SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sedum37

Lyman Estate Greenhouses (Photos)

17 years ago

Today (Feb 23rd) I visited the Greenhouses at the Lyman Estate in Waltham, Massachusetts to see the camellias in bloom. These greenhouses are maintained by Historic New England (formerly SPINEA) and are some of the oldest in the country. The greenhouses were very interesting and I highly urge you visit. The first three greenhouses contain citrus, banana and fruiting plants and other miscellanious plants such as calla lilies. Next there is a greenhouse containing plants you can buy and gift items. Finally in the back are the orchid and camellia green houses. The camellias were beautiful and in full bloom. The orchid house also contained many interesting species and hybrids in bloom.

On your way out I highly recommend checking out the plants for sale. You can purchase orchids, camellias, citrus plants and other interesting plants for your home. I ended up buying a variegated hibiscus plant for $6 (not bad!). The cost to tour was a suggested donation of $3 and it took about 1 hour to tour the various green houses but you could spend much more time examining each plant if you like. For more information on the Lyman Estate Greenhouses please click this link:

http://www.historicnewengland.org/visit/homes/lyman_estate_greenhouses.htm

To see my photos of the Lyman Estate Greenhouses please click the link below.

Enjoy!

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Lyman Estate Greenhouses Photos

Comments (10)