SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nhbabs

bird feeders and bears

NHBabs z4b-5a NH
15 years ago

I've been lurking on the Project Feeder Watch threads, enjoying the photos and reports of sightings. I even went to the PFW website and really got inspired. I used to keep bird feeders at my previous home, but then black bears arrived in town. Several neighbors have a bear take feeders, so I took mine down. I know there are bears here as well, as I've seen them grazing on winter wheat in the next door corn field in early spring as well as visiting the field when the corn is ripe in late summer. So, I know the bears around here tend to go into hibernation around Dec. 1, and in April they re-emerge. Knowing my schedule I won't succeed in taking in and putting out feeders daily during warm weather. So . . . here's my question: Is it hard on the birds if I put out winter feeders and then take them in when the weather is warm enough for the bears? I know that early spring tends to be a leaner time for seed eating birds. If they have grown used to my feeders and I pull the feeders in, will they go hungry or are the food sources in the area (a mix of hardwood and softwood forest, old field shrubbery, and both pasture and cultivated field along with seed heads in my garden) likely to be enough, or will they find someone else with bird feeders to visit or should I just not start feeding them and only enjoy the birds that come to the garden as it is now. I have enjoyed having feeders in the past, but don't want to cause harm in the long run if I start feeding the birds and then stop in early spring. Does anyone have knowledge about this they can share?

Thanks!

Babs

Comments (3)