SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
medontdo

UPDATE: update: mnf garden fae and friends

medontdo
15 years ago

{{gwi:1275315}}WELCOME FAE AND FRIENDS, OLD AND NEW!!!!!

This swap is to welcome the Fae into our gardens. HOW you ask???? Very easily..... by providing them with the things that they like.

Lets see how many Fae People we have hiding in the forests and woods of GW!!!

I will be posting partners on the 10th of May and the ship date is no later than the 26th. Please try to ship your partners box during the week instead of close to the weekend to save any plants from the Weekend Post Office Hotel:)

Please send your partner at least 5 Fae loving plants.

Seeds do not count as plants but can be sent as extras.

Anything else that you send is extra, I just don't want it to get expensive. Just remember its all about making Fairies and their friends welcome in our gardens and lives.

So, here are the RULE RULES........

1. As per GW rules, you must be at least 18 years old to participate in this swap.

2. Signups go until the 10th, Packages must be sent by the

26th of May.

3. Keep it small and inexpensive!

4. Have fun!

If you are someone who likes to peak in and read, please post a HELLO! We love meeting NEW FRIENDS! Come on in and visit with us awhile!

PARTNERS..........

>Pixiesluvplants and Diene

> >Dan the mail man and Sassybutterfly

> >Kalena67 and Amybabyboy3

> >Nikkineel and Scouttiegirl

> >Medontdo and LLbean

> >Dirt_under_my_nails and Emsgarden

> >Flwrs4ever and Veeja

> >Lindaruzicka and Allisonlwise

Thanks goes to that special person that spent alot of time pairing up partners. Please get in touch with your partner for any information that you might need or want to put together a Fairy box.

Most of all have fun and enjoy the month of May and all the lil sprites that come your way!!!

Comments (54)

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

that's just so cute!! i want some feeders, we tried to make some, but the glue didn't stick right for some reason. errrr!! so we are starting over. its the kids's homeschooling projects. they had fun with it. :')) i plant cypress vines and if i set really still on the porch they will eat from them but i have to breath really slowly. they are an amazing bird!! i love them so much!! :'))

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

Scouttiegirl, I am so glad you enjoyed your box. I hope the plants arrived healthy.
    I received your box today! WOW! Sarah Kate and I had such a good time going through everything! The plants are already in the ground. I'm going out to water them in as soon as I finish this post...
    Heather (scouttiegirl) sent:
    plants: penstemon - miniature bells
    three hostas...one of my favorite plants:)
    gaillardia - plume red (I've never seen this color, I can't wait to see it bloom)
    dianthus - wee willie (knock on fairy wood, these are coming back for me each year)
    veronica - blue bouquet
    purple oxalis
    2 columbine - blue shades
    lemon thyme
    and fairy goodies:
    a flower press for Sarah Kate
    frog windchime - absolutely adorable
    pinwheel
    gnome rain gage - so cute
    fairy ornament - perfect
    blue stones
    and a garden sign that reads: "Sunlight fades, stars appear, garden fairies gather here!"
    WOW! Such an awesome box. We LOVE it all! I'm looking forward to "trying out" some plants I've never grown as well as adding some old favorites. We also loved seeing the snow pics and the pics of your children. Sarah Kate is preparing a "thank you" with some of the items we overlooked when packing your box. Have a great time with your goodies and I look forward to swapping with you again in the future.
    Nikki

• Related Discussions

NEW: mnf garden fae and friends

Q

Comments (150)
    i just wanted to also mention that friday Jared is finding out if he is cleared of his mrsa, so i am praying that the good LORD has cleared his whole body of that nasty stuff!! so he can finally hold his Anna marie!! i know i so worry so much about that stuff, but with antibiotics ya never know, and i have been reading on it, and ahhhhh***sighing*** i just worry. LOL i'm his sister/mommie, LOL ya know the whole half raised the little guy, LOL ok, 1 more day closer to my next niece, so hubs was looking on the net today and found daddy's girl by red sovine, LOL we do like his songs, there's a few of them that are really great!! :'>> ummmmm.....one of the dad's was a truck driver, LOL and hey becky it was nice to see you post again!! haven't seen you in ages!! :'"" i know ya been busy!! the kids's winter sowing prject i told ya about, OMGoodness!! its doing great!! more than half did great!! some cats got on my porch, uhhhh not my cats, and knocked some of them over, i'm NOT happy, they were in heat. seed starting in the bag, not good for me, kinda sucked, so i started it a different way. BUT cuttings in a bag, now that's a WHOLE different story!! that is SOOOO working for me!! the roots are even great!! i love it!! just fill the bag up with your breath and zip, if ya feel better, change it once a week or so, with your new breath, but it works great, but not with roses!! LOL Hugs Medo
    ...See More

UPDATE: mnf garden fae and friends

Q

Comments (5)
    i did, huby just picked up this morning!! awww guys!! lets see if i can do this any justice!!???!!! she sent us some Paladde In's ? it had turned to mush, but the bulb is VERY healthy!! **big smile** so it will be replanted green spice heuchera awesome i've never had one not grown in my own yard!! LOL country romance hollyhock way awesome !! i love hollyhocks midnight reiter heuchera cool looking little guy!! chocolate chip ajuga looks awesome!! mmmmm chocolate!! LOL and she sent hazelnut body showergel, smells good, i HAD to open it as i'm a fragrance person!! LOL for talla she sent a bag full of seeds **flower fairies friends** sugar daddy lip balm actually a lip balm!! LOL Zinnia scarlet queen ** sunflower chianti hybrid artichoke emerald tomatoe beefsteak four o'clocks kaleidoscope onions evergreen bunching poppy oriental brilliant red ** cornflower blue boy ** candytuft sempervirens white ** sweet pea little sweetheart mix ** nasturtium tall mix ** kinda fits talla LOL zinnia profusion orange forget-me-not blue bird ** canterbury bells cup and saucer mix ** sweet italian basil how cool is that?? the plan is that?? talla was so excited to see her name on the box and was so excited to see all the stuff. thank you so much!!! you made a little fairy very happy!!! although now, she know's that she's on her way to being a fairy, the fairy watcher's are making sure she's being good and reporting back to the main fairy person, ummm i haven't said or know who that one is yet!!! this mommy don't know ALLLLLLL yet!!! LOL
    ...See More

update: mnf july swap: letting freedom ring (part 2, 2nd try)

Q

Comments (1)
    IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...IGNORE THIS THREAD...
    ...See More

update: new: mnf 'garden junk' part 2

Q

Comments (2)
    Woops! Now my age is showing. I wrote in the above post that I have introduced myself at the General Talk forum entitled "Let me introduce myself". WELL this SITE has no Such Thing HA HA!!! My mind is so sharp, That was posted on another garden site I joined. I am glad you all like to laugh. Here is a copy of that post: Let me introduce myself I retired after having 3 mild strokes 6 yrs ago. Sold my home and most furniture, etc. After a 3 year struggle to recover I moved into my Motor Home and hit the road. I enjoyed the life style of traveling for 3 years but alas gas prices put an end to that. So Jan. I sold the Motor Home and now live in a 2 bedrm. 2 bathrm. basement apartment at my youngest childs. She, her husband bought the house in Feb. this year. We all moved in April. When we moved in I owned 6 SMALL plants I had carried around the county. 3 are herbs for cooking, 1 is an aloevera, 2 are catus. My daughter moved from Glendale, AZ. bringing no plants. She and her husband had both grown up in Knoxville, TN and always loved it. So they decided to put down their roots back there after graduating from college. I have all the yard responsibility while they have the house. Great deal on my part. We all started out in the new home with very few plants both in and outdoors. Now this yard has been neglected for years. There is very little grass, mostly wild violets. Over 30 trees mostly Chestnut and Walnut. 8 Dogwood in the front yard. Hundreds of 7 to 10' honeysuckle bushes to be removed. Loads of 1 variety of green hosta. This year I am working mostly on the hardscape. So much to do it is overwhelming. Paths to make, to help with bad drainage. Sink holes to fill. Hard packed soil where old cars use to park in the yard. Front yard slants to house so it must be regraded. Fences to put up. Old over grown foundation plants the look like trees than shrubs. They have more broken limbs than healthy ones. 4 trees that lean over top of the house rubbing the shingles. ON and on. Lots to do. Little to no money to do it with. I just had to get 2 nice raised beds started and some shrubs [to scratch my itch and get things growing]. O, I must say the whole yard is shade to part shade. I lied, a strip 5' wide next to the driveway is sunny until 4:00. As far as house plants I Love them. This house has a 12' X 26' glassed in Sun Room. We have not even got to do anything with that room yet. It is on the December list of to-do's. My daughter has some health issues and can not stay on her feet much so she is going to be our houseplant gardner. I do love being retired but sure do miss the $$$. Now I find I have lots of time for gardening but straped for money. A compost pile was begun the 2nd week after moving in. So that the crust of my Garden side of life. Retired, GrandMother, Widow, Garden Fanatic; Lovebnretired
    ...See More
  • medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

awww that is such a cute box!! :')) i bet ya'lls kids are just happy!! :')) new friends are always neat even if they are far apart, sometimes they can be some of your closest, they don't judge you so harshly!! :')) and that, my dears is the very best!! :')) well one of them!! **big grinn** i don't know whats worse, the heat or the humidity?? any idea's or opinions??? the heat, but that humididty just weighs you down!!

• veeja11
    15 years ago

Flwers box will go out soon, sorry to be late. dug plants today. hugs carol

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Dan ~ your box went out on Friday. DC# 0308 0070 0000 9010 6635

I hope you enjoy the gnome goodies! hehe

Hugs everyone!
    ~Wendy / sassybutterfly_2008

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hope everyone's weekend was great!!! seems the hubs like's gnomes, hmmmm he just might get into some kinda gardening afterall!! LOL now how cool is that i ask you?? little by little i will get that man of mine into it!! LOL major hugs Medo

• diene
    15 years ago

Good Evening;
    I thought I would check in, had a busy day. We launched the boat today and did not make it a quarter mile down river before the alarm went off. The engine was overheating. Back to the dock and now we needed to let it cool. Turned out the mechanic replaced the water pump but neglected to replace the antifreeze. Thank God it was an easy fix.
    But while the boat cooled, we came back to the house and built my new raised bed. It still needs alot of work before I can plant but at least the frame exists.
    When we returned to the boat and put antifreeze in, it ran like a charm. We traveled out to the mouth of the river and felt the ocean breeze, it was cold. We came back to dock and it was now 7:00 pm. Long day.
    My irises have started to bloom. I will post some pictures on the picture thread. Hope everyone is well. diene

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

my yellow irisis bloomed. they were pretty, til talla took all the leaves off and used them. she loves to do that and give them to the fairies in her fairy garden, LOL
    here's to a great week everybody!!! great big hugs ((hugs)) Medo

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

I got Dan's box today :)
    and Dan.. whoever mailed this for you, they didn't do priority! :P It says parcel post on it. So the plants are very iffy but we'll see..lol

Dannyboy sent me:
    Very cute flowered birdhouse w/ a dragonfly (LOVE this!)
    Unfinished wooden birdhouse (will be fun for my daughter to paint!)
    Smiley stickers
    A China fairy .. very cute!
    a gorgeous windchime
    Garden Plaque
    A baggie of 'Silver Mound' and 'Viola Columbine'* I think this made it the best of the plants, it's only slightly slimey..LOL
    A baggie of 'Cherry Tree for bonsai' woohoo!
    A baggie titled 'I don't know what this is...' LOL you nut! It looks like it has purple buds on it.. I dunno we'll plant it and see..lol
    And the last baggie that had the 2 annual plants in plastic planters, they're a big blob of slime, and I didn't see a name anywhere so not sure what they were before the post office did them in! *wink

I'll try to get what I can planted out today and we'll see if they'll recover and grow :)

Thanks Dan! lol
    ~Wendy / sassybutterfly_2008

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

Wendy, those were supposed to be snapdragons, GRRRRR!!! That just ticks me off!!! Let me know what doesn't grow so I can re-send. There's more here in my garden of them all!

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Dan ~ It's really not a big deal hon. I'm the queen of picking up iffy plants at Walmart and the marked down ones at Lowe's and nursing them back to health. :) I'm sure I can bring everything back to being bright 'n happy! Except the Snapdragons..lol But I have some seedlings growing now so I'll have plenty before long anyways. No worries!

I just hope the box I sent you arrives timely! It was sent priority so *fingers crossed! lol

*Hugs Dan and hands him a big talllllllll Mint Julep :)

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

Okay, now let me tell everyone what I received today from Wendy. I'm having to fend off the cats while I do this, so it may take me a while. They love investigating boxes, lol!

Where to start?

I'm planting more of a gnome garden than a fairy garden, which I told Wendy when we were talking about what we were doing in our gardens.

Wendy sent...
    1 Fairy Ornament (she looks like one of the princesses Rhyme and Reason from The Phantom Tollbooth, NICE!)
    4 Gnomes (one of which is a bobble-head, and looks like he might be drunk. too funny!!!)
    BUBBLE WRAP!!! (Bump keeps dragging this off to play with)
    1 You-Paint-It Fairy Value Pack, Skill level 4+ (I think the fairies are gonna go goth, love that frog prince!!!)
    2 small clay pots (perfect size for the gnomes)
    1 small clay pot candle (gonna use that one on top of my clay lighthouse in the rock garden)
    1 Trowel (been needing one of those)
    Bag of Blue Crystal Accent Stones (will use those on my gnome castle stump)
    SEEDS-
    Double Dwarf Sweet William
    Dwarf Dahlias
    Enchantment Mix of Convulvus
    Rose Queen Cleome
    Foxglove
    Giant Stock
    PLANTS-
    English Ivy (gonna train that to grow on the stump castle)
    Moss Rose
    Fairy Tale Pink Daylily (I'm enclosing the front end of my lot in lillies, perfect!)
    Goldilocks Creeping Jenny

And now, you all know what I'll be doing this afternoon!

THANKS WENDY !!!!!

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL dang P.O. LOL i'm so lcky with mine!! i don't like the big one's they're always so busy!! so when we moved out here i was so glad cuz i didn't have to repeat myself, uhhhh its a mom thing for sure, did you make sure that was priority?? when i'm all done, are you sure thats priority, and oh ya here's my thingi so i can make sure ma can see when she's gonna get it!!! LOL and follow it!! LOL and of course laugh, and they look at me cuz i'm just retarded. i tell them it is a momy thing. LOL now i dont have to do that. these girlies are just awesome!! they mark it right away. no playing around here they mark it as we are blabbing. hope ya all have a great day and here's a recipe a friend told me about to keep the deer away. Cool! I just planted my corn, squash and pumpkins today, finally warm enough to. :)
    Also found a cheap way to keep deer away, I use one egg, a clove of garlic chopped up and a little milk, then mix with a half gallon of water and dribble it on my plants. The deer are leaving them alone! It's so great! I actually see them growing! :D Yipee!!

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

I saw that bobble-head gnome Dan and I just thought it was SOOOOO you! hehe

Glad you enjoyed it!

~Wendy

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

Nothing like a few beers while planting the corn! The rows may not be straight, but the stalks'll still grow!

And get this! I've been trying to find something "human" for Jason to eat as a treat since last September, and haven't had any luck. I fixed baked chicken for dinner, and also baked some vegetables in another pan. I just finished my dinner, and there was some juice left on the plate from the vegetables. Now for the weird part. Jason turns up his nose at meats I've tried giving him, but he just went nuts when he found the vegetable juice! Guess who's a vegetarian??? GO FIGURE!!!

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

WHOOOHOOO Jason on being a Vego! (trust me I LOVE COW!!!)

I have CORRRNNN!!!! I found them yesterday! The tassells just started showing and I haven't been paying them much attention so I was thrilled to know that I am going to get to harvest corn this year!!! (thats if the squirrels don't get them first, time for my paint ball gun eh?!) I also have several kettle and birdhouse gourds getting good size and have been picking cukes for the past couple of weeks! I have some going to dills tomorrow.

Its SUMMERTIME YAYYYY!!! I have been enjoying our new pool even though I have to wear ear plugs for now (those things suck!). Going to have a second MRI done Thursday, sheesh means I won't find anything out til next week. Oh well, cept for the dizzy spells I feel great finally!

Today I have been digging plants to move to the front gardens. OHHHH I also have tons of cherry toms and some Great Whites (going to sell cukes, squash, and toms on the side of Clay Rd this weekend so ya'll stop on by!!!)

Dan and Wendy those are great boxes for both of ya'll! Laughin at the Bobble Head Gnome!!! The bubble wrap cracks me up because Rebs loves it but Mud hates the stuff! (but then Rebs can pop it with his paws he's so heavy!)

Ya'll have a great day.

(Annie your box is flying tomorrow, the thing I was waiting on still hasn't arrived so I am going to ship it to you when it gets here, separately.)

Smiles,
    Pixie

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey pixie!! bout time ya pop in!! LOL uhhh been missin ya!! mrs host!! LOL ya know i'm just giving you a total hard time, uhhh the kids been giving me one so now ii have to pass it on!! LOL **HUGE smile** i can't wait till you do get all better!!

ok ya know how they say that lighting striking people and them dying is just a myth and all that, well so far 3 people have died this year. 3 people. so do becareful guys and gals!!! this is no longer a myth in my humble opinion.!! everyone around us got nailed BIG time with baseball size hail and really bad winds and such, we just got the rains. ohhhh i'm so thankful. it must be that fairy talla. we did lose electricity for 5 min and she freaked. but other than that its alright. well she's in training!! the huge skeeters, are fairy watchers, and we have alot of them, so i told her that they are watching her to make sure that she's being good! so she can be a fairy when she gets good enough!! smart ehhh!! LOL

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

OK I have to admit to being a Blonde with "Brunette" moments.... instead of "Annie's box flyin" its Diene's box thats flyin tomorrow. Sheesh sorry bout that.

Michelle, lmao sheesh don't tell Talla that cause then she won't ever come to visit me cause I promise this is "skeeter" capital of the USA!!! Not much lightening though, well actually not much of anything except blue skies and lots of sunshine and skeeters here! IF ANYONE HAS A REMEDY TO MAKE MOSQUITOS LEAVE PLEASE LET ME KNOW >> I am just short of buying out all the "OFF" factories!!!! I do have citronella candles and oil lamps but to no avail!

Niters,
    Pixie

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

i use mint oil w olive oil and shake it up and spray it on, it keeps the bugs off. ohhhh man they hate it!! believe me, they are talla proof!!! and the skeeters LOVE talla!! they will go to her before the rest of us. she has the stuff they like!!
    here's what i have so far!!
    Easy natural and chemical free ways to keep mosquitos away.

Copyright 2003 Deborah Taylor-Hough
    Used with permission. All rights reserved.

One of the best ways to keep mosquitos from getting the bite on you is to avoid being the main attraction at your local mosquito theme park in the first place. Understanding a bit about mosquito behavior can help avoid calling unecessary attention to yourself.

Mosquitos identify their targets by sight, heat and smell. Avoid physically active movement (exercise, ball games, yard work, etc.) during peak mosquito hours to keep them from noticing you from a distance.

Peak mosquito times tend to be right around dusk and dawn. Reduce outside lights in the evening hours (use yellow bulbs, if possible).

Wear light colors during the daytime -- dark clothing during daylight hours actually attracts the little buggers. According to one report, mosquitos prefer blue and green so you're better off wearing yellows, reds and oranges.

Mosquitos are attracted to perspiration, heat, carbon dioxide, and lactic acid. All of these are produced after exercising, so avoid outdoor exercise during peak mosquito hours (at dawn and dusk). Our bodies also release lactic acid after eating bananas (or other potassium-rich foods) and salty foods.

Avoid perfumes when outside. Using hand creams and lotions with a sweet scent can also increase your risk of attracting mosquitos, so go for the unscented varieties during mosquito season. Try using unscented soaps when showering, too. Even though they're rinsed off, the scent remains on your skin and attracts bugs.

Keeping a barrier between yourself and mosquitos is a simple and natural way to avoid bites. Wear long sleeves and long pants when outdoors at dusk, or in areas with an especially high concentration of mosquitos (woods, swamps, hiking trails). And use screens in all your home's doors and windows during summer months.

Several gardeners assured me that planting marigolds, scented geraniums (rub the leaves on your skin too), rosemary, catnip, peppermint, spearmint, daisies, verbena, spike lavender (not the sweet French variety), basil, thyme, garlic, allspice, cedar, and lemon grass around the yard naturally repels insects. Eucalyptus is also rumored to be helpful.

Make your own insect-repelling sachets; dry the flowers and leaves from the above plants and place them into small, hand-sewn cotton bags.

Eliminate Their Breeding Grounds

The first step in avoiding the bite is to eliminate the local mosquito population at its source. Mosquitos use stagnant water for their breeding grounds, so drain any collections of stagnant water found in your yard, neighborhood or workplace.

Also keep your eye out for these sources of standing water: Discarded tires, roof gutters clogged with leaves or other debris, rain barrels, wading pools, drainage ditches, paint buckets, tin cans, paper cups or other discarded trash, trash containers, infrequently used yard equipment, plant containers, bird baths, broken toys, pet water bowls, and holes in tree stumps.

If your kids want to play in their wading pool, be sure to dump the water out at least once a week and turn the pool upside down when not in use so rain doesn't collect in it. And if you want to keep your birdbath and pet's uioutdoor watering bowl, be sure to clean out the water at least two times each week. If you have an outdoor fish pond with goldfish or amphibians, the mosquito larva will be eaten by the fish so you won't need to drain the fish pond.
    i have been growing lemon bee balm just cuz of them skeeters and lemon grass. i'm gonna plant it all around the pool area. you may just have the kind of blood they like! LOL poor pixie!! :'(( p.s. the olive oil we use cuz its so good for your skin. the mint flavoring stuff, you can also use that but you have to use alcohol to infuse it somehow. but if your out in the sun, just mix it in with your suntan lotion!! i think it was like 1t so i did that then some, LOL cuz of the talla factor, as i call it. she's like me, so if it can happen it will happen!! **big huge grinn** many hugs!!! Medo

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

To make HOMeR

* sustainable: made entirely from locally available renewable resources
    * empowering: processed entirely by the end-user as needed
    * eco-friendly: won't boil the planet or blow a hole in
    the sky.

Chop up the cores of five or six stalks of lemon grass and put them in a blender with a tumblerful of spirits, blend thoroughly. Can be further diluted by adding up to half as much water.

We used whatever booze we could find in the booze cupboard (we hardly drink at all, but people keep giving it to us), and strained it into a sprayer. The extremely cheap Chinese brandy went first, the Absolut Swedish vodka worked even better and we didn't smell quite as much like winos, and then we used London Dry Gin. When we get round to distilling fuel ethanol, we'll use that.

The only problem is that it goes stale after about a week and loses effectiveness -- does anyone know why, or how to prevent it going stale?
    Also in India, researchers have found that peppermint oil could be a new, cheap weapon in the fight against mosquito-borne diseases such as malaria, filariasis, dengue fever and West Nile virus. The oil not only repels adult mosquitoes but also kills the larvae. It was particularly effective against the Anopheles culicifacies mosquito, which is responsible for around three-quarters of malaria transmissions in the northern plains of India. -- BBC News,

Researchers report that nepetalactone, the essential oil in catnip that gives the plant its characteristic odor, is about ten times more effective at repelling mosquitoes than DEET -- the compound used in most commercial insect repellents... A patent application for the use of catnip compounds as insect repellents was submitted last year by the Iowa State University Research Foundation. Funding for the research was from the Iowa Agriculture Experiment Station

here's what else i found:
    Q. What are some natural ways to repel mosquitoes?

A. It's not for everyone but as an avid hiker i swear by rubbing a garlic clove pinched to get the juiceflowing all over exposed skin. this is better, and cheaper than dangerous deet products. also avoid perfumed soaps, cosmetics, hair goop or anything that smells even like deodorant

A. I have been making a tea out of herbs from my herb garden of cat mint and rosemary and it is working for me! I just cut the leaves and stems up in a cup and pour in a cup of boiling water and let it steep for an hour or so, then keep it in spray bottle in the fridge. Also, tea tree oil works.

A. When we lived in Malaysia, the locals swore that eating lots of bananas provided the best protection against mosquitoes. The only rider was that they had to be the small bananas (lady fingers, we called them). Don't know how you feel about bananas, but it seemed to work for us :) Cheers - Hush

A. I like these two: Rub citronella oil on exposed areas or burn citronella candles.
    Tansy or basil planted near a door will repel mosquitoes

A. We have plenty here too. We apply Avon Skin so Soft liberally before going outside. It really works, it's a little oily but washes off with soap when we come back in and shower. I have read where rubbing a Bounce (fabric softener) sheet on arms, legs and face deters them. Golfers hang a sheet from their belts, but I haven't tried this. Hope this info. helps you, God Bless you and yours. - Shirley

A. I, also, live in the Blue Ridge Mountains and mosquitoes can be a problem here. First I don't wear perfume of any kind: shower gel, deodorant, shampoos all without perfumes. No attractants. Next, when I know I'll be outside I take garlic supplements or eat foods with garlic. An excellent repellent. Also, I use Skin So Soft Original Scent products. I have, also, used pennyroyal and mint crushed and wrapped in a bandana wore around my neck. Don't forget the pets. They can be wiped down with Skin So Soft and wear an herbal necklace, too. Lastly, if bitten I never scratch the biten area but I will slap it to bring blood and antihistamines to the area.

A. Bob, a fisherman, takes one vitamin B-1 tablet a day April through October . He said it works. He was right. The odor the tablet gives out through your skin (YOU can not smell it) repels mosquitos, black flies, no seeum's, and gnats. It does not work on stinging insects. Hasn't had a mosquito bite in 33 years. Try it. Every one he has talked into trying it works on them. Vitamin B-1( Thiamine Hydrochloride 100 mg.) Kenn said NPR reports that if you eat bananas, the mosquitoes like you, something about the banana oil as your body processes it. (Maybe they need the potassium too- lol) Stop eating bananas for the summer and the mosquitoes will be much less interested.

This is going to floor you, but one of the best insect repellents someone found (who is in the woods every day), is Vick's Vaporub.

Plant marigolds around the yard, the flowers give off a smell that bugs do not like, so plant some in that garden also to help ward off bugs without using insecticides. "Tough guy" Marines who spend a great deal of time "camping out" say that the very best mosquito repellant you can use is Avon Skin-So-Soft bath oil mixed about half and half with alcohol. mix your own: 20 drops Eucalyptus oil 20 drops Cedarwood oil 10 drops Tea Tree oil 10 drops Geranium oil 2 oz. carrier oil ( such as Jojoba ) Mix together in a 4 oz. container. Apply to skin as needed avoiding the eye area. Keep out of reach of children. Test on a small area of skin for sensitivities . Experiment with different percentages of essential oil One of the best natural insect repellants that I've discovered is made from the clear real vanilla (not the grocery store vanilla extract which is mostly alcohol). This is the pure vanilla that is sold in Mexico. It's cheap there if you know of someone that lives there or in the US close to the border. If not, health food stores usually carry it or can order it for you. I use it half vanilla and half water and find that it works great for mosquitoes and ticks, don't know about other insects. when all else fails--get a frog - JoAnne

A. grow rosemary in your backyard. Mosquitoes hate it and you can use it for cooking all year round.
    now i think i might be done!!! LOL

and yet some people use dryer sheets, rub them over you and the bugs hate the smell.

Natural Repellents

These natural products will effectively repel mosquitoes, but they require more frequent reapplication (at least every 2 hours) and higher concentrations than DEET. Because of the differences between types of mosquitoes, products that contain multiple repellents tend to be more effective than those containing a single ingredient. As you can see, natural repellents tend to be volatile plant oils.

* Citronella Oil
    * Lemon Eucalyptus Oil
    * Cinnamon Oil
    * Castor Oil
    * Rosemary Oil
    * Lemongrass Oil
    * Cedar Oil
    * Peppermint Oil
    * Clove Oil
    * Geranium Oil
    * Possibly Oils from Verbena, Pennyroyal, Lavender, Pine, Cajeput, Basil, Thyme, Allspice, Soybean, and Garlic

Another plant-derived substance, pyrethrum, is an insecticide. Pyrethrum comes from the flowers of the daisy Chrysanthemum cinerariifolium.

Things that Lower Repellent Effectiveness

* Many Sunscreens
    * Dilution from Rain, Perspiration, or Swimming
    * Absorption into the Skin
    * Evaporation from Wind or High Temperatures

Keep in mind that 'natural' does not automatically imply 'safe'. Many people are sensitive to plant oils. Some natural insect repellents are actually toxic. Therefore, although natural repellents provide an alternative to synthetic chemicals, please remember to follow the manufacturer's instructions when using these products.

ok now this is all i have!! LOL that is all i could dig up!! that is useful anyhow. HEE HEE :')) hope that helps ya out some pixie!! Hugs Medo

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

Michelle, YOU ARE SUCH A SWEETHEART!!!! JUST KNOW THAT OK??? YOU ARE SUCH A SPECIAL PERSON AND ALWAYS BRING A HUGE SMILE TO MY FACE JUST THINKING ABOUT HOW GIVING AND CARING YOU ARE. (IF IT SEEMS LIKE I AM BEING LOUD WELL... I AM BECAUSE I WANT EVERYONE TO KNOW THAT I THINK YOU ARE SUCH A WONDERFUL PERSON!!!) I THINK YOU ARE AN ANGEL (with a impish Halo sometimes but hey you are AWESOME!!!!)

Love ya girlie girl and Thank You for all the research you put into my "skeeter" problem!!!

Pixie

• diene
    15 years ago

Hello Medo;
    Pyrethrum is very toxic, do not use it for a mosquito repellent!! I am not sure about alot of the other stuff but I know that is a bad one. The last thing you want is to make someone sick so they do not get a mosquito bite.

My off the cuff recommendation is to stick with the stuff you eat like Cinnamon, Vanilla, Castor, Rosemary or Clove. I am starting my vegetable garden this morning and there are plenty of buggers where that is so I am going to try the tea thing. I will let you know.

Thanks for all the info. Hello Pixie, how are you? You must be busy as you have not been around for a bit.

Need to get going now. My parents are flying in this evening and I need to pick them up so I may not be back until late tonight. Enjoy the spring all.
    diene
    diene

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Pixie ~ Here's yet another 'homemade recipe' for skeeter repellent:

Pull leaves from the plants lemon catnip and lavender, take some and let them dry and then blender them into powder. Add mineral oil (as a base.. doesn't go rancid) Let it sit 2 wks before use. Shake well and apply like any type of lotion. It is a bit oily but those bloodsuckers don't come anywhere near you AND it lasts all day long, even if you get wet! This recipe takes awhile to make including the sitting time, but it REALLY works!

Well, that's our cheap homemade version :)

Hugs!
    Wendy / sassybutterfly_2008

• diene
    15 years ago

Hello Wendy;
    The only problem with your recipe is that mineral oil is soooo bad for your skin. It suffocates it which can cause problems. Is there anything else you could use? Maybe the olive oil would work as well.
    I am going to try the catmint and rosemary tea, that sounds like my favorite.
    diene

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

Thanks Ladies for all the help on the mosquito problem I have. I think I like the catmint and rosemary but I LOVE the lemon balm! I am hoping for all my dragon flies to appear, that helps alot. BTW I haven't forgotten the tea infusers, I have been running behind on everything lately.

Diene your box went and as soon as the other thing gets here I will send it along with some other stuff that I forgot to put in your box. (SHEESH don't know if its catching but I think I am losing it!!!) The DC# is
    0103 8555 7494 8842 3541 the mail lady just picked it up.

Smiles,
    Pixie

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

yes olive oil is good, if you could use vitamin e that would be great! its great for your skin too. keeps ya young looking!! ummm couldnt tell me that though!! LOL Hugs Medo

• veeja11
    15 years ago

Pixie, sorry you are being eaten, it is because you are so sweet. dh says put a sprig of tansy behind your ear, or avon skin so soft works great. dh hates skeeters, won't go near water in skeeter season, have fox rub skin so soft all over your body. hugs to fox. Flwers I am over worked this month and think I sent you the wrong box, so hope you enjoy the christmas card. try to get your fairy things off friday. sorry enjoy your christmas box. hugs carol

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL poor carol!! you should take some b vitamins!!! they'll make ya feel better! that's what i do sometimes when i get down. then i get all better. but i have to remember to KEEP taking them. LOL :')) many hugs!! Medo

• diene
    15 years ago

Good Afternoon everyone;
    I arrived home today and there was a big box on my front porch. I almost pulled my arm out trying to lift it. When I first opened it I was a bit perplexed. Pixie had sent me a rock. Now I was thinking, 'does she not understand that the hardest part of my gardening is digging up the rocks in my yard?' But...

How cool is this? I am amazed as I can only assume she did it herself and since I have no talent, people with talent stun me.
    Thank you my friend, I will treasure it for life. Should it be covered with varnish or poly or will it survive in my hostile climate without? Please let me know.
    But not only was this neat rock in the BIG BOX but so were a half dozen daylilies including one with varigated leaves. I do not have a single one like that yet so I am thrilled. There were also equally as many cannas which I love but have a hard time growing here because our weather is so hostile. These should do well now but would not have started growing yet here.
    Finally there was a small leaf hosta which I have very few of. I think I received some last year in a trade from this group but those are the only ones I have.

Here is the stash.
    You really outdid yourself. Thanks
    diene

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ohhh my goodness!! that looks so cute!! i can't wait to see where you put it!! i bet you won't "just" pick that baby up!! LOL i'd definately coat it!! especially up that way! those flowers are gonna be pretty!! :')) great job pixie!! Hugs Medo
    diene, did you see the thing on the cats i posted in the hummingbirds mnf?? i thought it was interesting, i don't know if it'd hurt the cats, its home remedie. i think i've actually heard of it before.

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Diene, that is a wonderful box that you received from Pixie. She is amazing and always sends from the heart. I just love that girl!

Tracy

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

OHHH Diene, I am sooo happy you liked the rock, I rushed it though. For here I don't coat it but we don't have the weather like you do, didn't think about that. Hon, the "varigated" Daylily is actually a "varigaged spider plant". The hosta, well I promis ya that Tracy can tell you the name of it lol. You still have the rest of the box coming though but I am happy you like everything.

Thank you Diene for being so sweet.

Smiles,
    Pixie

• diene
    15 years ago

Hello Pixie;
    There cannot be anymore to the "box" as it was way too big anyway. I use the small flat rate boxes, did not even know the big ones existed until your package arrived.
    I feel like a dope thinking the spider was a daylily, did not realize how similar their root structure was until now. Well thanks for clueing me in before I actually put it in my garden. DUH!
    Medo I did see your home remedies but my cat does not get hairballs as DH gives her a monthly bath. After fourteen years you would think she would get used to it but she still acts up when it is bath time. This time I swear she cried "NO" before we put her in the sink. It is quite comical. I did wonder if petroleum jelly was actually okay for an animal but I am no vet.
    Hello Tracy- yes, Pixie is special.
    Have a great night everyone.
    diene

• veeja11
    15 years ago

I received a box full of plants from my partner flowers seedlings all packed in cute plastic pop bottles delphinium, lavendar obedient plant, blackberry lilly, snow in summer, adenium dance of the butterfly, peacock orchid, a calla I may have to pass on to pixie as They don't seem hardy here, I sent her a christmas box by mistake and owe her more plants, but hope she likes her christmas box. thankyou for all my plants flwers, I love them. hugs carol

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

WOW that sounds like a wonderful box Carol!! Great job Flowers!

Well today was a very special day for me. My DAD is here visiting. He and his new/old flame got here about 1.5 and of course fox and Alan were both working but they visited with me (after all they really came to see me eh??? lol). Well after Alan and fox got home we all joined up to go eat at Joes Crab Shack, had a great time, they are stayin about 5 mins away at a hotel and we are all going to meet for breakfast. After Fox, Alan and I got home Alan left to go do what 19 yr olds do, fox layed in the recliner and I went ummm swimming (had to burn those crab legs off some how lmao yeah right!).

I have some canna's blooming, ONE is my "Rosemond Cole" its a dwarf but very pretty. Yellow with red/orange speckles on a low growing varigated foilage (sp).

Carol.... Fox told me to pass on a huge hug to you and says your the nicest person around. I could have told him that but oh well.

I hope everyone has a great Sunday.

Smiles,
    Pixie

• diene
    15 years ago

Good Afternoon;
    I just finished planting everything Pixie sent and I now know she sent some daylilies she had purchased which was above and beyond. I was able to split all the clumps she sent and plant in two different locations. One in the front yard and one out back. I put the Canna's in the front garden that everyone checks out when they walk by. I am very excited about them as I love them but they are not hardy here and I have not been able to keep them over the winter.
    Thanks again Pixie, they are wonderful.
    I will post a picture when I figure out where my rock is going. It is very warm here today so I am hoping to go to the boat but it is afternoon already so who knows.
    diene

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

Carol, I have been worried that box took forever to get to you, were the plants still ok ? BTW did I send you Lupine ? I had meant to send them since they were on your want list ?

I did receive the christmas box...I feel bad that you were sending to someone else, are you sure you dont want me to pass it on to the intended person ?

Also, what did you think of the little Fairy poems on the seeds ? I was hoping you would post one or two, I had meant to, and forgot to write them down.

Thanks so much Carol for being my partner this month ! ( last month..LOL)

• veeja11
    15 years ago

Pixie, I feel the same way about you and Fox. flwers enjoy the box, did I at least have a daylily in it ? yep sorry I forgot the lupine I missed the poems but will find them and post a couple. did you get seeds ? can't remember what was in the box. thankyou again. I will get your second box off soon. sworry for the mistake, hugs tired carol

• emsgarden
    15 years ago

Hey all - just popping in to say hey. We are trudging on with our quest to get as much done as possible before next weekend. I finally finished my sunny bed this week. Its 6 x 6 and I stuck everything I could in there that loves sun. Eventually I will create other beds and move things around but one step at a time lol I also reupholstered the benches for the patio table that stays under the patio. I could not believe the price of outside fabrics! Unreal!! Luckily I found something that I really liked that was reduced and I got an additional 30% off because of a sale they were having. Gotta love a bargain and I hunt for them LOL We also painted the vanity and cabinets in the bathroom and replaced all the hardware. So things are really coming along. Now I just need to finish up some cleaning and then start cooking and I should be ready for Sunday! Can't wait to have all the family here and spend some time visiting.

April, everything you sent me is doing great so far. I am so hoping that mini rose makes it and blooms for me. I love roses and this is my very first rose bush ever!

Great boxes everyone!

Pixie - how was your visit with your dad?
    Michelle - hows the kiddies doing? All your ws babies doing good?
    *waving to Tracy* hey g/f
    Where's Melissa been? Havent seen her post in quite a while.

Ya'll have a great week! Hugs Em

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

Hi Carol...there wasnt a daylilly in the box..but there was a pulmonarium, and yes there were seeds..

sweet pea
    gyp
    white obedient plant
    sea holly
    datura
    shasta daisy

and there was a wind sock for the fourth of July, incence gift set, and a bath set.

thank you for the gifts, even if it was a mistake..LOL

Hugs,

Kym
    flwrs4ever

• veeja11
    15 years ago

Kym, I am taking my time with your second box to make sure I get it right. the gifts are ones I buy ahead and keep on hand for swap boxes, so you probably would have gotten those anyway, just meant to include more plants, hence I owe ya box #2 The pulmonia is really cool varigated leaves, stays green year around, has pretty raspberry colored fall blooms all over it, do you mind noid daylilies ? no orange ditch just ones I bought and misplaced the tag on, working on next box, will be soon sorry for the delay
    carol. hi Pixie and all, hugs to Fox

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

i did, huby just picked up this morning!!

awww guys!! lets see if i can do this any justice!!???!!!
    she sent us some
    Paladde In's ? it had turned to mush, but the bulb is VERY healthy!! **big smile** so it will be replanted

green spice heuchera awesome i've never had one not grown in my own yard!! LOL

country romance hollyhock way awesome !! i love hollyhocks

midnight reiter heuchera cool looking little guy!!

chocolate chip ajuga looks awesome!! mmmmm chocolate!! LOL

and she sent hazelnut body showergel, smells good, i HAD to open it as i'm a fragrance person!! LOL

for talla she sent
    a bag full of seeds
    **flower fairies friends**

sugar daddy lip balm actually a lip balm!! LOL

Zinnia scarlet queen **
    sunflower chianti hybrid
    artichoke emerald
    tomatoe beefsteak
    four o'clocks kaleidoscope
    onions evergreen bunching
    poppy oriental brilliant red **
    cornflower blue boy **
    candytuft sempervirens white **
    sweet pea little sweetheart mix **
    nasturtium tall mix ** kinda fits talla LOL
    zinnia profusion orange
    forget-me-not blue bird **
    canterbury bells cup and saucer mix **
    sweet italian basil
    {{gwi:1275279}}

{{gwi:1275280}}

{{gwi:1275281}}

{{gwi:1275282}}

a hand made door for talla's fairy's, and a little fairy statue. i just love it all!!
    how cool is that?? the plan is that?? talla was so excited to see her name on the box and was so excited to see all the stuff. thank you so much!!! you made a little fairy very happy!!! although now, she know's that she's on her way to being a fairy, the fairy watcher's are making sure she's being good and reporting back to the main fairy person, ummm i haven't said or know who that one is yet!!! this mommy don't know ALLLLLLL yet!!! LOL

thank you, thank you, thank you thank you!!! :'))

the kiddo's are doing great em! and my ws babes are just a growing like crazy!! i'm having to transplant them so much!! i swear my work is never done!! LOL but that's cuz i kept choosing the wrong size, once i finally got the right size, boom!! i was well on my way to being done with it all, now we just have to plant half of it ans sell the rest!! LOL Hugs medo :')) a very happy mommy!! who is sending off 3 boxes tomarrow. WHEW!!! LOL

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hey llbean your box went out this morning! finally :'))
    dc 03040370000087071305
    i hope everyone has a great day today!! :'))

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

Carol, I actually would LOVE daylilies...I only have two or three, and really wanted to get more...so that would be great !

Thanks for the pulmonaria..I am looking forward to watching it grow, and bloom.

This is only my second season with this garden, so not much going on YET...that is why I WS soo many seeds..so I can try and get some of the space filled.

Thanks again !

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

i have always wanted pulmonaria that looks so cool!! but i don't want to pay a fortune for it!! LOL of course here i can never find it, so i'd have to order it. makes me irritated. anyhow, we cleaned out the pool thing today and went to fill it but of course we have no level spot in our yard!! LOL
    hope ya'll have a great day!! its supposed to rain tonight!! LOL can't wait till its in the 70's only or 80's and no humidity :')) LOL or low humidity HEE HEE

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

good morning everyone!! what is everone up to today?? its raining here, so not much of anything today, definately don't want to tackle this housework!! but i know i should, i think i'll browse around for a bit, then see about some starting some chores. LOL we had some aweful storms here last night but thank goodness they all went north, but the tornadoes tore up alot of communities. i know one of these days its gonna come here. hope not till we move to a place w a basement. LOL the neighbors we can use has told me that she has tons of brown recluse in hers, and she see's them all over her house. ick!! the good news is that i told talla to stay away from ALLLLLLL spiders!! so that's good!! so how has everyone else faired with the flooding and tornadoes and storms?? gas??? hope well. Hugs medo

• diene
    15 years ago

Hello All;
    How is this swap doing or is it close to finished? How is Pixie doing? That is much more important.
    I am not sure what the problem is but you are in my thoughts and prayers my friend, let us know how it is going. diene

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

well i recieved and i sent to laura, so she should be recieving pretty soon. it just left topeka :')) i'm USUALLY the last to send, LOL ya know, i "just have to" close up!! LOL have to have that last word to!! LOL so don't burst my bubble and tell me i wasn't the last to send. LOL
    i know i've been so worried about pixie!! talla has too, of course she worries about all of her fairy friends. now she has a new one. laura, she's so happy about that!! :')) she's just so happy to know fairy's and fairy friends and everything!! LOL Many hugs Medo

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hi laura!! i see your box was delivered today!! how did your babies turn out?? did they make it ok?? i hope so!! did you like them?? Medo

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ok i got this off the winter sowing forum on the conversations side haven't tried it YET LOL but you can bet your bottom dollar i will be!! LOL hmm wonder if i can mix it with some stuff and spray it on talla if it will last for a few days, she will be minty fresh!! LOL
    New Use For Listerine

I was at a deck party awhile back, and the mosquitoes were having a ball biting everyone. A man at the party sprayed the lawn and deck floor with Listerine, and the little demons disappeared.

The next year I filled a 4-ounce spray bottle and used it around my seat whenever I saw mosquitoes. And voila! That worked as well. It worked at a picnic where we sprayed the area around the food table, the children's swing area, and the standing water nearby.

I tried this on my deck and around all of my doors. It works! In fact, it killed them instantly. I bought my bottle from Target and it cost me $1.89. It really doesn't take much, and it is a big bottle, too; so it is not as expensive to use as the can of spray you buy that doesn't last 30 minutes.

So, try this, please. It will last a couple of days. Don't spray directly on a wood door (like your front door), but spray around the frame. Spray around the window frames, and even inside the dog house. During the summer, I don't leave home without it.....

Pass it on.....all your friends will appreciate the information.
    Medo