SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

Glazed Pots/ Urns Outdoors in Z.5 New England

arbo_retum
14 years ago

I have been encouraging everyone to check out the amazing Mahoney's deals on outdoor urns etc. and I realized something today. For those of you who cannot move these things in and out of doors, I have some potential good news. Many yrs ago, an excellent z.5 gardener friend of mine placed a beautiful huge urn/amphora in her garden, as a decoration on its own(i.e.she didn't plant in it or use it as a fountain.) She left it out for the winter and it did crack through, but it didn't matter because she never moved it. Because she never tried to move it after it cracked, it jut stayed together.You couldn't see the crack.

I would guess that this condition of a crack not mattering would also exist if you planted something in the pot, but I don't know if freezing/expanding/contracting of the soil would be a factor with regards to shifting the walls of the urn......but maybe it wouldn't matter if there were a drainage hole in the bottom of the urn. We may find out about this latter case because we left out one such huge planted urn this winter,now, as we speak.

But heck, if you see a big urn marked down from $190 to $30 or $12.50 , and you have a spot in mind for a permanent piece, why not try her idea? A big piece of pottery really adds a lot to a garden.

best,

mindy

Comments (5)