SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hooti_gw

Midland Shooting Star are tough little buggers

Hooti
19 years ago

Hi-thought I would give an account of my venture to grow Dodecatheon meadii in case it helps anyone here.

They germianted in abundance and I spent all last summer dealing with flats upon flats of teeny weenie pain in the butt seedlings that never got beyond one little leaf. I tried everything-putting them in peat pots, putting them in larger pots. They got washed out by rain, eaten by insects, dried out, drowned. I hate tiny seedlings. I have great patience in April but come july they were in dried out piles, upside down, drowned in mud - you name it.

I had pretty much given up by fall, but I buried the peat pots and buried the other pots into the ground intact. What was left in cell packs was so far gone I just left them under the picnic table.

A couple weeks ago the seedling reappeared in the buried pots. Then I found one in a dried out pot on its side in the garage. Then another in a milk carton by the garage. Then about thirty in the dried out cell packs-upside down, on their side, potting compund half washed out.....

What incredibly durable little being they are!!!!! I am overjoyed!

I dont think they will flower this year but they do have four or five leaves so its an improvement over the one little pea sized leaf that endured the last summer with me.

I think they are so "original" and "creative" and mark a high point in God's career as Creator Diety. (holds up a card that says 9.5)

Thought I would give the account in case anyone else here thinks they are special but gets daunted by the slow growth combines with its ephemeral nature and gives up or decides not to try to grow them from seed.

In LVX

Laurette

Here is a link that might be useful: Dodecatheon meadii

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living