SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
levsan_gw

maple in a pot and the rainy season??

levsan
12 years ago

hi everyone,

this is my first post, and have been browsing this forum the last few weeks as we just just purchased and moved in to our own apartment, in the hopes that I learn a thing or two about potted plants (admittedly new to the whole concept).

we recently bought a japanese maple -aka shidare momiji, which I assume it is called inaba shidare in the US. its been 3 weeks since I have repotted - twice!! which I now know I shouldn't have in summer (first repot had to be changed because of wrong advice on the soil so it was an emergency) and luckily the tree is now budding and looks healthy.

However, the last few days we have had a lot of rain at nights, and since we are in rainy season we will be getting more. I have noticed every morning a dozen or so small tiny mushrooms growing in the pot, and then dying during the day from the sun. I guess its a good indication for the quality of the soil, but just wondering if it might also bee too wet and damaging for the maple. the soil I am using now is a mixture recommended by the nursery and I would say it drains fairly well. and using terra-cotta I had to usually water every 2-3 days on hot sunny days. our balcony does see south sun, but up until these last few days I kept it under shade and cover to avoid any transplant shock. since I moved it out of cover and into the sun, it gets rained on.

should I be worried about rainy season when using pots?

I will try to attach some photos so you can see the maple and the mushroom. also, can anyone tell me by its height how old this maple might be?

the tree is about a meter high and the pot is 46cm in diameter and 38 cm tall if the dimension help..

here are some photos posted on the web (i hope this works..not sure how to post pics here..)

http://gallery.me.com/levend#100140&view=grid&bgcolor=black&sel=1

thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: photos of the momiji tree

Comments (5)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES