SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sooey_gw

Project Feeder Watch 2008 #5

sooey
16 years ago

OK...new thread is open.

The birds were back today in great numbers. They are so fun to watch when there is a flurry of activity. Tomorrow is my count day so I hope the same holds true. I did my best to find some time to count this weekend for Mass Audubon but I do not have much to show for my efforts. Numbers were way, way down. Saturday afternoon I sat for an hour and saw only one Goldfinch. Not much fun. I hope others had better luck.

sooey

Comments (41)

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    16 years ago

I counted for both PFW (Thursday and Friday) and Mass Audubon (Saturday and Sunday) - bird counts were down but not by too much. I did see an American Tree Sparrow and a White-crowned Sparrow, but didn't get photos.

I'm getting lots of Goldfinches but very few House Finches, and the Mourning Doves are way down. I suspect the Cooper's Hawk(s) are scaring the doves away.

Claire

• sooey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Claire...Great Sparrow finds! I would love to see a White-crowned Sparrow. Those are the ones with the pink beaks and legs? I love the markings on their heads. The stark white/black contrast is beautiful. I have not seen one as yet, only in Petersons and Thayer. I'm not sure I could tell the difference between an American Tree Sparrow and the Chipping Sparrow. I can see the Chipping high up in the tree tops during the summer and his call is lovely, but I've never seen one of them on the ground. We have a slider in our basement, right next to where I sit while at the computer. Over the past several days I have enjoyed seeing the White-throated sparrow. We had several of them out there yesterday.

I seem to be seeing the same in Brewster as you are up in Plymouth...lots of Goldfince but very few House Finch. I am, however, seeing more Mourning Doves. Also seeing more Crows and cats.

sooey
    who does not like cats in her yard...Crows are OK.

• Related Discussions

Project Feeder Watch 2008 # 4

Q

Comments (62)
    I'm still exploring suet options: last Sunday was a good day at the latest version suet feeder. The Red-bellied Woodpecker is standing on a suet cage or maybe a branch, but eating out of the old pine cone which had suet/peanut butter mix. This is the first time I've seen the Red-belly on the suet feeder - usually it feeds on the hopper or the ground. The Downy Woodpecker is also standing on the upper suet cage, but eating out of that same cage which contains a C&S Almond Treat suet block. The Red-breasted Nuthatch likes the bottom cage, which I think has a C&S Nutty Treat, or something similar. I have another single hanging suet cage on the rose arch with C&S Insect Treat in it. Downies, wrens, titmice and chickadees like this one, maybe because it's well-hidden in the rose canes (which is why I don't have a good photo of it). I'm trying to avoid mixing up my own suet glop, particularly because I don't have a convenient source of rendered suet. The raw suet hasn't been more popular than the store-bought. Claire
    ...See More

Project FeederWatch #4 - 2008/09

Q

Comments (37)
    I love all these photographs, I can look at them nonstop all day long. I live out in Western MA and have a few feeding stations up, one that contains BOSS and Safflower seeds, a thistle sock and a double suet feeder. Lately my feeders are packed with different song birds, chickadees, titmice, pine siskins, finches, white breasted nuthatches, dark eyed juncos, male and female cardinals, although I believe there's only one male cardinal that I keep seeing and along with the two females. I also get occasional house sparrows but lately, they seem to be staying away. I have a bluebird house up in hopes of luring a pair to my yard to raise a family but I'm not keeping my hopes up. Yesterday I was home for the day and sitting in my living room and out my bay window in the front across the street, were two Pileated Woodpeckers, the first I've ever seen. They were working on this one tree for about 2-3 hours, one on each side of the tree and they managed to do a fantastic job carving out a couple of cavities, I was very impressed at how hard they worked. Only wish my camera had a better lense. I've had red bellied, downie and hairy woodpeckers at my suet feeders but never was lucky enough to witness a pileated so close and two for that matter, it was very exciting. Please keep the pictures coming, I so enjoy looking at them and love to hear that there are bluebirds not to far from where I live. Fingers are crossed that they come to visit my yard in the spring. Linda
    ...See More

Project FeederWatch #4 20http://forums.gardenweb.com/forum09/2010

Q

Comments (23)
    OK, I'll wait a few weeks until PFW is over and I have something to post, and then I'll start a new summer thread. That's my favorite cart. My father had the bigger one for many years and now my brother is using it. I loved the big one, but it's a little hard to maneuver so I bought the middle size a few years ago (many different suppliers sell these or similar carts). The mid-size one has a removable gate and spent the winter on my porch under the overhang next to a plastic toboggan. If there was no snow cover I'd roll the cart down the steps and use it to carry big bags of birdseed from the car. In case of snow, the plastic toboggan got delivery duty. The cart is out basking in the sun today. The toboggan is getting dusty. Claire
    ...See More

Project FeederWatch #6 2008/2009

Q

Comments (15)
    Hi Kids, Well, it has happened again...another PFW season has come to an end. I for one was happy to see April 3rd arrive, I had run out of steam. My data has been entered and I am surprised to see how different this season was from last. I had a few birds last season that I did not see this season: white-throated sparrow tree sparrow golden crowned kinglet pine warbler I saw the brown creeper on several occations but never on a count day. I had only one bird this season that was new and that was the pine siskin. Friday the 3rd was my last count day for the season. On Saturday the 4th I had a Mama turkey sitting on my deck for the longest time. That was a first for me. Yesterday, I saw my first pine warbler. I've also noticed more pine siskin this week than in weeks past. How long with they stay around? Beautiful flicker, Claire. I find that the flicker does not like me to be around while s/he is at the suet feeder. When I see them, I know I need to stay away from the window/slider. Such a beautiful bird with such a beautiful tail. sooey who is now happy to enjoy the birds without feeling like it's homework... ;) but who will very soon get excited about a bird and wish she has someone to report it to... :(
    ...See More
  • sooey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK, Kids...how do you render suet? I have some suet from Shaws in a pan on the stove over very low heat. It's melting. Am I doing it right? Did someone say to boil it? I'm open to any and all suggestions. I'll also google it.

Thanks, Kids.

sooey

• sooey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lunch is ready...

I have lots and lots of Ritz so don't panic...there is enough for everyone.

OK...I've done this once...once may be enough...

sooey
    and boy, her house smells great!

16 years ago

sooey: I didn't notice a pink bill on the White-crowned Sparrow, but it definitely lacked the white throat patch and had a nice pearly-grey ascot. The American Tree Sparrow had a grey ear stripe, not the white eyebrow of the Chipping Sparrow. I've mostly been using the National Audubon Society Field Guide to Birds Eastern Region, supplemented by the Sibley Guide to Birds (also Audubon).

I hope your birds appreciate your slaving over a stove making home-rendered suet glop; What do you do with the scraps left over after the fat is rendered out?

I'm working on uploading a new series of photos of birds splashing in the heated bird bath. May take a while.

Claire

16 years ago

Super Tuesday, and a bunch of birds are relaxing after a hard day campaigning.

AND WHO MIGHT THIS BE?

AH, A TUFTED TITMOUSE!

OOPS, A GOLDFINCH APPROACHES AND STANDS ON THE EDGE.

AND JOINS THE TITMOUSE IN THE HOT TUB.

IT'S DIFFICULT TO HAVE JUST ONE GOLDFINCH AT A TIME.

A THIRD GOLDFINCH APPEARS AND STANDS ON THE EDGE.

AND THEN LEAPS IN.

IT GOT A LITTLE TOO CROWDED FOR THE TITMOUSE, WHO FLEW OFF.

THREE HAPPY GOLDFINCHES IN THE TUB.

ONE FINAL SPLASH FOR THE THIRD GOLDFINCH.

AND THEN THERE WERE TWO.

HEY GUYS, GOT ROOM FOR A TITMOUSE?

I probably shouldn't have posted all of these here, but I couldn't bear to reduce the number of photos any more. I have 43 total of this event (my camera made me do it).

Claire

• sooey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh Claire...those birds look happy, happy, happy! I like the way your bird bath sits. It's so level and close to the ground. The birds must know that it's a prime location...and, it comes with a water view!

I have my suet cakes in the frig. I put them into 4 mini loaf pans which I had first lined with plastic wrap. I used about 1/2 pound of raw suet. I heated it over low heat until there was almost nothing left. I poured the melted fat into a bowl and added chunky peanut butter, corn meal, oat meal,cranberries, walnuts and Finch Mix. It was way easier than I thought it would be and not messy. We will see if they like it. It was fun.

sooey

• mayalena
    16 years ago

Absolutely fabulous birdbath pics. I really do want one of those -- but I don't want to deal with running the cord to the plug....
    We're enjoying 2 nice cardinal couples, a couple of mourning doves, tufted titmice, juncoes, chickadees, goldfinch, woodpeckers and our usual jillions of house sparrows. No pics tho. But I do love looking out the window and seeing all of that life.

• hostasz6a
    16 years ago

I love the birdbath photos. So cute!

16 years ago

sooey: I'm not quite convinced, but I have some raw suet in the freezer that I'd like to clear out, and I could sacrifice some of the ingredients I add to my breakfast cereal (nuts, seeds, dried fruit). Unfortunately I just recycled several of the plastic containers the suet blocks come in. They would be perfect to store the rendered suet glop in.

mayalena: The electric cord was a big issue for me too. I have exterior outlets on the deck and porch, and I wrap the male/female plug connection in plastic bags to keep it dry. The heated bird bath is now pretty far away from the feeders - I just didn't want to run a cord halfway around the house. The depth of the bird bath is perfect for the little birds - the same as the plant saucers I use by the feeders.

More excitement today, but of a darker kind. The mourning doves had been staying away, but late yesterday afternoon I saw 5 or 6 that looked like they were going to roost under the osmanthus. This morning I went out to refill the feed supply, and saw a little pile of feathers, probably dove.

A little later I heard a small bird hit the window and looked out and saw this in the winterberry (it didn't get the small bird):

I finally got a shot of a hawk in flight - I've been trying for a while now, but the hawk hasn't cooperated until now. It was just flying down to the ground, not pouncing.

I saw the hawk again around noon, stalking through the vegetation. I wish I could just buy some Purina Hawk Chow and put it out so it would leave the little birds alone.

Light snow this morning, probably won't stick though.

Claire

• sooey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Claire...Purina Hawk Chow...Brilliant Idea! Lets work up a proposal and pitch it to the Big Wigs! I'm sure it will fly! Those are two beautiful shots of that Hawk. He is a busy boy! Sorry about the pile of feathers.

I've had an interesting day bird watching. This is a count day for me and I found another new bird for my list. A Golden-Crowned Kinglet. I was in the drivway getting ready to go to the Bird Watchers Store in Orleans for more seed. I saw this little bird that I had never seen before...tiny little thing with a short tail and bold markings on it's head...buff/yellow center stripe with dark side stripes. It flitted around in the thicket next to the drive. I took some notes on what I was seeing, it flew away so, I flew to the Bird Watchers store for seed AND an identifiaction of this little bird. They knew instantly what I had seen. It's not rare around here but you have to look for them. I was a happy bird watcher... and thanks to Ellen for posting that picture a few weeks ago. Because of that, the Ruby and Golden-Crowned Kinglet were birds that I had heard of before. I am learning a lot.

Birds were about in large numbers today. AND...I had several House Finch for the first time in over a month! I was so happy to see them. They all looked fat, happy and all had clear eyes. I was excited to see them.

OK...I'm off to do more counting and I think I'll put out some of my home made suet. It looks wonderful and it's sure to be a hit...in fact, in Germany in might be considered a party dip ;)

sooey

16 years ago

Those Kinglets are adorable! I also knew next to nothing about them until Ellen's post which turned my head in their direction so I read about them. I wonder if they're around here too? You're so lucky to be near the Bird Watchers Store with knowledgeable people to consult with.

I'm also counting for PFW today, and I took a photo of a Song Sparrow - nothing exotic, but just a nice little bird. This one likes to poke around near the bluestone path right outside my computer window. I appreciate birds that come to my computer window so I don't even have to get up and walk to the kitchen window to photograph them.

Claire

• terrene
    16 years ago

Hi guys! Been following the PFW threads here, and just haven't had time to post...

Yesterday was a VERY exciting day on the Suet Log. I looked out and saw the pretty Bluebirds on the Suet Log, which is pretty much a daily occurrence, and to my amazement I saw CEDAR WAXWINGS sitting on the branches at the top. I was stunned, but grabbed the camera and started snapping...

The pretty blues...
    {{gwi:1060065}}

One of Waxwings decides to check out the suet and even takes a nibble (I think)...

A picture of the entire Suet Log, and a House Finch decided to hang out too...

I also posted a thread on the Bird Watching forum, which more pics...check out the link below

Here is a link that might be useful: An unusual guest on the Suet log!?

16 years ago

The Great Backyard Bird Count is next weekend, Feb. 15 to 18. They even have prizes

Claire

Here is a link that might be useful: The Great Backyard Bird Count

16 years ago

terrene: Very elegant photos of some very elegant birds!

I saw four Red-winged Blackbirds this morning!. Three here with House Sparrows and a Blue Jay in the background. I've had one here since January 29, but four is serious! (maybe a sign of spring - speak softly so as not to scare spring away...shhhh...).

I was at my computer this morning and glanced out the window when a little sparrow came hopping along the bluestone path. At first I just assumed the Song Sparrow was back, but something was different so I looked closer. I'm pretty sure this is an American Tree Sparrow, the second time I've seen one this month. A very personable little bird.

Claire

• sooey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great shots, Claire! I agree with your call re: the sparrow...American Tree sparrow. Rufous crown, brown beak above, yellow below, brown/black spot on chest, slim forked tail. Good call! My Thayer Guide shows that we are well within their winter range. A sweet bird.

sooey

16 years ago

sooey: That American Tree Sparrow may have been a scout - I saw 4 or 5 together in the same area today.

How did the birds like your home-cooked suet buffet? Following your lead, I decided today to render the chunk of raw suet I had in the freezer, and to use it to refill my suet cones. I took it straight out of the freezer and put it in a pan.

Since the Red-bellied Woodpecker likes the Nut N' Berry mix better than the store-bought suet, I figured I'd use the Nut N' Berry with the rendered suet. These are the starting ingredients - seed mix and cones.

I put the covered pan on the lowest heat on my stove and went off and did something else, checking every now and then, and turning it once.

About three hours later the suet looked like this. I had to go somewhere so I stopped the rendering by turning the heat off.

When I got back the suet was cooled and I added it to the Nut N' Berry mix and slopped it onto the cones.

They're in the refrigerator now. I'll put them out tomorrow. The solid parts went out already for whatever wants them. I've seen holes in the ground which are probably from skunks up from hibernation and very hungry, so I hope they'll get the suet scraps. I like skunks - they eat grubs.

Claire

• jant
    16 years ago

Hi guys.....lovin' the latest pix AND will ya look at all this simmerining suet lol! Those Waxwings are gorgeous birds.

Haven't been doing any birdwatching much of late...devasting news that a dear friend has inoperable lung cancer...hard to deal with.

There was lots of activity this morning though....mostly on the ground as those winds took down one of the feeders! Missed shooting the titmice and a few others that appear "new" but got some others. That blue jay looks kinda confused....it's down there on the ground silly!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Windy day

16 years ago

jant: So sorry about your friend. All you can do is stand by and give all the support you can muster.

You still have snow! ... Hard to remember what that looks like here. And aren't the blue jays great -always on stage.

Claire

• sooey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Kids,

Claire...I used the same process in making my gourmet suet. Not a project to take on if your time is limited but, all things considered, an easy task to complete. So far I would have to say that the birds are not very impressed with my offering. On Friday, I put out two pieces, one in each of my two suet feeders. The one I put in the feeder attached to the tree is gone...but I think it was a squirrel that made off with it. The other chunk which is in the smaller, free hanging suet feeder is still there. Mixed reviews? How do you like your glass stove top?

Jan...so sorry to hear of your friends serious health issues. Not a fun time for any of you. Blue Jays are a *difficult* bird for me. I think I have a love/hate relationship with them. Such a beautiful bird to see until they open their mouths. They can be very bossy and intimidating to the other birds. I did not have any in my yard until I started offering sunflower seed. It took them a while to notice but now they are here to stay. They have a bit of a 'town crier' quality about them which I appreciate...they warn the other birds when a cat ventures into the yard.

sooey

16 years ago

sooey: I'd rather have a gas stove, like I did for many years in NYC, but there's no gas service here and I didn't want to deal with propane. As a second choice, the electric glass stove top is fine - except during pine pollen season when it turns greenish yellow and fuzzy (I keep all possible windows open in warm weather). The glass top cleans up nicely and looks good without too much hassle. I'm not one for much cleaning hassle.

I've also had to revise my cooking techniques - no casual shaking of the pan when it's on the heating surface like you can do with a gas burner.

Cold and windy today and water is really in demand. This is the first time I've seen the Red-bellied Woodpecker at the heated bird bath. He likes to hang by his fingertips rather than perch on the edge.

He does that at the tube feeder too.

The vicious west wind is dying down and the birds are looking for sunny spots. One more cold night and then warmer weather (I hope).

Four American Tree Sparrows today.

Claire

• sooey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Claire...I have never seen a Red-bellied Woodpecker at the water or at a tube feeder! It looks like you have a male and a female. Do you see them at the tube feeder often? Great shots!

re: The stove top...I agree 100% about *rather have gas*. Me too! But, just like you, we have no gas on our street and Kspan (?) is not interested. I don't want propane so we are stuck with electric. I had a new glass cook top in our CT home. I hated it until I got the hang of it. It's different and not as easy to keep clean as I thought it would be. I can be a little PIA about that. We will need to replace our current drop in oven/stove combo soon so I am again faced with what to get. Pollen...ugh...we seem to be hit much harder than most during the pollen season. We need to keep our windows closed during the first two-three weeks of June. I have allergies plus, the pollen is so bad here that any window left open would mean a thick coating of pollen on everything. I always hope for rain during that time. It's also the time that I am trying to get my garden work done which means that I have to wear a face mask. I hate pollen..but I guess it goes along with gardening...*sigh*...

sooey
    who feels a sneeze coming on...

16 years ago

sooey: You're right, that's probably a female at the tube feeder last Friday. I only see one Red-belly at a time, but lately the tube feeder has been very popular. Sometimes they'll go to the hopper, very rarely the suet.

Maybe the tube feeder is a challenge to them, as it seems to be for Blue Jays. There's always food on the ground, and food in the hopper feeder, but invariably a Blue Jay will try to balance on the tube perches - not always successfully. The Red-bellies just latch onto the port edge.

Pine pollen also screws up combination smoke/carbon monoxide detectors, as I discovered one horrible night last spring.

Claire

• sooey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

YIKES! Horrible night? It went off and you could not stop it? Smoke? Carbon monoxide? or...just pollen? That WOULD be a problem!

Great action shot of that Blue Jay! I LOVE your new camera!

sooey

16 years ago

sooey: I could stop it by stabbing it with a stick, but about 45 minutes later it would go off again, and again, and again. I didn't want to rip it off the ceiling because it was hardwired into a system that affects the alarms in the old house next door. In the morning I called the electrician and got him there in a few hours. I must have sounded pretty grim.

The Plymouth Fire Captain has eased up on the requirements for carbon monoxide detectors and now likes the plug-in type. This you can throw into the woods in the middle of the night if it misbehaves.

I love my new camera too - I've taken over 1700 shots so far (deleted most of them). The 12X zoom is wonderful, and with the sports mode I just shoot away and edit later. Much different from my old SLR days when I would fuss over composing the picture properly.

Claire

16 years ago

Oh, I had checked for smoke and carbon monoxide (other detectors upstairs and in the cellar), so I knew it was a defective alarm.

By the way, my home-cooked suet glop isn't very popular either. Yesterday a downy pointedly ate from the store-bought suet block right next to the home-made cone. Maybe the long rendering process adds a nasty taste?

Claire

• sooey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Claire...'stabbing it with a stick'...hummm, you must have been VERY frustrated. I can't remember the last time I stabbed ANYTHING with a stick... ;)

My gourmet suet is just sitting in the suet feeder...no birds are interested in it. As I was rendering the suet, I was careful to pour off the accumulated fat as it pooled in the pan so I'm sure it did not burn or get over heated. Cranberries, walnuts, peanuts, corn meal, oatmeal and finch mix...what's not to love? I watched a Downey working at the raw suet in the feeder. He was not at all interested in my home made suet which was sitting right next to it...not even a 1/2 inch away. I don't get it...

I'm having a good time watching the White-Throated Sparrow this morning. They are very skittish...if they see me through the slider and I move...even a little, they take off. I love the markings on their head and that little, perfect patch of white on their throat is charming.

What seed do you put in your Finch sock? I've had one filled with thistle for several weeks and I've only seen one Chickadee on it.

sooey

16 years ago

sooey:

Chickadees will try anything. The ideal dinner guest.

A downy started on the old suet,

then moved over to try the new. A start, anyway.

The Red-breasted Nuthatch is a hold-out ("That new food looks yucky...").

White-throated Sparrows are like little terriers scratching around in the leaves. Here they usually come at dawn or dusk with the cardinals - very hard to see lurking in the vegetation in minimal light. It's exasperating to look out and just barely see a whole bunch of little birds, and not be able to identify them because it's just too dark.

I use thistleseed in the sock. It came loaded (Wild Delight) and I've been refilling with thistleseed from Agway, sold bulk in a barrel. The finches are all over it; I'm amazed that yours don't like it. Maybe old seed? I tried sprinkling a little thistleseed on the bluestone path by my computer window to see if any ground feeders would like it. So far a junco has been eating it.

Claire

• sooey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The White-throated Sparrow likes to stay close to the brush and under it when possible. We have a large Boxwood next to the slider that stays full and thick all winter...the WTS love it. We also have a large Yew about 5ft from the Boxwood. The WTS skitters back and forth between the two...never staying in the open very long. We also have Song Sparrow that also don't hang around in the open much. If there is food in an open area, they will stay for a while but always stay on guard.

The thistls seed in the sock is fresh. I know they can find it...that Chickadee did. I think I'll move it closer to the other feeders. I also have a Finch Mix that is not all thistle which they seem to like a little better. I thought the HF really wanted thistle more than any other seed. I guess I was wrong.

It looks like that little Downy found a nugget that he just HAS to have...

• ellen_s
    16 years ago

Here is what the birds are doing around my house right now..trying to seek shelter from yet another storm!

{{gwi:1060090}}

This little chickadee is in a Star Magnolia right outside my dining room window. The Magnolia is always full of birds because my feeders are near there, and it's very twiggy so it gives the birds a sheltered and safe place to check out the feeder before going in for dinner...

I love having birds up close to the house like this, but I am worried that the Star Magnolia is getting too big for its spot right in front of the house, and may have to be removed. I'm working on pruning it to see if I can keep it in bounds...

• sooey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ellen, I know exactly what you mean about trying to prune so a bush/shrub can stay for one more year. Our house is surrounded by mature plantings that the birds love to hide and take shelter in. I have so many ideas for changing the landscaping around the house but I don't want to take shelter away from the birds. It looks like you have some snow today while we have rain, rain and more rain! The birds are wet down to their little bones but they are eating everything in sight. The feeders and suet have been busy all day. This is a PFW count day for me and there have been times that I have not been able to keep up with them. This has been a busy and entertaining day.

sooey

16 years ago

Rain, rain, rain here too. There was snow overnight, but it started melting and then getting washed away in the morning. Wind gusts too.

A very soggy and unhappy-looking hawk stood in the winterberry for a while, then flew off without getting fed. I'm not sure if this is the regular Cooper's Hawk or another hawk, maybe even a sharpie. I've never seen a wet hawk before.

Claire

• sooey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

What a Beauty! And yes, very wet. By the time the day was ending the poor birds in our yard were so wet they were dripping! But, they kept eating. The suet was a busy place but the thistle sock and the free hanging suet feeder with the gourmet suet were not touched. I'll have to re-fill all the feeders tomorrow. A very busy day.

sooey

16 years ago

My gourmet suet is beginning to get some hits. Maybe it just needed aging.

The Red-breasted Nuthatch has been at all three suet pine cones today. Here it's eating on on the bottom cone.

The nuthatch seems to prefer hanging from a branch while it eats.

A Tufted Titmouse likes the top cone. Both the titmouse and the chickadee sit right on the cone.

Claire

• sooey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Kids,

Busy, busy day at the feeders. It would seem that bad weather brings them out. We have had a lot of rain and high winds all day here on the Cape. I have come to the conclusion that birds feel the need to stock up on days like this.

I finally got a picture of my Yellow-Rumped Warbler. He was back to visit the suet last week and I was able to get one good shot of him. I sent it off to PFW last week and they have confirmed. Anne Marie from PFW said that we are 'on the northern most point of their winter range'.

Here he is, waiting for a spot at the suet.

You can't see his yellow rump in this picture, but you can see the bright yellow on his side and on the top of his head. Isn't he a cutie?

sooey

16 years ago

He looks like he could hide in a flock of goldfinches if you weren't being very observant. Well done!

The name Yellow-rumped Warbler made me think of T.S. Eliot's Book of Practical Cats, and the secret names of cats. I bet no self-respecting bird would consent to being called a "Yellow-rumped Warbler". He probably has a very dignified name in the bird language.

Claire

• sooey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh MY Goodness...you made me laugh. You also gave me good reason to refresh my memory of Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats... It's been a long time since I have read ANY T.S. Eliot. Is 'Cats' still on B'way? Will 'Cats' EVER die?

Thanks for the giggle.

sooey

16 years ago

Now I can't get "Macavity, Macavity, there's no one like Macavity. He's broken every human law, he breaks the law of gravity...." out of my head.

But I digress.

This morning I looked out and saw two, yes two, Red-bellied Woodpeckers at the tube feeder. Male and female on their first date.

The male and female Red-winged Blackbirds are feeding together, and I heard the first "screeee" sound of the RWB's, a sound that will be everywhere soon. That's a very bright red spot on the male's wing - he's got his going-courting jacket on.

AND the first Common Grackle arrived! At first glance it's just a black bird with yellow eyes,

but when the light hits it right the bird is iridescent and very beautiful (I've started my 'Grackles are good for your yard" propaganda already.) That's a squirrel baffle on the ground in the background. Something managed to knock both of them off the shepherd's crooks last night or this morning.

I also heard a chickadee's "Fee-bee" mating call this morning. A beautiful day.

Claire

• jant
    16 years ago

Snort! Lot's of "fee-beeing" around here today too! Heard and saw a Titmouse scoulding some scoundrels on the ground and the Blue Jay was making a wonderful sound...not the usual NOISE!

Not a lot of activity at the feeders but they were singing and dancing more in the trees...OH, then the hawk swooped down suddenly after two finches...they made it into the woods. Think it was a Red Tail...too big to make a sharp corner under the tree branches.

OH, OH! You know what I didn't mention? A week or so ago Mike goes out to fill up the feeders. Several chickadees there. After he'd heard my story he figured what the heck and stuck his hand out with a few seeds on it. BOTH jumped onto his hand and ate out of it....you shoulda seen his face when he came into the house! Beaming...

Thought I'd throw my link to recent action in this thread too. That Northern Flicker is one pretty bird...

Here is a link that might be useful: recent birds

• sooey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh My! Jan...another 'Bird Whisperer' in your family. Just to let you know, I tried. I had a fist full of sunflower hearts, offered them in out streatched hand to a group of Chickadees and...nada...nothing...they just looked at me, tapping their little toes...waiting for me to leave. You and Mike (AKA Snow White & Prince Charming) have the magic touch... I like your pictures and yes, the Flicker is a very beautiful bird. I like to see them fly into the yard. With the sun behind them, their wings take on a bright golden/mustard tone as they fly. I love the distinct markings on their backs and that touch of red on the back of their head is remarkable. I feel the same way about the Red-Bellied Woodpecker. Both have the power to stop me in my track when I see them.

Today is a PFW count day for me but before I could get started I needed to top off two feeders and replenish the suet. As soon as I got back in the house from doing so, I was rewarded with the Yellow-Rumped Warbler, back for some suet. I am also seeing more House Finch and, they look healthy.

Just like all of you, I am also getting an increase in bird song...I love it! I'm also noticing that birds are starting to show up in pairs. I noticed it first in the Woodpeckers...another good sign.

sooey

• jant
    16 years ago

Sooey....a "fistful of seeds"...LOL! Did you move verrrry slowly? The two times this happened there were only two birds there. Maybe they spook one another in larger groups...like horses? Try again....and again...and then keep trying some more!

Snow White................yeah, right. But I'll pass on the Prince Charming remark lol!