SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaguar325_gw

When to sow False Indigo seeds

jaguar325
14 years ago

Hi, newbie here - if this is a dumb question that I can easily find answers to somewhere on the site, I apologize but have not been able to find the exact answer I am looking for with multiple searches.

My question is; what is the best timing and method of sowing False Indigo seeds for a northern (central Minnesota) climate? I'd prefer a method/timing that is easy - even if the survival rate is lower. As long as some plants make it, I will be happy since I have so many seeds I can afford a higher mortality rate. I read some posts that led me to question whether I should sow them now while we've still got 4-6 weeks of relatively warm weather and little chance of frost since this might cause the seeds to actually start germinating yet this season. Should I wait until later? Timing here can be tricky because I wait too long in the fall, we can get snow and not see the ground again until late March to early April(due to shade from pine trees).

BACKGROUND: I talked my local nurseryman into letting me take a chance on planting 5 mature False Indigo plants (3-4 ft. high and 3-4 ft. in diameter). They seem to be doing just fine with little negative reaction after 3-4 weeks in the ground. I think my success comes from him digging-out gigantic roots and me getting them replanted the same day. The plants are full of seed pods that have been black for some time and have started to crack open. I am going to leave some on the plant for winter interest but also want to collect some to try sowing along an outside edge of woods (unfortunately, one of the few places I have plenty of sun).

I have already had some success with sowing seeds from Snakeroot, Turtlehead, Jack-in-the-Pulpit, Baneberry, Wood Rue, etc.. With those seeds, I typically just throw them on the ground in the fall as they reach maturity. I sow different plants in different spots based on moisture and sunlight. My soil is a very good and will have a light layer of woodland debris "mulch" (leaves, pine needles, etc.) through the winter and into spring. We blow off the thick leaves in fall so the remaining layer is not too deep for a seedling to find its way through in the spring.

Thanks in advance for help with this!

Big K

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!