SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
estreya_gw

OT - Strange language on release for worker damage; Do i sign?

estreya
15 years ago

Hello, everyone. I need your help.

Some time ago, i had a wood floor installed, and though i'll spare you the gory details, damage was done to my home and furnishings in the process. I tried to work with the installer, but over time, it became clear he had no intention of correcting the damage or reimbursing me fairly for it. As a last resort, i filed a claim with his insurance company.

An adjuster came in, and a figure was calculated (it doesn't cover it, but i'm so eager to get this behind me i said it was fine). I was told by the insurance company that i had to sign a release and send them a copy of my drivers license in order for a check to be cut.

This is what i received, and what i was asked to sign (maybe my mother was right and i should have gotten a law degree after all?):

"December 9, 2008

RE: Insured: Claim Unit Number: Policy Number: Loss Date:

Claimant:

Dear:

This letter is to confirm that we have settled your claim today for $. Enclosed you will find a Release in Full for the claim. Please return the original executed release in the enclosed return envelope along with a copy of your drivers license for identification verification. Upon receipt of the original fully executed release, I will promptly forward the settlement check to you. We are committed to earning your satisfaction with the claims process. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me at . Thank you.

Sincerely,

Commercial Claims Representative

Enclosure:

RELEASE IN FULL OF ALL CLAIMS AND RIGHTS

For and in consideration of the sum of , RECEIPT OF WHICH IS ACKNOWLEDGED, I release and forever discharge , their principals, agents and representatives, from any and all rights, claims, demands and damages of any kind, known or unknown, existing or arising in the future, resulting from or related to property damage and loss of use arising from an accident that occurred on or about /2008 at or near .

This release shall not destroy or otherwise affect the rights of persons on whose behalf this payment is made, or persons who may claim to be damaged by reason of the accident other than the undersigned to pursue any legal remedies they may have against the undersigned or any other person.

I understand that this is a compromise settlement of all my claims involving the parties being released arising out of the accident referred to above, and there is no admission of liability. I understand that this is all the money or consideration I will receive from the above-described parties for any and all of my claims as a result of this accident.

FURTHER, I agree to reimburse and indemnify all released parties of any amounts which any insurance carriers, government entities, hospitals or other persons or organizations may recover from them in reimbursement for amounts paid to me or on my behalf as a result of this accident by way of CONTRIBUTION, SUBROGATION, INDEMNITY or OTHERWISE.

I HAVE READ THIS RELEASE AND UNDERSTAND IT.

Signed this _________ day of __________20___, at ____________________________________

Signature Signature

Witness Witness"

Do any of you understand this, and if so, can you translate it for me?

Am i to gather that in order to get a check cut, i have to sign something saying a check has already been cut?

I'm also puzzled by the last paragraph that begins, "Further, i agree to reimburse ..." It doesn't tax my imagination to think he could demand i pay for any increase in his insurance premiums as a result of this settlement. Am i being too paranoid?

Please understand that this course of action really was a last resort, and to my knowledge, i'm not a vindictive person. But i've been working on trying not to be a total pushover either.

Any thoughts?

Comments (12)