SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elkwc

Garden update and Onion odditity

elkwc
11 years ago

First the onions. I was thinking a few weeks ago this was the first year I could remember where I never had one onion bolt or send up a flower stalk. I started from seed all but one variety which I purchased from Dixondale Farms (Candy). Then a few days later I noticed one of the Candy's sending up a flower stalk. I pulled two more today that had sent up flower stalks bringing the total to 10 out of the 65 that was in the bunch. The smallest bulbs are the size of a hard ball. The two biggest ones almost the size of a softball. The leaf count on those that sent up a flower stalk has been from 9-11. The leaves are long and have a large diameter. I'm not sure if the hail almost a month ago triggered it or what. From reading the Dixondale site I guess it is common but the first time I've ever seen it on large onions this late. Maybe the swinging of temps had an influence. Just a month ago we had high temps in the 90's and lows in the high 40's all over a 2 span if I remember correctly. The bulbs aren't near the size of the largest but in a normal year I would be happy with them. I thought about leaving them but decided I'd better yank and use them.

Most of the rest of the garden is doing fine. The birds are eating on my tomatoes even before they break color. I have water around the garden and yard in several places. I laid two Sweet Beverly's on a bale of hay and when I came back found one 8 foot away that had been pecked on. The plants are showing early signs of heat stress. The current 100 degree temp with 30 mph plus winds will take a toll. And not much relief in sight for at least 6 days and more likely 8. I'm going to spray the fruit with Surround to see if that helps. When I got back from CO a coworker who gardens big wanted to know what to do. The birds had wiped out all of those they had close to breaking color. I told him Surround was about all I knew that might work. The grackles have moved back in here. I suppose it is because things are starting to dry up. I have water and food. Anyway they are getting the blame. I posted elsewhere I've dug all but two garlic plants. Overall a nice harvest. The wind blew the tops over on one red onion variety. I'm guessing it must be getting close to maturing. The other varieties aren't showing any signs yet. I have from 11-13 leaves on the Colorado varieties I planted. And they were the last two varieties I started almost a month after the earliest ones. So hoping for large bulbs on them when they decide to mature. They are known as a fall onion along the valley so not sure when they will mature. The leaves on them have passed the Candy onions and still growing and adding leaves. The beans have slowed down some with the heat. The hot peppers are doing better than the sweet which is to be expected. One of the varieties that Chandra sent me is growing extremely well. I'm heading to a meeting of a Farmer's Market group this evening. Will decide if I'm going to join after I attend the meeting. Jay

Comments (7)