SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jrslick

Becoming a Monoculture farmer.... update

Well it has been a great week. Last Wednesday, I had the best day ever in 5 years of selling at Farmers Markets, then on Saturday I sold almost $100 more than that! It has been really good. My problem in I am becoming a monoculture tomato farmer. It is feeling that that is all I can grow this year. Tomatoes and Cherry tomatoes. I am glad I do that well, but I am afraid the bottom will drop out of that market in a week or two.

My cucumbers gave me 28 sellable cucumbers. I have 75 row feet of cucumbers. I am use to picking 28 a day. 3 zucchini in 150 row feet. Use to picking 45-60 pounds a day. At least the early zucchini was better.

Potatoes are dieing a slow death. It has been 95-103 for the last 7-10 days. We have good moisture and weeds are growing fast!

Okra is happy! It is almost to my shoulders I need to pick some tomorrow. First of the year. I got it in a little late.

Beans are doing well. I have multiple plantings. They are spaced 3-4 weeks apart. Second planting is producing great, third planting is ready to be picked and I saw a few blooms on the fourth planting. I really can't pick 475 feet of beans in one day.

Melons look good, they are late. I don't try for the first melons, I go for the time when the first melons run out. Mid to late August/early September.

Early fall carrot growing well, fall crops growing nicely inside.

I am hoping for a great fall.

Jay

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction