SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Please review my planting/rotation plan for errors...

Our vegetable beds are about finished and about to start planting this week. I've been vegetable gardening in a smaller space so had limited types of vegetables, and with a space that is almost triple what it was, I plan on growing a lot more. So I'm not used to having to fit all of these together and haven't been able to rotate before. We now have 5 beds.

I've been reading the forum and picked up a lot of information and came up with a plan, but would like to know if I am overlooking something. What will work, what won't work? For instance, not sure I can fit peppers in front of tomato plants in the same bed. And in EW2 bed, some of those plants will be done early summer. Can I utilize the space more efficiently?

I also have read conflicting information about the wisdom of grouping plants by 'families' which may make it easier for pests to find, but at least with the plants that need support, they do need to be grouped together, right?

The melon, squashes in the EW4 Bed, will be in a 4x12 bed that is adjacent to a mulched area that they could overflow onto. I thought that would be better than trellising them and shading the beds behind them.

This would be Year 1 in a four year rotation plan.

Year 1

N/S1 Bed [Vertical Support 4x17]
Peas
Pole Beans
Bush Beans
*Cucumbers

E/W1 Bed [Vertical Support 4x20]
Asparagus
*Tomatoes
*Peppers

EW/2 Bed [4x12]
^Broccoli