SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plumeriastix

SCPS Meeting Sunday 08/27/2006

plumeriastix
17 years ago

Hi everybody! (I originally posted this to a different board, so any names mentioned are people which are on the other board). Went to my first plumie meeting yesterday and it was great! The lecture on greenhouses was extremely informative and very well put together. I had intended to take notes & pics, but left both camera and writing utensils at home on desk by mistake! I cannot even give the man who lectured proper credit as I do not remember his name (truly sorry). I am hoping someone can chime in with that as he definitely deserves credit!

I met a few people, Kathy from here on the board - she is quite nice and made me feel comfortable as well as Ted and Joy (past president?) and had a nice plumie converasation with them as well. Met a few more people but there goes the old memory again, sorry, can only remember so much these days!

One big thing I really wanted to pass on to everyone though is something I learned about planting in the ground (you experienced growers probably already know this). When planting in the ground for ANY type of plant, tree, etc. it has now been found that a SQUARE hole is the way to go. This helps prevent roots from circling or forming a ball as when the roots hit a "wall" they seek another direction to go. Once the roots have hit enough "walls" they tend to start rooting downward as they should! Of course if you have a smart plant hopefully they only have to do this once or twice before they get the idea to root down into mother earth!!!

There was a lot of really great info on greenhouses, unfortunately with the medications I am taking alot of the detailed info didn't stick (I will NOT forget pen & paper next time)! HOWEVER, if you are wanting to buy a greenhouse it is wise to not buy the geodesic (sp.) or domed greenhouses. These provide very little actual growing room as the sides are curved inwards. For small plants they would probably be great, but for those of us who want big tall bushy plumies they just don't work.

If I remember right (big if, so check my info before buying) red spectrum lighting = blooms and blue spectrum = growth. Temp, lighting, ventilation, water, fertilizer and pest control are all very important as we all know (well I'm learning anyways smile.gif and even the direction your greenhouse is facing is key. Before setting up your greenhouse research, research & then do some more research! You will save yourself a lot of time, money and heartache by finding out everything you can first!!!

Okay now for the fun stuff! My roomie and I both bought tickets for the raffle...roomie won!!! Was very pleased to get a seedling that is about a foot tall. It was not marked so it is my mystery baby. She has been named "Plumella" for pleumeria/Stella which is my Queensland Heeler pup (I guess I'm going to have to start putting real names along with given names on all my planters as roomie seems to have fun naming everything which I think is quite cute!) biggrin.gif I was so happy to be bringing something home that has leaves and roots! Lucky me, yay!!!

Then we went to Anderson's Garden Center on enterprise street. Wound up getting unnamed plant that bloomed on the way home! The bloom is tiny (love it) and I think is mostly yellow, darker toward the center than paling as it spreads outward turning white towards the edges. It has a quite strong very nice scent. Made one more stop at Home Depot near San Marcos and bought something labeled "Lipstick?" It is supposed to be dark pink/red. I now have 3 plumies with leaves and roots (plus my 3 1/2 - 4 foot girl) and a whole bunch of sticks who are starting to do pretty well!

So those were our endeavors yesterday and it was quite enjoyable! Thanks to everyone who invited me to the meeting and I will see you all at the sale on Saturday the 9th as not only will I be shopping but I will also be volunteering for a few hours. Just please don't ask me plumie ??? as I am definitely not the one to give any informative answers!!! I'll probably be asking you guys the questions!!!

Take care everybody,

Comments (2)