SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
triciae_gw

Cherry Trees Blooming in D.C. & NYC

triciae
17 years ago

Thought I'd start a new thread on what's blooming that's way out of the ordinary...

Heard & saw pictures on the Weather Channel that some of the cherry trees are in bloom in D.C. NYC. Also, that at the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens, the turtles have broken hibernation & are swimming (normal would be April). Also, water temperature in the Great Lakes is the warmest on record for January 1. Boston just experienced its warmest December on record as did, I'm sure, most of New England. We are forecast to be 60 degrees here on Saturday.

My Snow Fountain cherry's buds are expanding & if this weather continues...I'm anticipating blooms within the next 2-3 weeks, maybe sooner. There's nothing in the ten day forecast to slow things down.

As mentioned in other posts, I've already got pansies, primrose, iberis, and PJM in bloom. My scilla's buds are lengthening so will bloom soon. I've got a cute little bouquet in the master bathroom of the pansies & primroses.

Yesterday, I was in the garden & moved away mulch to take a look at most of the perennials. All varieties of my sedums are sprouted (I recovered them.) My Black-eye-Susans are now about 3" tall. Achimilla mollis is putting out fresh new leaves all around the gardens. I don't have forsynthia but there's one 3 houses away that has yellow on the tips. Beach roses' buds are swollen & look ready to leaf out. Daffs & daylilies are all up. The daffs have a few buds now that were not there a week ago. Lunaria & hollyhocks both have new spring leaves & the lunaria has one flower stock forming (they are usually one of the first in flower in my garden). Creeping phlox has open flowers on the white variety & the others are in bud. Under the mulch, my brunnara is up (I recovered well). Huecheras are actively putting out new leaves from the crown center. Kerria looks like it's trying to wake-up. Prunus 'Thundercloud' has swollen buds. One bright blue bloom on vinca 'Illumination'. Omphaloides are growing but can't see any flowers yet. Gaura & caryopteris never went completely dormant. Phlox davaricata is up and growing but no flowers. Pulmonarias are growing but no flowers in back garden but not side garden. Tall bearded iris have new leaves but no flower stalks.

What do the rest of us have either already in bloom or ready to open?

Tricia

Comments (2)