SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biradarcm

Garden Update: June 2012

biradarcm
11 years ago

Dear All,

I hope you are all enjoying bountiful harvest. I have been thinking to update about our garden and post few questions since many days. However somehow things are keeping me away. Our garden is doing ok so far. I have linked our garden picture taken this month Click here

We have been harvesting lot of produce. Tomatoes top the list, having >30 types, we have been enjoying fresh eating as well as cooking. Kids are fallen in love with tomatoes! Mom and Priya are busy in drying and freezing. As fresh tomatoes on kitchen counter are attracting lot of fruit flies. I don't know how to keep them way. Dawn, how you store fresh tomatoes and how long?

Chilies and peppers are producing heavily, I usually see such production late august and sep. But this year they are producing heavily much earlier. Jay's chilies are yummy, they make wonderful bajjies. Okras, Cucumbers, Squashes/Zucchinis, and beans are also not behind the race.

Cluster beans, third batch of snap beans, pole beans, southern peas are growing well. Sweet potatoes are crossing their limits and growing everywhere. Same applied to sun chokes and horse radish. Sun chokes are more than 8ft now, they just started producing flower buds. Do you usually remove flowers from sun chokes? keeping them blooming affect the tubers production?

As I posted earlier we had great harvest of onions, garlic, potatoes, they are sitting in our new storm shelter.

Landscape and flower garden is doing great too. Our bare earth lawn tuned into lush green golf field. Its amazing to see how Bermuda take over!

Dawn's petunias, angel trumpet and chamomiles are growing gorgeously (see pics). Dawn, Laura bush petunias are blooming profusely, I noticed some variation in color from all four tiny plants you gave from dark pink, light pink, purplish pink. One Angel trumpet is doing great but other one's leave mutated. Do you think is that viral infestation? Ohya! that "Dragon Claw (pics 43-45)" plant is growing crazy and covering nearby plants.

Water Garden is looking with flowers and plants around. "See pics" I put couple little gold fish. Anyone suggest where I can get large common koi or gold fish so that kids enjoy feeding them.

No many bad bugs except squash vine borer and some stink bugs. One of the old summer quash become victim to SVB, but that's ok as it produced many before hit by SVB. Stink bugs are under control. I see lot of harlequin bugs on horse radish and need to control them. We have eastern blue birds, house sparrows and barn swallows build their nests and raising babes. They are picking most of the bugs. Even my daughter's caterpillars she is petting some bird protection on dill plants are stolen by birds.

Barn swallows: These pretty nice looking bids are visiting our home every year and build nests in front porch just above the door. I love them but they mess up entry with droppings. They are already raised one set of offspring by mid june and juveniles are flew away and I removed that nest. But now again they have started building their second home. I won't mind if they build their nest on back porch or side walls, garage porch. Is there a way to show them to build another place around home? How to discourage them to build nest on front porch? I want to keep them but not in front porch.

I notice very few honey bees this year. May be they have plenty of flowers in the wild other places.

I not watered garden that much so far. But now seeing dry forecast, looks like I need to turn on the irrigation system. Drought forecast shows we are not yet under any category, but looks like it will grab us under her claws soon.

I am sure missed many things on the updates, but picture may cover that gap.

Have a great summer.

Cheers -Chandra

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden in June 2012

Comments (17)