SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wreken_gw

Mulching a new garden with new plants! Did I make A BIG Error?

wreken
18 years ago

Hello everyone, I am brand new to Flower gardening, but I dove in to it with both feet. I would appreciate your help on this.

This past spring, I prepared (3) large perrenial gardens in my back yard. 1-40'x6'(perennial flowers); 1-25'x15' (perenial flowers)oval; 1-12'x6'(hosta garden); all with sod removal, then tilling, then mounding with additional black dirt, then installing edging. By the time I was done, it was too late to receive new plant deliveries because it was now summer, so I had to wait till fall for fall shipping.

Thoughout this fall. Ive been receiving and planting all my orders of the perenial flower gardens. All different types of plants, some potted, some bare roots, and lots of bulbs.

Prior to receiving my plants, Ive seen how the exposed beds eroded in the summer from rain and runoff from the mounds, So I knew i had to add mulch asap to prevent erosion.

Heres the question, After all my planting was done, we had our first couple of frosts. Most of the foliage from any of my potted plants from my shippments have withered.

Last weekend, I hade a large qty. of wood chips delivered and I spread the chips evenly at all beds. Approx. 3-4 inches.I coveres all areas because I could not tell where any of the new plants were without foliage.

Did I just put the kabosh on any growth opportunity to all my new plants for next spring???????? Did I suffocate them now??

What will be the results from my actions?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
More Discussions