SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orchiddude

.....The Greenhouse.....Its Alive!.....

orchiddude
16 years ago

Hey Folks,

Long time no see. Every year, about this time, I post what is blooming in my greenhouse. As it gets cooler outside here in the south, the orchids are starting to show buds and spikes. If you remember my last years pictures, you will recall the cymbidium with 89 flowers. This year, I am expecting no less. There will be lots of blooms and new material.

To get us started on our pictorial journey, let me introduce two beauties,that just opened, to help us welcome Fall 2008.

{{gwi:306107}}

{{gwi:306109}}

As things change in the greenhouse, I will add more pictures. Hope you enjoy.

Rob

Comments (50)

• User
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Tres cool, OD. I just got my first orchid to bloom, a dendrobium. I'm hooked. I got 3 more orchids off of the clearance rack yesterday at the Missouri Botanical Garden. ;-)

• orchiddude
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Contrats SB, there is a wonderful feeling when you flower an orchid, and then when it reflowers and reflowers, its amazing each time. I still love it when I come into the greenhouse and see something new opened. Thats what happened with the 2 flowers above. Welcome to the World of Orchids.

• Related Discussions

The Greenhouse......Its Alive!!!!!!

Q

Comments (18)
    Hey Mark, thanks for the comments. From my side, its interesting to see what changes from year to year. Most of the same flowers bloom with sprinkles of new stuff here and there. Here is some new flowers this year. I love the colors that orchids have. The darker winter gets, the brighter the flower are. This vanda above is a first time bloomer for me. I love vandas and they really like to show off. This burnt orange color has a bold statement for the fall. I forget the name of this catt, but it has a wonderful color and smell. This flower will light up a greenhouse with its scent. Easy to grow. Phragmipediums have always been interesting to me. This one has a beautiful red color with some yellow highlights. This is what winter is all about. Anyone that knows me, knows I love cymbidiums. I have tons of these in spike that will bloom soon. I love these plants and the many flowers they grow. One day I hope to devote a whole greenhouse to the cymbidium. Just look at this yellow and dotted flower. This plant blooms 2 times a year. Its in bloom now and was in bloom back in the summer. Thanks again for all the nice comments. If you have any questions, I will be glad to answer them. Orchids are a wonderful plant to grow. I will post more then they open. Rob
    ...See More

Something tried to eat me alive...

Q

Comments (6)
    I remembered last night we had some calamine lotion! It sure does help. It was the first night I haven't woke up itching! I'd been using this herbal, all-natural bug repellant...but I busted out the DEET yesterday. :D
    ...See More

UPDATE: update petal pushers halloween 'buried alive' #2

Q

Comments (150)
    Hi y'all, Tracy,Heidi,Annie,cAROL,Alana and Mr. Dan the man! I hate that some of you are feeling crudy,Oh the winter. I'm waiting and lurking to see if my ghoulish monster will say somthing about itself that would help me fill it's box. But as fate would have noone is saying a whole lot. I'm having a sicko weekend, I was driving home about 7:30 yesterday and just as I came around this huge lake I fell asleep at the wheel and and crashed into someones huge brick mail box and trashed their yard aaaand trashed out my beautiful van which I always try to park blocks away from everybody so I don't get any dings. WeLLLL I trashed the passenger side real good. I was ok but did I feel sick to my stomach. Can you imagine falling asleep at wheel in heavy trafic??? I was so lucky that no one got hurt. I will be sending my box on Monday To my ghoulish secret friend. Look for your box to reach you about Wednesday. HAHAHA everybody will be checking their mail,including me LOL LOts of hugs and smiles Carmen
    ...See More

Saks alive!!! Does anyone REALLY wear $$$ this stuff!??

Q

Comments (27)
    This is hilarious. According to this Urban Dictionary definition, I am poor. I shop at Wal Mart (ALL the time, and occasionally go to Goodwill) and I do not have a Versace anything. I do know how to pronounce it now though. Seriously, I hope I am never defined by what I wear, at the least, although I certainly enjoy nice things! poor 20 up, 77 down Low-class, underpriveleged people. You will find many poor people if you go to places such as Wal-Mart, as poor people seek discounted prices as they do not have much money. Poor people will wear brands such as Faded Glory, Wrangler, and other commonly available brands, and most likely will have no knowledge of brands such as Burberry, Armani, Gucci, Versace, and other nicer brands. They will often drive used cars, typically cheaper domestic cars or inferior foreign brands such as Hyundai, typically more than five years old. Severely poor people will have cars that are ten years or older and they might purchase second-hand clothes from stores such as Goodwill. Poor people will have inferior jobs and probably make less than $50,000 a year. The definition of poor varies by region. The poorest of people will live in trailers. With no means to live lavishly, poor people will often lead a simple lifestyle. Poor kids are often unpopular at school as they can not fit in with popular children. Sometimes also used by some people as a noun to refer to people they do not like. Their clothes are not brand name, they must be poor. Look at the poor people shopping at Wal-Mart!
    ...See More
  • ole_dawg
    16 years ago

Orchids, Oh yeh, we used to have them in Florida where I lived and grew up as a child. In fact they were everywhere in the Swamp. Onion, Cigar (rare) and then of course the rarest of the rare "The Ghost Orchid". It only grows in one place and that is one hell of a place. Logged out now and hard to get to, but still accessable for those that don't mind getting their feet, waist, chest, and maybe necks wet. And to be sure you can not be afraid of spiders or snakes or gators, although the gators are not really a problem back in the swamp. They tend to hang out in the canals where the turtles and fish are. No turtles or fish back in there. Stagnet water, smelly and unmoving with lots of scum floating on the top. The spiders are what I don't like. I could never get used to them. I guess it was the old B movies when I was a kid. "Them" or some such title like that. But the "Ghost" is there. I have only seen it in a photograph, but my best friend from childhood has seen it in the "Strand". Being the type person that he is, a tree hugger, he left it there and I guess that is really the thing to do. That is the only place in the world that it grows. Doubt me? Google "Ghost Orchid"
    Last year or maybe the year before they arrested some dude from Germany trying to take one out via Miami International Airport.
    Orchid, I love to see them growing in the wild and have seen many when I worked in Brazil, up the Rio Negro. Electric Blue Butterflys too. Ah, to be young again, but I do have the memories.
    Actually I worked in Brazil in 1998

1eyedJack and the Dawg

• mudhouse_gw
    16 years ago

Thanks for posting these, what fabulous blooms. Your photographs are wonderful also. I'll look forward to more posts!
    Sheri

• greenhouser
    16 years ago

Make sure to check out the 1/2 price out-of-bloom orchids at Home Depot, Lowe's and some Kroger stores. I've had great success with them. Two dens I bought last spring are in bloom now. :)

• greenhouser
    16 years ago

Oh beautiful. Keep posting pics as they bloom.

• User
    16 years ago

I remember reading this past summer about a Ghost Orchid (Polyrrhiza lindenii) siting in Florida. Interesting plant, no leaves or stems, just roots and blooms. Found in Cuba, Bahamas, and Florida.

The other interesting orchid fact I read at MOBot Saturday was that orchids, with some 22,000 species, make up nearly 10% of all of plant species. Unbelievable!

• ole_dawg
    16 years ago

I have been to Cuba 4 times and to the Bahamas close to 80, I used to have an Export company. I believe the only place it might grow in the Bahamas is Andros Island. Every where else has been developed to death. Cuba is still pristine, but rapidly changing. Of course there are places in Brazil that no one has yet seen. Some very interesting thing have yet to come from there. The old movie "Medicine Man" is not that far off base.

1eyedJack and the Dawg

• highjack
    16 years ago

orchidude - what are the names of the catts. You can't show pretty pics with no names!

Brooke

• rosepedal
    16 years ago

Rob,
    You are the man. Wow I am amazed. Barb

• orchiddude
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey,
    I will have to get the name to the first one, its at school. THe second catt is Puppy Love.

Yes, I am a man. :-)

• orchiddude
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Back again. While I am waiting for some of the plants to bloom, I wanted to share some pictures of what the inside of my GH is looking like this year. Its amazing what you can fit into a space and this year I really like my set up. First of all, I can walk around with some type of organization. I have also added an upstairs. Since alot of heat is up, why not use it. This winter in the greenhouse is going to be great. Lots of new flower spikes have popped and are growing, buds are forming and the plants are looking good.

Before you say, "What do you grow?" The greenhouse contains orchids and palm trees with some bananas here and there. You will see some palm trees, lots of cymbidium orchids, come cattleya orchids, phragmipediums. I have about 30 cymbidiums growing spikes. One plant has 7 spikes so far. I cant wait until the flowers show.Enjoy.

{{gwi:306111}}
    As you walk into the greenhouse, you are first greeted by 2 palm trees, my huge spindle palm (Hyophorbe verschaffeltii) and a triangle palm (Dypsis decaryi). Lots of cymbidiums in the background with some cattleyas hanging on the left side.

{{gwi:306113}}
    Before moving into the greenhouse, I wanted to show you my new upstairs addition. Here you see an area hanging with cattleya orchids growing. There is a Queen palm in the back with her leaves spreading out. This gave me so much more usable space.
    {{gwi:306115}}
    Here you can see the top of the upstairs area. The cattleyas are growing nicely, as the Queen palm protects them from the bright light with her outreached arm.
    {{gwi:306117}}
    Back on the ground, and toward the right side of the GH as you walk in from the front, there is a water bed of phragmipediums on the right and on the left is a huge bed of cymbidiums. I really like my walkway area which leads back to the smaller palms area. My gas heater is behind me in this shot, warm air blows right down this path. Lets walk down this path.

{{gwi:306118}}
    As we turn around, looking back to the front of the greenhouse, we see lots of cymbidiums and the underside of the new upstairs addition. I see I need to cut my ropes. I must have missed that.Heading back out and up the path.

{{gwi:306119}}
    Next we look to the right and we eye a cymbidium in bud. This is Cymbidiums Dr. Pepper "Steve" This is a new plant for me this year. I am excited to see if it looks like the picture I saw of its flowers. Notice the cymbidiums around it. These will all bloom in time.

{{gwi:306120}}
    Looking up from where Dr. Pepper is sitting, you can see my fan above my heater. My heater is almost lost in all this. In the center left you see a small palm tree. This has turned out to be a great asset to my collection. This plant is Champagne Palm (Hyophorbe indica). This is a wonderful palm to grow. Notice the purple trunk to the right, that is the spindle palm. Guess how much that plant weighs? Took 3 people to pick it up.

{{gwi:306121}}
    Here again we are looking across and under the upstairs addtion toward the back of the greenhouse.
    {{gwi:306122}}
    Spinning around we are looking back toward the front of the greenhouse. This is my second path on the left side of the GH as you come in. Lots more cymbidiums, a few cattlays hanging, a step stool, and you cant see it from here but there is a potting bench at the end of the path.

{{gwi:306124}}
    As we walk back up toward the front of the GH, here is a look at one of the cymbidiums in spike. This will be a late December or Jan bloomer. I can hardly wait.

Well, out the door you go. Its cold out here. I hope you have enjoyed the tour. Its like a whole new world in the greenhouse. I hope yours is doing great this season.

{{gwi:306126}}

Rob
    orchiddude

• rjinga
    16 years ago

I really like the "attic/loft" idea...might be worth planning now while I"m building and reinforcing at this early stage of building the GH with that concept in mind...so that doing something like this could be an option later on.

so my question...instead of hanging from the rafters like you did, what about trying to use the EMT side to side additional bracing and create a platform or a "loft" which could be made by placing something on top of that bracing maybe something material-wise that resembled a pallet? any suggestions on how to reinforce the EMT to support the additonal weight?

• orchiddude
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Not sure, but there are alot of bracing ideas that you can try. I really like the idea I came up with because I was able to put it up in about 15 minutes and was about to make it fit what was already in there. It can also be taken down at with ease. You can also add some pullies and raise and lower it aswell.
    Rob

• rosepedal
    16 years ago

That is a smart idea. I like the pullies to raise and lower too. Orchiddude do you sell your your plants in case someone would be interested in buying any. You appear to be really busy with all them babies....... Very nice thanks for showing them to us. Barb

• greenhouser
    16 years ago

orchiddude

I'm totally mind boggled. =:-O

Beautiful. You have your own paradise in that GH. :)

• mudhouse_gw
    16 years ago

Orchidude, what a great greenhouse! Full too! I really like the way you structured this post, I feel like I've been able to walk through your greenhouse on a personally guided tour.

Love the purple trunk of the spindle palm (glad I didn't have to help you move it though.)

I hope you will post pictures of all the great blooms you have coming! Your photos are always wonderful.
    Sheri

• david_
    16 years ago

orchiddude nice pics. Did that Dypsis cabadae survive I sent you ?

• ladylotus
    16 years ago

Rob,

Incredible!!! I can't wait until I can play like that. The tour was fantastic.

What size pot do you have your Spindle Palm in? Thank you for shareing all your photos. It sure does give me inspiration.

• ladylotus
    16 years ago

One last question. How do you water all those plants? I thought orchids need to be watered thoroughly allowing the water to run through several times? Also, I thought the crown should not get wet. How do you prevent that with all those orchids?

• topher2006
    16 years ago

Orchiddude that's awesome You have your own place there were you can leave the world behind. Walk in and fall in
    a trance and leave the world behind !

• pcan-z9
    16 years ago

That is amazing OrchidDude!!! I could wander around in there for DAYS!!!........LOL............
    Thanks for sending the pictures!!

• mike-jaramillo
    16 years ago

Looks GREAT, now just through a hammock in there and your set!!

• orchiddude
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. Its really just begun. :-) I am excited about the upcoming flowers that will bloom this winter.

Rosepedal...to answer your question, yes I do from time to time.

David... the Dypsis cabadae went to heaven, it was in a bunch of plants that dried out, it didnt make it.

ladylotus... the spindle palm is in a 27 gallon pot, it will be moving up to a 33 gallon pot in a year or two.
    Water this many plants does take along time, but it all depends on if the plant is dry or not. Its all a matter of checking them about once a week and watering the ones that need water. Some stuff dry out faster than others. I also try to water in the morning with warm water so the plants can dry out by evening. I dont have a problem with crown rot, cymbidiums dont have a problem of getting wet.

Thanks
    Rob

• orchiddude
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Folks,
    I hope your holiday season is a bright and merry time of the year. Its a nice 68F here in good ole AL and the greenhouse is just bustin with growth and flower activity. I am hoping for this warmth to continue until at least the end of the month. :-)

Here are some new pictures of what is happening in the greenhouse. Lots of flower buds are forming, and some plants have opened their buds. I walked into the GH last week and almost fell over (not literally), but it was amazing to see buds that I had not seen before. I was saying to myself," where did that come from" or " WOW, I never knew this was in bud". So, grab the coffee and take a look at whats growing in my neck of the woods.

{{gwi:306128}}
    Here is a phragmipedium that has been in bloom for a few weeks. Looks to have a few more buds forming, could be an all winter blooming for this guy. I am thinking of making a seed pod to sow later. Cute little guy. Reminds me, I need to go and repot about 50 plants.
    {{gwi:306129}}
    This cattleya was one of my surprise catts that I found in bud the other day. I was looking around and saw this big bud just sticking out. I thought, "where did that thing come from"? I love getting surprises like that. This plant bloomed last year about this time. Only one flower this time. This flower is a beautiful salmon/pink/pastel color. I guess its a 5 or 6 inch flower.
    {{gwi:306130}}
    Can I say, "WOW"! I am so excited, there are 5 buds forming. I am guarding this plant from all bugs/snails/etc... Should get some BIG white flower.
    {{gwi:306131}}
    Then out of no where comes these orange flowers. These are about 2 or 3 inches, beautiful yellow/orange color. Makes a big statement from afar. I really like this flower, it adds some real contrast to the color palate.
    {{gwi:306132}}
    This cymbidium has 7 spikes, and looks to have over 100 buds forming. Here you can see several spikes breaking open and the buds are just pouring out. This will be a Christmas or New Year bloomer. You will be the first to see what beautiful display it brings.
    {{gwi:306133}}
    Do you remember the old commercial about Dr. Pepper? "Be a Pepper, drink Dr. Pepper or something about want to be a Pepper too, drink Dr. Pepper, be a Pepper...." Well if you remember above, I showed you the buds forming to Cymbidiums Dr. Pepper "Steve", well this is it. The flowers have not opened all the way just yet but they are working on it. I love the look of the flower, with all the splotches and cream/white background. New growth as already started on the plant, so I am expected 2 or 3 spikes next year. Ok, everyone, lets sing, " Be a Pepper, drink Dr. Pepper, be a Pepper, drink Dr. Pepper" Now I cant get that tune out of my head.

Well thats about it for right now. I will update ya on whats new as it happens. Yall have a great day and upcoming week.

Rob, orchiddude

• ladylotus
    16 years ago

Rob..WOW!!! Beautiful flowers. I miss walking around my gardens with my coffee in hand admiring my flowers and really appreciate you letting me tour your greenhouse flowers via the forum. I really like the bright orange orchid. That is really incredible.

Do you let your soil medium completely dry out before watering your orchids? I seem to be having difficulty keeping a couple of my dendrobium orchids looking healthy. They are in lava rock and I can't seem to find a watering regimen that they are enjoying.

Thanks for sharing your photos Rob.

• orchiddude
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey ladylotus... your welcome, in fact, I found myself walking around the greenhouse this morning with a cup of coffee, just looking around, well diggin around. I love to dig around and see if I can find something new about to bloom. I keep eyeballing some pineapples I have thinking they might start something soon.

As far as dens go. I grew some about 15 years ago. I kept mine wet. I grew them on a pad of spag moss. The roots would grow down into it and it stayed wet most of the time, every now and then I would let it go dry. I gave it bright light and it bloomed all the time.

I really dont know how to describe my watering. I just give the plant a good soaking, and then depending on what type of plant it is, depends on how much water. The cyms, I keep wet, damp. The catts I soak and let dry, the phrags grow in water. I guess you could say most of my plants stay damp most of the time. If I see something drying out, I will soak it for about a week. You can really plump up an oncidium if you let it soak a while, same with cymbidiums. Give your den a good soaking, about a week and keep it damp, with a good soaking once a week.

• mudhouse_gw
    16 years ago

I take my coffee to the greenhouse, then get distracted poking at plants, and find it later cold! I agree, that orange bloom is awesome.

One of the cool things about this forum is I get to see plants I know nothing about, totally different from mine. Thanks so much for keeping us posted on the unfolding beauty in your GH, I love it. Off to get the Dr. Pepper song out of my head. ;-)

• orchiddude
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello everyone,
    I just wanted to update on whats happening in the greenhouse this winter. It amazing what a few days can to orchids. Lots of buds just growing and getting fat, ready to open.

{{gwi:306135}}
    This is one of the cattleyas that gave me a surprise. It has 4 blooms that opened at the same time. Sweet smell and beautiful purple flowers on a compact plant.

{{gwi:306136}}
    This is a new cymbidiums I have this year. Long straight spikes with big flowers. The colors are beautiful.

{{gwi:306137}}

This year, one of my big white cattleya gave me a special gift. This one has 5 huge flowers. Sweet scent. I used the sunlight to capture the colors in perfection.

I post more as they bloom. Lots of buds are growing. Should have some awesome flowers blooming soon.
    {{gwi:306138}}

Comments and questions are welcome. Have a great holiday!
    Rob
    orchiddude

• kate_rose
    16 years ago

Wow OD!

Its so nice of you to share all your gorgeous plants with us.

I am itching to finish my greenhouse & get to try orchids for myself.

• jws338
    16 years ago

Great Pictures QD.

I just had the pleasure of a personel tour of Orchids by Hausermann in Villa Park IL. 4 acre of Orchids. Beautiful place, came home with 6. They may make it to the GH if my wife lets go of them.

John
    http://www.sullys-place.com

• orchiddude
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey John,
    I have been to Hausermanns also, big place. I met Gene and all the folks there. It was fun. I want to goto Santa Barbara Orchid Estates next.

• ladylotus
    16 years ago

Rob,

Your pictures are fantastic. It makes me so excited, anxious to get my hiney in gear and finish the inside of my greenhouse and find myself a heater.

By the way, your instructions to soak my dens worked like a charm. I was keeping them way too dry. One is sending up a flower scape now.

I still like your orange orchid the best. Thanks for sharing.

Tj

• orchiddude
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tj...great! Its good to hear when something works. Once you get that GH completed, you will have a load of orchids before you know it.

Rob

• orchiddude
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello and welcome to another view of my greenhouse. It is exciting to watch the plants grow and bloom during the winter months. While many plants are sleeping or dormant, many orchids are in their blooming season. For me, this is what growing in a greenhouse is all about. Grab ya coffee and enjoy whats alive and blooming in my greenhouse.

{{gwi:306140}}
    This cymbidium is such a joy to look at. The colors and size of the flowers are amazing.

{{gwi:306142}}
    This is the first green cymbidium, I have grown and bloomed. Lovely flowers with beautiful yellow/white lips. These are just opening. I show another picture once they all open.

{{gwi:306143}}
    This is one of my favorite cattleyas. I picked this plant up about 12 years ago. It has no name and was infested with scale. Turned out to be an wonderful grower with beautiful silky purple flowers.

{{gwi:306144}}
    This picture just gives you an overall view as you come into the door. I have created a blooming area at the front of the greenhouse, so I could display whats blooming. Notice in the back of the picture, all the cymbidiums spikes in bud. This place is going to be rockin with flowers, in just a short time.

{{gwi:306145}}
    Surprise! Surprise! Here is a plant with 268 flowers. Easy to grow and bloom. These are wonderful medium size flowers with a scent. This really adds color to my greenhouse.

{{gwi:306147}}
    Here is a close up of the flowers.

{{gwi:306149}}
    Another standard large size cymbidium. These are just opening the flowers. A beautiful brown/bronze flower with a huge lip with spots. Once the flowers are all open, this will be amazing.

{{gwi:306151}}
    Just another view of cymbidiums in bud.

{{gwi:306153}}
    Here is another view of my display area. Once more flowers are open, I will share another picture.

I hope you have enjoyed this update. I look forward week after week, just walking around and seeing the new growth and progress that the plants have made. For me, this makes the winter months so much more enjoyable. Until next time, stay warm.

Rob
    Orchiddude

• ohiojay
    16 years ago

The 268 pink ones are stunning. Who couldn't enjoy seeing something like that?

• wolflover
    16 years ago

Rob,
    What a tour. OMG, thanks for the pictures. I have enjoyed them so much on this cold winter day. Have to say my favorite is the very first picture at the top of the page, second would be the cattleya you got 12 years ago with scale. Both simply gorgeous. And that one with 268 flowers, unbelievable!!! You have inspired me. Thank you so much for sharing.
    Dawna

• orchiddude
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Dawna, glad you were inspired. As much as I hate winter, greenhousing (if thats a word) sure does help make it better. I think its the combined atmosphere of life and heat. My greenhouse seems to be warmer than my house...LOL, but cost alot less to heat. Thatainright. Glad you enjoyed the pictures. Keep watching, theres more to come.

Thanks Jay...that big plant is pretty and has a nice smell to it.

• f150dude
    16 years ago

orchiddude:
    Those are pretty impressive pics.. i had an african violet once, and it died in about a month, so the fragile tropicals i have a hard time with. I like the palm trees you have in there, they are huge!! Can you post a picture of the greenhouse from the outside, i am interested in seeing what it looks like. The only thing interesting i have in my greenhouse beside the usual, spider plants, and geraniums (which are actually in bloom now), is an orange tree. 5 years ago i took a seed, sliced it a little bit before putting in the soil and now i have a 5 ft orange tree in the greenhouse. NO oranges yet but if you take off a leaf and tear it, it smells like an orange...
    steve

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

Fabulous!

The only orchids I've ever tried are Phaelonopsis which do well for me on the kitchen windowsill. I'll have to try a cymbid in the greenhouse.

• orchiddude
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Folks,
    Spring is just around the corner, so I thought I would update you on what is happening in the greenhouse. The GH is blooming with wonderful color. Its been busy all winter and now its on its final round. This is the last update on this post. I will post a new post next winter. Hope you enjoy. Questions and comments are welcome.

{{gwi:306155}}
    {{gwi:306157}}
    Dont you just love these orange cymbidiums?
    {{gwi:306159}}
    {{gwi:306161}}
    I like this yellow one also. This plant had 4 spikes this year. Tons of flowers. Next year should really be good.
    {{gwi:306163}}
    {{gwi:306165}}
    {{gwi:306167}}
    {{gwi:306169}}
    {{gwi:306171}}
    {{gwi:306173}}
    {{gwi:306174}}
    Well, thats about it for this post. This past winter has been a very nice one in the greenhouse. I am planning on adding more plants and more colors this year.
    Hope you enjoyed this post as much as I did making it.
    Hope your ready, Spring is here!
    Thanks
    Rob, orchiddude

• medontdo
    16 years ago

i'm in totall awe!! my hubby is not so much of a flower person, but even he was in much of a surprise at looking at them!! they are soooo beautifull!!

• ladylotus
    16 years ago

Rob,

Your orchids are absolutely stunning. I can't believe how many blooms you actually have on one orchid. Beautiful!

• rjinga
    16 years ago

Hey Rob, I have a question for you...if one was interested in getting started with orchids (on a much smaller scale than what you have, cuz I"m afraid it would break the bank to get that many)...

what advice would you offer for a starting point (ie: what varieties, how many etc)...and what are some economical ways to acquire good plants.

Your plants are really amazing and I'm sure that they give you much joy...

but yet another question....what do you grow in the spring/summer/fall? is your GH empty???? and where do your orchids spend their summers??? sorry that was like 5 questions....inquiring minds want to know :)

• joeurda
    16 years ago

Ringa,

Just came back from a weekend at Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square, Pa. These are Americas premier gardens and this is their Spring and International Orchid Show.

If any of your orchid growers are in the Philadelphia area, it's worth the trip to these gardens.

• orchiddude
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the comments yall.

rjinga....You got questions, I might have answers.

When starting a new hobby like growing orchids. I would start looking at what light levels you have around your house or where you are going to keep the plants, then buy plants that fit the light levels. So many people just see a plant and buy it, never thinking about if they have the proper requirements for it to live. Once you figure out if you have lots of shade or some sunny spots and how long the light is in those areas, then start looking at plants with requirements that work with those conditions.

I love cymbidiums and cattleyas and phrags and did I say cymbidiums. Love'em.

During the spring, summer and fall, all the cymbidiums are outside in the sun, the cattleyas and phrags are in the greenhouse. I also grow tree ferns and palm trees. My smaller plants stay in the greenhouse if they need lower light levels than outside. I use a high power fogger to cool the greenhouse so that I can grow year round with no problem of heat. My big palm trees stay outside most of the year except winter and that about it. I use the greenhouse all year long. I have few lizards that like to play around in it during the summer. You will see them sometimes sitting on the plants, twisting their little ole heads trying to figure out what I am doing.

If you have any other questions, feel free to email me.
    Rob

• ladylotus
    16 years ago

Rob,

What temperature do you keep your gh at during the winter months?

Tj

• orchiddude
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Ladylotus....most times at night the greenhouse is in the 50 degree range. Low 50's to mid 50's, during the winter, daytime temps get into the 60's and 70's.

Rob

• ladylotus
    16 years ago

Thanks Rob,

I think I will have to increase the heat in my gh...Right now I have it hovering at 40 deg in the evening and it ranges from 60 - 80 during the day.

Thanks....
    Tj

• jws338
    12 years ago

Where is the Orchidude?