SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

Planning new BIG garden! Help with crop rotation plans???

Stacey Collins
15 years ago

(cross-posted on organic gardening)

Hello folks. I have gardenend for 10 hears in a small urban plot. My organic veg bed was about 100+ square feet, and I did intensive succession planting to get the most out of our short growing season (Maine).

I'm very excited because we moved last fall to a new house with almost an acre. I tilled up about 800-1000 sf garden area last November, and got some (not enough, but that's another story!) cow manure tilled in at the same time.

Now it's time to plan and order seeds. I have a question about crop rotation. I totally understand the concept and have tried to rotate different crop families before (difficult in my old tiny garden) and want to do it properly this time. The problem is, all the things I read talk about dividing the area into like 4 equal beds and the rotating the families.

The problem I have with planning that is that I plant WAY more of the tomato/pepper/eggplant family than I do of, say, alliums, legumes, cruciferous. So I can't figure out how to make the rotations come out evenly! I am sure there's some obvious answer that I am missing here, duh, what is it?

If it matters, I am planning to do raised rows (hilled up, no physical borders. I have alwasy had small raised beds before so this is new for me) with somewhat permanent paths between then (wood chip paths) to prevent soil compaction.

Any advice appreciated!

Comments (2)