SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

2006 Massachusetts Shopping/Sales Post

Hi,

Since I am starting to think about trying to find certain items for the 2006 growing season, I thought I might start a thread that everyone could post to of what they are looking for and/or where they have seen items for sale.

I am going to be looking for bamboo poles to start with, and/or tomato cages, stakes, maybe even some copper pipe. So if you see any of these items on sale somewhere, I would appreciate hearing about it.

Also some organic compost sold by the yard for new raised vegetables beds. The supplier I used last year did not have their lease renewed and is no longer there. Greenleaf in Jamaica Plain. They were a great company and I don't know how they will be replaced.

I am always looking for pots for the yard. So if anyone hears of a good sale on those, I am sure I am not alone in that.

Someone on the forum told me that Russell's has their seeds on sale for 25% off until March 1st. Thompson and Morgan, Burpee, ReneesGarden, plus some other unusual seed vendors.

Thanks and have a happy 2006 growing season.

:-)

Comments (93)

• montyburns
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

prairiemoon2,
    I am in Easton and there is a farm right down the street that makes its own compost, I assume from the previous years 'donations'. They sell it for like $4 a bag or $25/yard. the stuff is black gold. Drove by yesterday(4/2) and they were piling all the newly made black stuff, they have TONS this year. Don't know the name of the farm, but let me know if you're interested and I'll give you their contact info/directions.

-M

• sedum37
    18 years ago

Wendy2,
    Have you tried to get Fafard this year? What a few of us have found is that this year it is hard to get soilless mix without the fertilizer and water crystals. Prairemoon2 called Lexington Gardens and they only offered a store brand without added extras. They didn't mention the Fafard brand. Could it be that it is too early to buy the soil? If you find a store this year, let us know. I think this is a problem everywhere where the manufacturer's think they are helping adding all the extras (of course charging more) when certain plants can't take these extras.

Sue

• Related Discussions

Thursday,Nov.9,2006

Q

Comments (8)
    I used to go there one time a year, and that was to make a delivery. LOL. Since the *Mart moved in, and moved in again and moved in a third time, it's beginning to look better and better to me. I still don't shop there, save the fabric store, but found it's a great place to pack up a wheelchair and pack up my mother (yes, she can still walk, but I wouldn't make a 91 y.o. walk all over the mall!) and zoom her around so she can people watch and maybe pick out something pretty.... and then hit the food part and get my fix of Chinese food as she nibbles a burger.
    ...See More

columbus ohio plant swap/potluck sept 17, 2006 fall 2nd

Q

Comments (109)
    Hi Beverly, To answer your Q?, I did go to Darby Creek Nursery,me and my friends went there after the swap. But they didn't have a good sale like they did last fall.We left there almost empty handed.But we had stopped at Shroders off of 71 on our way to the swap and before we got to the swap. They have some really good sales on their plants.That's where we bought most of our plants that day. On our way home we stopped at Seely's. I ended up buying 4 Hostas and Jacquie and her sister Bobbi bought 4 or 5. And we were loaded for bear.LOL I was in so much pain I couldn't hardly stand it. But It was fun.I couldn't unload my car and lucky for me I have some very able friends who don't mind helping or doing for me.Oh!! If I only Had My Legs Back!!! What's this Beverly about you having a Hosta Sale on the 30th? Did you sell them for a business or are they your own??Diane had emailed me with the info and date, But I didn't get the message till after the day of your sale. Sorry I missed it. Hope you did a good business!!! Hope you and Betty had fun at the swap.Fill us in on the Goodies you brought home!! Keep in touch!! Granny57 Todays Memories Are Tomorrows Treasures May You Have Many Yesterdays!!!
    ...See More

SCPS Meeting Sunday 08/27/2006

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks for the pics Joanna, very nice of you to take the time to post them and they are gorgeous! Now I can hardly wait to get an inflo on the lipstick! Guess will have to wait until next year. My little one's yellow goes further up the petals I think. The flower is shaped the same way though. It is maybe 2" across if that much. It is so petite and cute. I'll have to get a pic of it and see what you think (maybe it is a PP) that would be nice! Jerri
    ...See More

Heat pump with Electrical or Oil Backup in Central Massachusetts

Q

Comments (7)
    Hi Mike, thank you for your reply. The furnace is original from builder. It is the reason we have to upgrade. The heat exchanger has a crack such that when it first starts we get oil smell. The AC is working fine. The fan motor/blower was changed 3-4 years ago. Most of the installers said that just fixing the heat exchanger is not worth it and is better to go with an upgrade. Maybe they are upselling? We have independent electric hot water boiler at present. One installer gave us Manual J calculation of 72769BTU, but I am not clear if that is heating or cooling or both. I assumed that is heating. Am I supposed to check for cooling too? If I go with that as reference for heating, 20KW heat strip generate 62800BTU 24KW heat strip generate 75300BTU So I thought we would go with 24KW because we don't like to be cold. Additionally, the 24KW heat strip is staged for 8,16,24. So it would only use what was needed. Don't know what cooling we will need because we got quotes from 3 ton to 5 ton, and current is 5 ton. How can we find out that ton we need for cooling? I had done some research and one calculator showed: 1. For Oil at $4.00 per gallon $36.09 per Million BTU. 2. For Electric furnace/backup heat at $0.1139 per KWH $34.06 per Million BTU. 3. For Heat Pump with HSPF 13 (Bryant Extreme) at $0.1139 per KWH $8.76 per Million BTU. So from that the electric backup heat is slightly cheaper cost wise too, but it would also not have all the problems of oil delivery, maintenance, spill issues, having to shovel the path to the oil pipe for the delivery guy (because that is on the far side of the house), etc. Plus oil prices seems to go higher faster, while our utility (small one) sets the price once a year and is one of the lower rates one. Thank you again for your help.
    ...See More
  • sedum37
    18 years ago

A little early yet but I read about a new sedum being introduced this year called Sedum 'Black Jack'. Just have to have one. When going around this season be on the look out for this plant. Probably only available at nurseries (not the big box stores) since it is fairly new.

Thanks!

• ginny12
    18 years ago

A great old-fashioned place for garden and nursery supplies is Bruckman's in Lawrence. Family-owned, been there forever. The kind of place where they can answer all (well, most) of your questions. And where they carry all kinds of odds and ends you don't find most places. I love it (ya think?). Easy to get to on 28, called Broadway in Lawrence. Call them if you are looking for something you can't find.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Sue and Wendy...I am going to have to check out Lexington Gardens again. Maybe they gave me the wrong information on Fafard mix. I bought a few bags of Hyponex over the weekend to hold me until I could get better and I had a terrible time with it, just sowing a few seeds in cups. I have a couple of unopened bags and they are going back. It was that bad.

Monty...Thanks for that tip. Right now I think I am all set for compost but I will keep them in mind if that changes. Thanks a lot!

Sue, I imagine you have a lot of sedum. I really enjoy them too and have a few favorites. I added a few that I was really happy with last year. Sedum Bert Anderson, and Purple Emperor and a variegated one that I am not sure what the name is. I was looking for that black jack too last year, but I wasn't out and about at the right times I guess. If I see it this year, I will let you know.

Thanks Ginny for another place to try .. :-)

• solana
    18 years ago

Watch prices at OSJL carefully. Nozzle I bought today was marked 3.99, rang up at 4.29 Had I been buying several items, I might not have noticed.

• newfiewoofie
    18 years ago

Regarding potting soil without all the extras...the container gardening forum has an interesting topic with a make your own recipe..I made some over the weekend and look forward to seeing how it does over the summer.

And if you need Perlite--Christmas Tree Shops have it for 2 8qt bags for $5-that's about 50% off from the nurseries and big box stores.

• Amanda (asarumgreenpanda, z6MA)
    18 years ago

Newfiewoofie, I'm really interested to hear how the home-made potting soil works for you. I've been using Mahoney's store brand soil, which costs more than I think it should, but I think it's a pretty good basic potting mix. I grow a lot of succulents in containers and I usually mix the Mahoney's soil with 40-50% bonsai soil - totally over-the-top, price-wise, but provides excellent drainage and aeration for indoor succulents. I do need a cheaper alternative for large outdoor containers, though.

Home-made soil reminds me, what is turface and where can I get some around here (Eastern MA)? How about LECA - anyone know a local (ish) source for that? I've been stalling on mail ordering LECA because I don't want to pay shipping on such a heavy product. TIA!

Prairie, I use Mud Gloves and like them very much. (I haven't tried Fox Gloves.) The Mud Gloves actually come in a size small enough to fit me (xs really IS xs, with these). They're easy to work in, as far as gloves go, and they do a great job of protecting my hands. When I take the gloves off, my hands are absolutely dry and clean. The gloves are machine washable, a big plus when you're as messy a gardener as I am. I got mine at Russell's a few years ago. I think they were around $10 then.

Want more sedum...

Amanda

• newfiewoofie
    18 years ago

Amanda-I too am interested to see how my window boxes and containers do this year. I am just a bit nervous because the soil, as discussed in the container thread, does not hold lots of water-a good thing-but my window boxes are in full sun, so I must be vigilent about watering. I do like the idea of being able to adapt the soil for various needs-and I may use some Soil Moist in some of the containers in my pool area that bake all day. I have not looked for Turface-I think it is a ceramic pellet soil ammendment that maintains the texture of the soil, retarding compaction. An important factor if you are going to plant long-lived perennials or shrubs/ trees in a container, but for my mostly annuals it's not a concern. When I am out and about over the weekend I'll keep my eye out for it and let you know.

• Marie Tulin
    18 years ago

I was just looking through a magazine and saw an ad for the fara-whatever- soil. They do have a website which might list retailers. I didn't bring the mag upstairs, but I'm sure www.farfard.com would get you there. If they don't list them, and they have a customer service number or email, I bet they'd supply you with retailers.

Anne, I wrote a note about foxgloves gloves but it got posted separately.

marie

• sedum37
    18 years ago

idabean - very good idea! Here is a direct link to the retailers...

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks everyone for the great glove info. Now I know what to look for and where to look. :-)

Sue, we managed to pick up a sprinkler at Lowe's. Nice heavy duty metal one, looks great. Also got the tomato cages at Home Depot. Thanks for the scouting! :-)

I did see some soil mixes at McCues in Woburn. They had the MG with fertilizer, but they also had Coast of Maine in 1 cu ft bags that is organic and is priced at $7.99. Another option they offered was Winter Wood brand? I think that was the name. It is also from Maine and is organic. It is what she described as a planting mix. Half peat moss and half compost. which is sold in 40 lb bags for $5.99.

Not sure how that compares but thought I would at least report what they had.

• corgicorner
    18 years ago

I have NOT read all the preceeding posts, but you might try your favorite nursery. You will have to ask, but mine has hundreds I am sure he would sell if asked. GOOD LUCK !

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Is it time yet for any nursery sales? I haven't been to any nurseries yet, but I am looking for some small ilex glabra shrubs, so I am waiting for a spring sale. If anyone notices any news from any nurseries..new shipments, sales, would be great to hear reports of what is going on. I saw Lowes had a circular in Sunday's paper advertising plants for the first time. Anyone check that out yesterday?

• diggingthedirt
    18 years ago

prairiemoon, you might try your local conservation district's plant sale, they usually sell Ilex glabra. At least, they usually do at the one on the cape, Barnbstable County.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    18 years ago

DtD...thanks for that info. Someone just posted a thread about that and I see it is coming up the end of April. I will check out their website and see if they list the shrubs. Thanks, I've done pretty well in the past at local sales, so I may try that. :-)

• sedum37
    18 years ago

So I couldn't help myself today I stopped at Lake Street Garden Center in Salem NH near my work. I found Sedum 'Black Jack' (1 gallon size for $11.99. I am psyched!) Also another interesting Sedum called 'Pink Chablis' ($9.99) with blush pink variegated foliage similar to 'Frosty Morn' but with pink instead of white variagation.

Lake Street has interesting ceramic pots in stock and perennials. Also summer bulbs and tubers for begonias, cannas, gladiolus, etc. Some hardy mini gladiolus. Also had the Fafard potting soil without fertilizer. Ran out of time wasn't able to get a price of the Fafard. (Hey but you save the MA sales tax).

Sue

• diggingthedirt
    18 years ago

Ooh, Sue, that Black Jack sedum looks fabulous. I'll be looking for small pots of it when the shopping fever hits - probably this weekend.

• sedum37
    18 years ago

DTD you may not find it in the small pots this year. It is fairly new and if you look at 'hot plants' on the internet this year it is one of them. So that is why I shelled out the $11.99. I had to have it. Hey my birthday is coming up. I have an excuse!

Sue

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Looking for another item. I need some thistle seed for the bird feeder. I was at a hardware store today and it was $1.69 a pound. So almost $9. for a 5 pound bag. I also saw a very small 10-15 pound bag for $26. Yikes! Just wondered if anyone has seen thistle for less money. Or if anyone knows somewhere you can buy it in bulk for cheaper?

Thanks,
    prairie

• wendy2
    18 years ago

Lexington Gardens has a 64 qt (2 cu ft) bag of Fafard container mix for $10.99 - smaller 30 qt bags were $5.49. Eric's in Reading had the 30 qt bags for $4.99.

-Wendy

• corgicorner
    18 years ago

Watch the A.C.Moore ads for clay pots. Recently they offered 6" clay pots for $.44 which is really an exceptional price. They often offer other sizes at comparative pricing, but you have to watch their ads.

• Bethany873
    18 years ago

This is random but Joann's fabric store has a gardening section in the front. They have LOTS of lawn sculptures and walkway stones on sale right now for 40-60% off, as well as various decorative stakes and trellises. I'm right on the MA border and usually shop at the one in South Attleboro. I got 10 really pretty celtic-looking stone plates and made a path down the center of my garden. If you're looking for ornamental stone things, I would definitely check it out. They offer 40% off coupons regularly as well for things that are not on sale. There is usually a pile of flyers (with the coupons inside) over at the fabric cutting counter.....grab one before you pay!

Beth

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    18 years ago

A visit to Lowe's yesterday proved somewhat disappointing. I didn't buy a thing. They had pansies and some perennial quarts and gallon sizes already, but nothing looked interesting. The pansies were especially disappointing. They had one variety that was pretty with a little ruffle to the edge, but I have seen prettier and of course the ruffly ones they only used in large expensive containers and didn't have any 6 packs.

It may be that winter sowing has made me pickier. [g]

prairie

• sedum37
    18 years ago

Hi Praire,
    The Dodge Grain/Agway store near my work in Salem NH had the following prices for thistle seed:

5 lb bag $6.99
    10 lb bag $11.99
    20 lb bag $19.99
    50 lb bag $36.75

They also had Pro Mix soil less mix for :

$14.99 for 3 cu ft
    $29.99 for 3.8 compressed cu ft (peat moss style bundle)

Plus no MA sales tax.

Sue

• sedum37
    18 years ago

Just a followup:
    I found out that the 3.8 compressed bale of Promix = 7 cu feet of the loose Pro mix soil for comparison purposes.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Sue,

I have not found myself shopping in that Salem NH area too often, I suppose because I am never in that area for anything else. I know it is a great area for shopping though and the lack of a sales tax is a real incentive when buying a large ticket item. I don't know Sue, I have a feeling your influence is going to get me shopping up there. [g]

Thanks for all those prices...they sound pretty good. :-)

• newfiewoofie
    18 years ago

Just a quick comment-if you go to Dodge Grain in Salem, you can then pop over to Lake Street Garden Center, just 3 minutes away. Now that is a totally worthwhile afternoon-or morning-or DAY!

• luckyladyslipper
    18 years ago

Praire,

There is an Agway in Northborough. Don't know if its prices are same as in NH, but perhaps closer to you. Tax won't be as much $ as gas!

• sedum37
    18 years ago

Got a couple more garden related things at Christmas Tree Shops recently. I was looking for a hat to wear gardening to replace my old hat. I found a canvas one at CTS that had a draw string to hold it securely on for $8. These types of hats normally sell at the pricey stores for $25 and up. Also bought some vermaculite, perlite and twine for good prices. For people having to decorate a rec room they have really nice pub signs for $12 or $13 like you would see in a restaurant, etc.

• newfiewoofie
    18 years ago

Went shopping for a very large (21 in) pot to plant my rose standard. Best price was at Lowes-better the HD and CTS. And Mahoney's in Winchester has healthy bushy Lady in Red Hydrangeas (good size-2 Gal pot) for $16.95. HD and LO's had small 1qt size Endless Summers- $19.99 and $17.99 respectively.

• User
    18 years ago

prariemoon2,

Hi! This is my first post on GW because I didn't think I had anything to share until now (even though I've been reading a gazillion posts in the last month). In your inital post you mentioned organic compost so I thought I would mention Ricky's!! http://www.rickysflowermarket.com/
    As a disclaimer, I am not an employee or anything, just a customer who has a hard time driving around their corner in Union Square (Somvl) without stopping every single time:)
    It's an "Outdoor European-Styled Flower Market" and tho I find the fare to be pretty standard with herbs, perennials, annuals and veggie packs I think it's hard in general to find specialty items anyway unless ordered and grown from seed. What they do carry is "Coast of Maine" organic soils and composts (one with blueberry & salmon compost!). I think they're $7 for a 40 lb bag but I find it worth the investment considering their ecological practices. From Coast of Maine's web site:

"We also burn hen manure (instead of heavy fuel oil) to generate our heat, minimizing energy costs and recycling the entire waste stream."

Regarding sales of interesting plants (for anyone in the Boston area who's interested), each spring Gore Place in Waltham has a plant sale with lots of heirlooms. I've only been once before but the one time I went I bought a "Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate" and it grew to 6 feet and bloomed beautifully and profusely!
    You can find more info here after you scroll down to May:
    http://www.goreplace.org/events/events.htm#plantsale

Hope this is helpful in your quest and I will definitely be checking back to read about some of the great deals people are mentioning here!

ps, Ricky's also sells Fafard brand and loose mulch.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello :-)

Thank you all for all the great input on this thread.

Newfiewoofie..I will keep that in mind about the Lake Street Garden Center, if I get out to that Salem NH area. Always like to know where there are good garden centers.

LLSlipper...Northborough is acutally quite a distance from me and I think you are right about the $ for gas. It is a shame we have to think of that this year.

Sedum37...I was just thinking that there were a few things I wanted to see if they had at the Christmas Tree Shops and I will have to make another trip soon. I didn't realize they had potting soil ingredients too. Thanks

Newfiewoofie...thanks for the comparison shopping report for the pots. Also, if anyone is looking for an 'Endless Summer' Hydrangea, I got my first one last year and it made it through the winter great. This spring, it was the first hydrangea in the yard to produce leaves. Now if it will bloom as well as it did last year. [g]

Florafauna...Congratulations on making your first post to GW and welcome! :-) Thanks for the report on Ricky's. It is nice to hear from someone in the Somerville/Cambridge area as we don't get that many reports from that area. Thanks! I have some area nurseries closer to me that also carry the coast of maine products. I do like them and have bought them when I needed a little. It just gets very expensive if you need a lot. I did finally get some compost from a very generous GW member who had extra.

As for burning hen manure...not sure I am following you. Do you mean you don't heat with oil at all, but rather use hen manure as your main heating fuel? What do you burn it in? Where do you get it?

And thanks for mentioning Gore Place, I had forgotten about them.

Well..here is an update.
    I have bought enough containers for the present time. I didn't end up with the ceramic pots that I set out to get, but until there is a significant sale somewhere on them..like 30-50% off, I think bringing home another pot would be frowned upon. [g] Maybe I already mentioned the cedar 1/2 whiskey barrels I bought at CTShops earlier? I just want to mention them again as I am so happy with them. They were $16.99 each and were large, handsome cedar containers. We just drilled holes in the bottom and stained the outside of the containers and now they are ready to fill. They look gorgeous! Not sure if they still have them, it was about 3 weeks ago we bought them.

Thanks to Sedum, we bought a new metal sprinkler at Lowe's and it is working out really great. It is much easier to use than the old one and I hope it will last me longer than the one season I was getting from the Martha Stewart last year that stopped working, and the Ace Value Hardware store brand the year before.

I am all set for compost, and all set for potting soil for the moment. I am checking the Sears website for a sale on their soaker hoses. I need about a half a dozen more. [g] They are normally $12.99 each so when they come down in price, I am hoping to pick some up. We already have about 8 of them and they have stood up well over time, even being left out all winter.

Did I mention we winter sowed all winter? I don't know if I will ever need to buy another perennial again! [g] OMG, I don't know how we are going to get all these seedlings planted. I have been to three nurseries so far this spring and it is hard to believe but I didn't buy one plant! Seriously though, I know that 'not buying plants' won't last long. lol There are a number of plants that I can't start from seed, but at least it narrows it down to those special few.

I am going to make some shrub purchases though. I still need a few but can wait until someone has them on sale.

It would seem we are over 75 posts on this thread and when it gets close to 100, I will start a new thread and link it from this one. I encourage anyone that has a shopping need to post what they are looking for. If I see any good buys or bargains, I will continue to report.

Thanks everyone!

• User
    18 years ago

Prariemoon2,

Regarding your question: "As for burning hen manure...not sure I am following you. Do you mean you don't heat with oil at all, but rather use hen manure as your main heating fuel? What do you burn it in? Where do you get it?"

I was quoting Coast of Maine's website & I believe they burn the hen manure for heating instead of using oil which I thought was pretty cool.

• baitsy
    17 years ago

Hi, I hope this doesn't come across as advertising. If it is I apologize. My dad owns a wholesale greenhouse business in Georgetown Ma. It isn't you typical wholesale greenhouse though. It is run my my mom and dad only. People found out about their great plants and began driving right down to their house and asking for plants. Recently my sister and I have put a small stand at the end of our driveway, and retail their plants at a small mark up. The plans are awesome. Great quality and all grown on site. You can pick from our small stash, or drive right down the driveway to the 8 house and pick out whatever. Pretty cool experience for buying plants grown on site. Again, I don't mean to advertise for the business, but thought you guys might like to check it out. We are off the beaten path in Georgetown. My e-mail address is baitsy@msn.com if you guys would like some more info. Also on sundays, another great place is TOdd's farm on route 1a in Newbury ma. You can usually find some good deals there.

• sedum37
    17 years ago

Yesterday 5/16, Lowes in Westboro on Rt 9 had nice quality tropical plants for sale (to get that container tropical look). Several types of hibiscus, coleus. Also cannas (unnamed and mixed) for $6. The Lowes is right down the street from Ocean State Job Lot on Rt 135. They still have many types of plant stakes at good prices. A potting bench for $40.

• mmqchdygg
    17 years ago

FYI- for those planning a trip to the Sister Plant Sale in Reading, MA, it is still on. I emailed them earlier today to find out if they are still holding it.

(She tipped me off; said they had over 2500 plants to sell!)

• Waitforspring
    17 years ago

For anyone in the mid-cape area the Sturgis Library on 6A in Barnstable is having it's annual plant, book and bake sale tomorrow June 3. It's being held from 10-2 rain or shine. I don't know what they'll have, but I'm taking 8 different named daylilies and several other things.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    17 years ago

According to the Globe this morning (Sat., June 3), there's a Native Plant Sale at Mass Audobon's Moose Hill Wildlife Sanctuary today and tomorrow (Sunday) from 9am to 4 pm. This is in Sharon, MA.

Native Plant Sale 1
    Sponsored by Moose Hill

Program Location: Moose Hill Wildlife Sanctuary
    Instructor: Volunteers
    Program Audience: All
    Program Code: 270-MH06SP1
    Number of Classes: 1
    Program Date(s) and Time(s):
    Saturday, June 3, 2006 - 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Join us for our third annual Native Plant Sale. We will have a wide variety of native perennials...most for only $5 each! Look for new and different plants, in addition to the garden classics. Want to volunteer for this project? Call Patti Shaver at (781) 784-5691 for details.
    Registration is required, unless otherwise noted. To register, or if you would like more information, please contact the sanctuary directly. Please do not submit registration requests via e-mail.

For more information, contact:

Moose Hill
    293 Moose Hill Street
    Sharon, MA, 02067
    Phone: 781-784-5691
    E-mail: moosehill@massaudubon.org
    View Moose Hill's home page.

Claire

• hipchick
    17 years ago

I didn't want to post this until I made it over and saw what they had, but there is an agway on rt 1 in Hampton NH (I think - it may be hampton falls or seabrook)and they have 2 small greenhouses that they start plants in. Every year they have a VERY small selection of perenials for $1.99/6 pack. The varieties are nothing amazing, and I think they are just 1st year seedlings, but they are nice hardy healthy plants that are a nice cheap way to fill in some spots.
    Last year I got delphs, cherry bells huechera, red hot pokers and a couple other things. The delphs got eaten by my vole :( but the rest did great.
    This year I got carnations, more delphs (I never learn), evening primrose, candytuft, golden acre sedum, and rose speedwell. Maybe someday I may even get to plant them!

On a seperate note, some of you may have seen the 99 cent periennials metioned in another thread at chakarians in derry NH. I finally made it there last weekend, and got a pretty good selection, again, pretty common plants but decent size (4" pots) many already with buds. i brought home 20 new babies and got them all in the ground on monday, the only nice day I can remember in 2 weeks.

If you are a not picky cottage gardener like me, you will be happy with either place

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks hipchick :-)

That's great to know. I wanted to also make note that Weston Nurseries in Hopkington MA is having a sale..

GARDENER'S CLUB SPECIAL!
    Friday, June 9 - Thursday, June 22

15% off all sizes of Norway Spruce (Picea abies), White Pine (Pinus strobus), and Canadian Hemlock Trees (Tsuga canadensis)

Thinking of creating a privacy screen? Now's the time to do it. We have an unbelievable selection of suitable plants! Come to Peter's workshop tomorrow at 10 am and learn how to use the trees on sale and other plants as privacy screens.
    ADDITIONAL SALES:
    Astilbe 'Red Cattleya'
    Orig. price: $13.95
    Sale price: $7.95

2 gal. Hydrangea 'Endless Summer'
    (the lovely bloom shown here)
    Orig. price: $48
    Sale price: $36

3 gal. Ilex crenanta 'Hetzii', Helleri' and 'Convexa'
    Orig. price: $39
    Sale price: $25

They also have Saturday seminars like a lot of places do now. If you want to find out more, I think you can find info on their website. www.westonnurseries.com

Lexington Gardens has birdseed on sale at 20% off right now and I think through the week. 25% off seeds. In July, they offer a coupon for 20% off any purchase. I am not clear on the details of that offer and for some reason they have no information about specials on their website. They had other things on sale, but I don't remember. I should have written them down. It was raining when I was there. [of course]

That's about it. I am looking for 50% off seed sales if anyone sees any. Plus sales on shrubs.

I am also looking for a plant called Nora Leigh Phlox paniculata if anyone sees one in their travels.

• sedum37
    17 years ago

New England Nurseries in Bedford, MA had some interesting Elephant Ears for $7.95 - Black Magic and Illustris growing in nice square pots (size smaller than 1 gallon). Also some tropical plants for containers - bougainvillea for $5, Rex begonias, cane begonias, selection of specialty annuals. Check them out if you're in the area. Some of the local towns they send out a flyer with coupons including a 20% off coupon any item and a Free 6 Pack of Annuals coupon. Also 20% off all cement statues and pots.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Sue :-) I went to their website and no specials posted. I do wonder why some nurseries don't post their specials to their website. It would make it SO much easier! Lexington Gardens doesn't post theirs either. What is a website good for if not for alerting people to specials? How much time could it possibly take to write a little blurb about what is on sale once a week or in some cases, once a month, onto the website? Plus, aren't they paying for flyers to be circulated? Isn't posting it to your website, free? This is probably the fourth or fifth nursery that I have looked on their website and found no specials listed.

Very strange.. :-)

• sedum37
    17 years ago

Prairiemoon I think the problem with the garden center web sites is that there are few computer literate people working there so they have to have outside people update them. So probably for most the extra cost is what prevents them from updating them frequently. Mostly they are useful for getting directions or telephone numbers. Even a big place like Mahoney's doesn't update theirs.

BTW From the Boston Globe (Sunday): I saw that most garden centers sales are down something like 30-40% and Mother's Day weekend with all the rain was a disaster. Most are struggling to make last years numbers and last years numbers were down as well because of all the rain last spring. So it is a tough time for them. The six week period from Mothers Day is when they do most of their business.

I am trying to do my part and buy some plants as I am sure everyone here is as well!

• sedum37
    17 years ago

Here is the article link (below, requires free registration).

Here's some quotes:

"Retail garden center owners estimate that business is down as much as 15 to 30 percent from the average year. Not only are lay gardeners disinclined to spend soggy Saturdays digging mud gardens, but impulse shoppers who visit nurseries are being turned off by the dearth of blooms."

``Most garden centers are struggling to meet last year's numbers -- and last year, we were down," said Michelle Harvey , vice president of the Massachusetts Nursery and Landscape Association and the owner of garden centers in Lunenberg and Winchendon. ``Over an average year, like 2004, most of us could be anywhere from 30 to 40 percent down."

"Nearly 12.5 inches of rain fell in Boston last month, the second-wettest May on record. The weather doused Mother's Day weekend -- traditionally garden centers' busiest weekend of the year -- devastating sales. And when the weather soured last week -- dumping nearly 3 inches on Boston, ushering in cool air, and promising yet more rain -- it appeared it could hurt the entire six-week planting season. That season, which runs from roughly the first week of May to the second week of June, usually delivers 60 to 70 percent of garden center sales, Harvey said."

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Sedum ...yes, I was thinking that people who work with plants are probably not usually that interested in computers, I suppose, but what about all of us here on GW? We are all pretty good in that department? Does it take that much to update a website? More than adding an entry to a blog, let's say? I can't imagine that it would be more than an hour job once a week and many of their employees might be capable of doing it. Am I wrong? You are right Mahoney's doesn't update theirs, BUT they do have an email newsletter, in which they send out specials with photos and everything. I get one. Weston Nurseries...not sure if they update theirs, but they have that gardener's club and when you join they send regular email letting you know what is on sale and if they have special seminar weekends, etc. I receive that one too.

I can understand that they are below their usual sales. There has not been a lot of planting weather so far. Once I get past a certain period, I sometimes will just forget my plans and make do with what I have. Soon it might be a little hot to be planting or moving anything without having to really babysit them. I will usually wait for the fall to start making any other major additions in the perennial or shrubs category. Thanks for the link...I missed that article yesterday.

Well...I am still in a buying mood though, as I have hardly bought a thing! Two NG impatiens, 1 six pack of pansies, 3 tomato plants and one coleus and one abutilon and that is it. I attribute that to winter sowing more than I do the weather though. Actually though, the last time I was at a nursery, a lot of their plants looked worse from the rain than mine did at home. I do have a hankering for some really new and cutting edge annuals...maybe flowerfields or proven winners and some really exotic coleus, but of course those are the most expensive and anyway, I am not seeing anything I really can't live without. And the PRICES!! Wow, I am having sticker shock and so thankful I did winter sowing this year. I really don't think I would feel comfortable buying everything that I would want for the season at the prices of plants. I think I used to buy 6 packs for around $3. Am I remembering right? Now I have to buy one special annual for $5 or $6. If I could buy 6 packs or even 4 packs for around $4. I would be buying a lot more. If nurseries would offer the quart sizes like Lexington Gardens does for perennials, I would buy more. If they would stop using the most popular sought after annuals to make up $40. hanging baskets and not sell them in smaller sizes, I would be buying more of them.

That reminds me of something else that Lexington Gardens does that I really appreciate and use. They print up a simple typed list in booklet form of everything they are planning on having in stock for the season. They just leave them at the checkouts, so the first time I visit there in the early spring, or whenever they come out with it, I pick one up and the next time I am looking for something, I can see if they have it.

Thanks again Sedum, for the link and the conversation. :-)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I read a post on the container forum that mentioned there is a sale at Joann's Fabrics in different Massachusetts locations. They have...

ready to finish adirondack chairs [$29] and garden benchs[$49].
    Pots at 60% off...[the store nearest me had a few things but I didn't come home with a lot]
    They had plant stands and shephard's hooks, yard art, small resin statuary, and wind chimes [brought one home for $5.] all at 50% off.

Below is a link for their store locator, plus you should be able to view their sales flyer.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Is anyone out and about shopping? Have you seen any sales?

• terrene
    17 years ago

I just bought a hydrangea for a girlfriend's birthday party this past weekend. It was 25% off at New England Nurseries in Bedford. I think they might have some other items on sale, but I don't remember what.

She and her husband have done some landscaping, put in a bit of lawn and a swingset for the kids. I figured a pretty flowering shrub would make a nice addition to the yard and will hopefully be a long-lived gift, something that can remain a connection between us as long as they live there!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks terrene. I always forget about NE Nurseries. A great idea for a gift! Nice friend. :-)

I just noticed how slow this thread was loading, I'm going to start 2006 Massachusetts Shopping/Sales Post 2. Here is a link for it: