SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claireplymouth

New England Seasons - Traditional and Real

All of this talk about the weather in current posts started me thinking (not always a great idea) about New England seasons - traditional and real. The following draws on other people's thoughts as well as mine.

..........................................................................................................................

Winter

Tradition: Cold weather, when the earth is covered with snow, plants are dormant, and animals scrabble for food.

Reality: All that, but also the end of Irrational Exuberance Season, followed by Cabin Fever Season and the beginning of Mud Season. Humans are enveloped in protective clothing, and sometime cavort in the snow.

Spring

Tradition: The time when the earth awakes - flowers open, birds and bees prance around, and the air turns balmy. Critters get interested in reproduction.

Reality: All that, but also the end of Cabin Fever Season, the last half of Mud Season, and the beginning of Road Construction Season. Warm clothes get put away too soon, and are replaced by shorts, t-shirts and sandals.

Summer

Tradition: A warm wonderful time, when plants and animals are enjoying the easy life.

Reality; All that, but also the time of continuing Road Construction Season and the onslaught of Tourist Season. Shorts, t-shirts and sandals rule.

Fall

Tradition: A time of harvest, when plants come to fruition of their life cycle and animals (including humans) enjoy the bounty.

Reality: All that, but also the continuation of Tourist Season, a brief burst of Leaf-Peeping Season, followed by Leaf-Raking Season and Early Winter Season, then the beginning of Irrational Exuberance Season as Summer seems to return and linger. Road Construction Season winds down. Warm coats are brought out but left unbuttoned and the hats and scarves and gloves remain in storage.

..............................................................................................................................................

Have I missed any Seasons? or has Cabin Fever started early?

Claire

Comments (35)