SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cfox248

UPDATE to my "Emergency Citrus Saving" thread - and a thank you!

cfox248
10 years ago

Hey all!

So you might remember me posting frantically about my lemon tree in this thread:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/citrus/msg0320033722011.html?21

Well, just an update - the tree is looking awesome (considering what happened!) I left for spring break and before I did gave it some water, a spray with Neem and well wishes, hoping it'd be okay when I got back. And it was! The leaves are still going strong. I only found ONE scale after those 6 days on the tree, hiding under a lower branch my mister probably didn't get.

I came back with a bigger pot, better soil, and some determination. I took it out of the old pot and to be quite honest I don't know how it didn't have root rot. The dirt was packed so hard it was like clay. I shook out as much as I could from the roots and took the opportunity to give it one really good spray with alcohol and Neem before planting. It's in a 12 inch pot now, much deeper, and in a good mix of MiracleGro's "cactus, palm and citrus" soil and perlite. Many drainage holes in bottom. The poor tree doesn't have a huge root system (probably due to that clay-dirt!) but now it's got plenty of room to grow! I also clipped off all the dead branches. Looks much cleaner.

It's still in that sunny window with the humidifier. The grow light was off all of break, but it seemed to do okay, and it's on the normal 12 hours again. After planting I gave it another spray of rubbing alcohol/neem. I do NOT plan to let those bugs back in, I think it might become regular preventative maintenance for me to spray a few times per month.

Here are some pictures. I wanted to thank you all again - the tree is somewhat sentimental in a stupid way. This last summer my local garden center became my second home as I tried to learn to grow herbs -a HUGE place with around 17 greenhouses, family run for over 100 years, VERY friendly staff (and a nice resident parrot). It really furthered my love of gardening - especially edible gardening, and really opened my eyes to the bigger picture. Sadly, they were recently forced to close their doors, and this lemon tree is all I have left from them! I have no real attachment to the store itself, nor did I know the owners, but my tree is a fond memory of that summer and the time spent there. I'd be so sad to lose it.

here are some pictures of the replanting process!

The rootball:
{{gwi:575169}}

The old dirt. Ick!
{{gwi:575170}}

All these little twigs were dead, so off they come! This was a favorite hiding spot of Scale - Not anymore!
{{gwi:575171}}

the new soil-perlite mix
{{gwi:575172}}

In his new digs!
{{gwi:575173}}

The recent leaf growth!
{{gwi:575175}}

THANK YOU all who offered advice!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews