SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
idiothe

Grab your notebook and head out into your garden! TP2EAPutno !!!

11 years ago

Just got back from the Midwest Convention and it got me thinking about polls and lists. I see Paul did a major "Top 100" poll and the AHS does their popularity poll.

I did an article "handicapping" the Benedict Medal competition. (For those who don't know, the AHS started a process several years ago by which hostas become eligible and go onto the ballot for Benedict recognition and one hosta each year wins the Medal and goes onto the list of Best Hostas Of ALL Time.) Of the fourteen this year, I used my own special criteria to weed it down to four, then applied other criteria and narrowed it down to two. Neither of those two won... my third guess, Niagara Falls, did win.

SOOOOO

I did surveys a couple of times in past years that take a little different form - and you can prepare to vote by walking your garden and taking notes. In the past I did the survey in winter and people complained that they couldn't see the plants so they had trouble voting.

For years I've been saying that we don't need 500 different large green hostas. As much as I enjoy going in a wine shop and seeing 50 different white Bordeaux labels, I really only need one good one for under $10. This poll fills a gap. I call it TP2EAPutno - The Poll To End All Polls (until the next one.)

I will ask you to vote for a maximum of two in each of a bunch of different categories. In green, for example, we will vote for what we consider the very best Very Large Green hosta... but also the very best Large Green... Medium Green... Small Green... and mini Green. Same thing for various colors and color combinations.

The goal - if somebody says "I need a medium-diameter blue hosta... which one is the best?" we can pull out the results of our poll and see Halcyon. (OK... I know I should wait until we've voted, but seriously???)

Don't start putting votes here - there will be separate listings for each category. And please, only vote once even if you see the "ballot" posts on more than one forum... But start thinking about your favorites in each category. Some of them will be hard choices!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH