SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
notolover

epi & dr question and rambling update.

notolover
13 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Haven't been here for a while.

Question about my epi cactus. I think I may have literally cooked it last summer. I had it hanging in my shade house, but I think I'm using the wrong shade cloth-it's gray. The cacti are far enough away so no effect from built up heat, but the epi was right at the top.

Some of the stems are red and shriveled. It's in my sun room now, but I just don't know what to do with it. I'm trying not to overwater. The temps in the sun room this time of year have highs in the 70s and lows in the high 40s. I have some starts that look great, but I didn't have them outside last summer.

Should I just trim the red, shriveled parts and repot? I'm going to put it on the front porch this year so it will only get morning light, but plenty of fresh air.

Do Desert Rose plants have to be acclimated to the outside like cactus?

Some of my Echinopsis hybrids are getting buds-Yay!! A few that I got from Arizona were trying to grow and they look a little etoliated. I don't understand why they want to grow since they are on the floor (the coldest spot) and I haven't given them much water. I moved them so they are getting more light.

I planted a Trichocereus hybrid outside inside an Aqua Dome. It is a clever item similar to a wall of water, but much more substantial. We've had temps in single digets this year, but I've been checking up on it and it still looks green. I can't see the bottom so maybe it did freeze, but I have my hopes. Those Aqua domes are going to be handy to start my garden early. They are hard to find and spendy, but if I can get tomatoes early and a big pumpkin, I'll be happy!

I planted 425 cactus seeds in August and only one shows any promise of becoming a bona fide cactus. I learned a lot though. I never got one to that point before!

I did buy a plant light, but I believe they need more water. I'm also getting a heat mat for germination and I'm trying more.

The one that is doing well was planted in a cup with no holes and no dirt (the method calls for builders sand). I still have the plastic bag on it after all these months. The other seedlings live in a recycled cupcake holder from the store bakery, the pots (styrofoam cups) all have dirt and holes in the bottom. One of the pots originally didn't have holes and that one had the best germination rate (100%). 50% of them died after I punched holes in the cup but they do look less spindley than the rest.

I also had some seeds self-germinate under their parent plants--these also look better than the ones I'm trying to baby.

That's all I got, answers to my questions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (6)