after the last traces of soap on my forehead, something considerably large and dark drifted by at the very edge of my field of vision, and I actually ducked my head thinking it might be a wasp drawn to the vanity lights over my sink. It turned and came back at me and I realized it was indeed coming after me with PURPOSE at about the same time that I recognized what it was. Damn if it wasn't one of those big purplish-black-later-season mosquitoes!! I could not allow myself to believe it. It's only February. I knocked it into the sink of soapy water and stared at that proboscis and those flailing legs and thought to myself: open doors. cool house. one immobile warm-blooded creature to zero in on. I jerked the stopper on the sink, making sure the blood-sucking flotsam went with it, and went around slamming doors and checking screens for holes. And I did see a few winged creatures flitting about the livingroom but I could never catch them in time to see if they were just midges or something worse.

I still can't believe it, not just a mosquito, but one of THOSE mosquitoes. Come on, we did actually have a winter this year! How much ice does it take??

And to think I was going to get myself one of those wonderful Pawley's Island hammocks to hang out in the trees for my birthday in March!

Comments (33)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus