SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eyolf_gw

tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, etc.

eyolf
18 years ago

I am aware that there are other forums for discussing warm weather crops such as above, but there are few Gwebbers on those forums from our short season zone.

I have become interested in working around the challenges to growing really good tomatoes and other warm-season veggie crops in our area, and would like to converse with others that have experimented a bit in this area.

This past year has been a very good one for such crops; welcome after last year, HUH?! Even late-season types that have been iffy in the past did well. What are others' experiences, what varieties do you choose over others, and what would you like to try?

For Peppers, I have nearly always had good luck with Jupiter, Apple, Lipstick, and The Hungarian wax types. I will usually get at least a few green peppers and sometimes a "changing-color" pepper from any of the others as well. I have found that a few of the types like King-o'-The-North don't yield well or taste very good.

For Eggplant, I have yet to have good luck with any of the plain-jane large purple ones, but some of the oddball colors and shapes have been good. None great, though.

I have grow more tomatoes than any other type, having tried around 500 varieties, heirloom, OP and modern hybrid. So far I have decided that Kotlas gets the nod for an early, but there are no clear favorites for the rest

I'm curious if there are any other northern veggie growers on the MN forum.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH