SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emmie9999

Planning ahead for new garden: crop rotation question (picture)

emmie9999
16 years ago

Hi everyone:

I have posted ehre once or twice, and greatly appreciate all the knowledge you have all shared! I have a project I am working on, and I am hoping you can all help me out a little bit.

I have a veggie garden currently, it's about 5 feet wide by 25 feet long. Here is a picture: {{gwi:80855}} That is a lasagna bed starting there! I did plant in it this season, but have no new pictures yet. It's doing well so far! From the perspective of the photo, you are looking south by southwest. The sun comes up in the morning kinda over the back of your left shoulder, if that makes sense.

I would like to build a series of four raised beds in this space, each about 4 feet by 5 feet. The first would be closest to you in the picture, with the next one beyond it, etc until the end at the very south section. I'm planning to do that this fall, and I am also planning next year's seed order already.

I know what I want to grow, but my biggest puzzle is: can I fit it all in, and how will I ever rotate it? I'm concerned about tall crops blocking the sun from others, but I also know these will need some rotating every eyar, and I'm not sure how I can do that with 4 beds marching in a row heading south. If I kept all the tall stuff on the north end (which is closest to you in the picture), then they would always be in that garden, and that might not be the greatest thing.

Here is what I already plant:

tomatoes

peppers (bell and some chili like jalapeno)

eggplant

brussel sprouts

beans (probably bush)

zuchinni

watermelon (we are trying it this year)

Here is what I would love to add:

potatoes

corn

carrots

cucumber

leeks

lettuce

spinach

broccoli

peas

I do have The Vegetable Bible, and it has helped me understand what should follow what. However, if I rotated through everything, I would eventually have (as an example) corn in the most southern spot, and that would block sun from the tomatoes.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking to figure out if this is at all realistic, and if so, how it would possibly work. By the way, I am talking about fairly small amounts of everything. My DH hates most veggies. so a lot of this is just for me! He will eat peas, carrots, corn, lettuce and green beans. Everything else is for me. So, for example, one each of a beefsteak, sauce and cherry tomato is plenty.

Thanks very much!

Emmie

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths