SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ginny12first

OT: Wit's end--critters in house

ginny12
17 years ago

I don't know where else to turn for advice on this problem and I hope some of my fellow outdoors-lovers might have some ideas.

Critters have moved into my house and are living in the spaces between floors and the walls. They are not in the rooms we live in. I started hearing scratching noises last fall but it wasn't til after Christmas that it became very loud. It's now loud enough to wake us up.

The critters are nocturnal. The noise begins at twilight and stops, for the most part, during the day. I can hear them running, chewing wood!!, and general commotion.

We set mouse traps and have caught a few each week in the basement. I called an exterminator and he placed poison in the garage, basement and attic, but didn't try to get into the spaces between walls and floors.

He saw evidence of mice but none of rats, an enormous relief. Tho where I live, in a semi-rural suburb, I wouldn't expect rats.

My own suspicion is chipmunks. I have had a longstanding problem with chipmunks in the garden, garage, and my car engine. Lots of oak trees, lots of acorns. The exterminator saw lots of acorns in the attic but said chipmunks don't climb. Can that be true? These critters sound bigger than mice but everyone insists they must be mice.

I am really desperate. How do I get rid of these things, considering where they are? Who can I call? This can't go on.

Comments (20)