SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
terrene_gw

Project FeederWatch #4 - 2008/09

terrene
15 years ago

Hello all, starting thread #4 here. Hope everyone is enjoying the birds. It was a fun PFW count this week. Highlights include:

- Confirmed 6 and possibly 7 Bluebirds in the feeder area this week. It's hard to pin down the exact #, because these birds like to swoop around from the trees to the feeder and back. It seems that counting birds is a skill that needs to be honed!

- The pair of Red-breasted Nuthatches showed up for the count and have been visiting daily since. Such cute, friendly little birds, and not terribly common as they are only reported in 10% of feeders in Mass.

- Pine Siskins still visit daily, usually about 20 or so. Sometimes I go outside and there are a bunch hanging around in the trees making their little chirps. They sound like squeaky Goldfinches to me.

Although it's not part of my "count area", it was fun to look out into the back yard, after all that snow, and see lots of birds on the seed heads in one of the gardens. This is a good reason to leave some foliage standing in the gardens over the winter. I also like the way it looks.

Next year, there should be a lot more seed heads for them back here -

{{gwi:1058084}}

This is not a great pic, but the Goldfinches and Juncos (and maybe Siskins) are trying to get seeds out of the Monarda -

{{gwi:234901}}

And look who showed up yesterday - a lone male Common Redpoll! He was here today too. Not sure if there is a female or others around?

{{gwi:1058085}}

Previous threads -

Project FeederWatch #1 2008/2009

Project FeederWatch #2 2008/2009

Project FeederWatch #3 2008/2009

Comments (37)