Red Oaks too close together?

laff66

We just bought a house that has some new-ish red oaks in the front yard that are planted in "groups." I have not seen this done, so I'm not sure what its going to do over time. It seems to me that its going to look strange, but would like some feedback. I thought they were crazy to do it, but is it possible there's a good reason for it??

Here is a link that might be useful:

SaveComment5Like
Comments (5)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mjq77

I've seen this done more than once, but do disagree with the method.More than likely, it is the result of a sub contract with a landscaper, that has his on nursary, and greed, is a factor.You can always have the middle tree removed, and it would look less clustered, but HOPE that they arent still balled & bagged, and still in the cramped situation.You can tell,by looking at the trunk, and see if it looks "restrickted",at the ground level.

Save    
ladyslppr(z6 PA)

I think this is done to make a more natural-looking group of trees. In the wild trees often occur in clumps. In my yard I have several clumps of large trees growing very close together - within 5 feet at the ground. The trees are 70 feet tall, about 14 inches in diameter, and healthy. Some are Red Oak, others Red Maple, Black birch, White Oak. I think your trees can grow quite nicely as planted. Whether you want them that way is another question, but if it was my yard I'd probably leave them in place and let them grow.

Save    
joepyeweed(5b IL)

Besides imitating the natural clumps as stated above; Sometimes small trees are planted close together to encourge the trees to grow straight and tall (trees spaced far apart may grow out, rather than up) - eventually when the trees get a certain size, selected trees are removed - to allow the remaining straight trees to get larger.

Though your picture looks more like a landscape issue than a timber issue.

Save    
ddifranco

mjq77 - curious: How have these trees developed? Can you provide an updated photo?

Save    
wisconsitom(Zone 4/5)

Yes, maybe a little close, but all comments above do apply. that is, to achieve a more naturalistic effect, one should occasionally do things like this. The trees will grow up together and accommodate one another better than you might think.

+oM

edited to add: In time, that circle of edging will become completely meaningless. That, in my opinion, is uglying things up more than helping, but again, just an opinion. If you like it...or if it helps you maintain the lawn for a few more years, so be it. But again , in time, it will be superfluous.

+oM

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Art Barn Quilts Piece Together a Community
One man with one beautiful idea transforms Wisconsin’s Shawano County
Full Story
Home Offices Working at Home Together (and Apart)
One is easy. Two, not so much. Here are ways to make room for two to work at home
Full Story
Houzz Tours Houzz Tour: 'Pieced Together With a Purpose' in Dallas
This collected-over-time look comes from antiques, retro pieces and treatments that celebrate age
Full Story