SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yama_gw

Help ! how to post photos ?

yama
17 years ago

Hi all

I need your help. I took photos of moss ball, moss bonsai to friend. He scan photos and tried to post on New England garden forum . It din't work. so he send photos to Cady . but Cady din't get photos.

How Can he post photos here?

It is long past due since I told you " I will post next week"

Photos are ready to send. ( about 22 photos )

Don't know how to post it. Please help...............yama

Comments (20)

• veilchen
    17 years ago

Yama, I was just thinking about you and the moss ball right before I clicked on the New England forum!

I am not an expert on photos, but what I found easiest is photobucket.com.

If the photos are on your friend's computer, have him go to photobucket.com and register an account.

There he can "upload" any photos on his computer to photobucket.com. Then they are stored in his "album" at photobucket.com.

From there, to get the pics to this forum, or any other online posting, just click under each photo on the "HTML" tag and copy. Then simply paste onto the GW forum after you have opened up a posting. After you paste, the photo will be in html text form, and will show up as the actual photo when you hit "preview" and then "submit message".

There is a "Test" forum here on GW that you or your friend can practice on if you want.

• diggingthedirt
    17 years ago

Claire has a post "final faq on html" that includes this info.

If you want a quick way to post photos, click on "Photo Galleries" in the green navigation bar above (where it says Garden Web, Blogs, Forums ... ) and look for "Submit your Photo" on the right. The photos won't stay on-line forever, but ... you can later add a new location when you get them onto photobucket or some other server.

Here is a link that might be useful: Claire's excellent HTML FAQ

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    17 years ago

He can also use tinypic.com which is run by Photobucket but doesn't require registration.

tinypic.com

The scanned photos have to be "Valid formats: jpg,png,bmp,gif,tif ".

Choose the HTML file, not the IMG.

Claire

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    17 years ago

Yama...if you are still having trouble let us know and someone can answer any questions and try to troubleshoot for you.

I am successfully able to post photos for a couple of reasons...one is I have photo software that came with my camera that will ready the photo for the internet. It allows you to choose the file format..I use jpg, and it allows you to choose the size. then it stores the photo in that size and file format in a folder on your hard drive. Check with your friend who has the photos and see if he has done that.

Next, if he is sending photos to Cady, he would again go to his camera software, and my software has an option of sending photos. I click on that and it walks me through sending the photos..choosing them and it creates the email with the photos in it and then all I have to do is fill in the address/subject line and write a note in the body.

If he doesn't have camera software, there may be another way to do it, but I am not sure how to. So let us know if there is a problem.

Dying to see those moss photos! lol
    :-)
    pm2

• WendyB 5A/MA
    17 years ago

my latest photo helper of choice is Picasa (desktop) and Picasa Web Albums. They can be used separately, but together they are extra handy. One click from desktop viewing to upload to web album. Another click to share. (mail or html).

All free and good amount of space for free too. Only piece missing is auto-resizing to conserve web space. I use another tool for that, but that's optional too. The viewing size on album is limited intentionally for readability.

One click from album to capture this thumbnail html code:

From Hosta

And for 22 pictures, its probably best to direct folks to an album rather than embed 22 pictures in a single thread. Could do 22 thumbnails pretty easy though.

17 years ago

Thumbnails are great (I speak as a dialup user)!

The one problem is that many people don't realize that a thumbnail becomes a fullsize picture when you click on it. I've seen a number of posts where a thumbnail is embedded without explanation, and readers complain that the picture is too small, or worse, pass it by without comment.

If you use them, it's a good idea to identify them as thumbnails. Of course, sometimes a small pic is just a small pic, and I keep clicking with no result.

Claire

• diggingthedirt
    17 years ago

Wendy - great photos in your album! My shrubs could learn a lot from yours, mine are not so well behaved. Oh, wait, maybe it's *me" who could learn a lot! Anyway, you have a great garden, thanks for the link to the photo album.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    17 years ago

Wendy, I took a look at your photos too and really enjoyed the clematis photos...will have to go back and check out the shrubs when I have a minute. :-) I think I like that Picasso service and will check that out too. Thanks. pm2

• WendyB 5A/MA
    17 years ago

Thanks on the plant photos. I am definitely a clematis-aholic!

Usually thumbnails have a border around them that makes it a bit more obvious. I notice above that the Picasa code does not include such a thumbnail border.

Also when getting the code from picasa to include in a post, there is also a checkbox to simply get the picture instead of a thumbnail.

speaking of thumbnails, another thing I like about Picasa web albums is that they offer 3 thumbnail sizes for viewing albums. The large size is usually sufficient so that you can see the whole album on one scrollable page without doing a slideshow or viewing a pic at a time. Saves a lot of time.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    17 years ago

Wendy...

I did get a chance to go back and look at more of your photos...you have a very pretty garden! I loved the tree peony in the shrub folder. I have a tiny one that hasn't bloomed yet, so it was fun to see what it could look like. I also have that Nikko Deutzia and it is tiny right now, so I didn't realize it would get that large...well, it is still quite small. I do like it...how long have you had it? All your shrubs were very nice...the Mt Airy certainly has great fall foliage.

Gypsy Rose hosta and ALL your clematis are gorgeous! I kept trying to pick a favorite, but it changed every time I looked through it again..lol. What I loved the most is the way you have presented them with different ways of getting them vertical. I enjoyed it...thanks for sharing!

:-)
    pm2

• isabella__MA
    17 years ago

I read the FAQ and opened a photobucket account, but I still can't get the images down to size.

Allow me to ask a few questions:
    Does the image resolution impact the final picture size?

If I change the pixel count in photoshop will that impact the photo size in GW?

In photobucket, I resized two different photo (no apparent difference to me) one shrinks down but the other requires scrolling over to see. What the secret? I want to post a pic of my wetlands that was grubbed for a pipeline installation.

TIA!

• veilchen
    17 years ago

Isabella, if you are hitting the "back" button after resizing on Photobucket, and then copying the link and pasting, it will be linked to the size your photo was BEFORE you resized it. Later links should go to the properly sized photo. That may be the problem.

• diggingthedirt
    17 years ago

>If I change the pixel count in photoshop will that impact the photo size in GW?

If you change the size in photoshop, save it as a new file, and then upload the new file/image to a server, the photo that shows up will be the same size as the one you saved.

In a pinch, you can use this syntax to have a large image display smaller:

[ img src="URL" HEIGHT="n", WIDTH="n" ]

where the [ and ] are really the "pointy brackets" and URL is, of course, the URL of your photo, and the height and width are the size you want displayed, in pixels. A good maximum width is 450 pixels. Ex: WIDTH="450"

THis doesn't help people with dialup, because the large image is still transmitted, but the image is resized by the browser, and this prevents large images from wrecking a thread by forcing people to scroll.

17 years ago

Just to give an idea of what sizes of photos are appropriate for different uses, the following is from the descriptions on a CD from Photoworks.

"There are three folders* on this CD labeled with your roll number. Each folder contains a set of your images in a different size**:

The .LOW folder (384x256 pixels) contains small versions of your images that are great for sending as e-mail attachments.
    The .ROL folder (768x512 pixels) contains images that work best for use in newsletters and on Web sites.
    The .HI folder (1536x1024 pixels) contains the original "full size" images created when your film is digitally scanned. These images are perfect for making full sized printouts of your images. "

I've been posting the .ROL images.

Claire

• veilchen
    17 years ago

I think we've thoroughly confused Yama. But I still really want to see a picture of his moss ball!

• isabella__MA
    17 years ago

Didn't mean to hijack Yama's thread with my own questions, but I figured Yama may have some of the same ones.

Post the moss balls!

17 years ago

Give us an M!
    Give us an O!
    Give us an S!
    Give us another S!
    MOSS!!

Give us a B!
    Give us an A!
    Give us an L!
    Give us another L!
    Give us an S!
    BALLS!!

We want to see MOSS BALLS!! (Visualize the Forum rising up and waving Pom-poms!!)

Claire

17 years ago

(nothing like putting pressure on the newcomer to the forum.... It must be Cabin Fever Season)

Claire

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    17 years ago

Claire, you crack me up! lol

I have been wondering what happened to poor yama. I think he will be back and when we finally see photos of those moss balls...well...gosh, we are all going to be racing out to the yard to dig up our moss. :-)

17 years ago

Either that or yama is desperately trying to convince Cady to move to Georgia with him rather than yama moving to Salem (just kidding).

I've been eying some moss I saw on the side of the road ....

Claire