SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mctavish6

three Hosta Gardens - Garden 3

mctavish6
10 years ago

Garden 3 is My Garden

Faye and I live probably less than ½ mile apart on the same hill. Both of our acreages face west and look over Shuswap Lake. In spite of that there are a lot of differences in our gardening conditions. Her property is open and has fairly flat fields. They grow hay and graze donkeys. They have a huge lawn (ever shrinking). Their large trees are a Willow and Silver Cottonwood. Her soil is clay. Mine is more sloped with rocks and very large Cedar and Fir trees right up to the house on one side. There’s a huge Walnut on the other. Our soil is sandy which means daily watering in hot weather. My lawn is very tiny and also shrinking. Pretty soon I’ll be lucky if I can fit a chair on it.

My challenges are the same as many of you with slugs, voles, cut worm and tree roots. My gardening style is pretty much make it up as you go along and learn by your mistakes. I see it as a painting and am always moving things around. I have lived here for 23 years and started with a typical perennial garden- It was English cottage style with a picket fence and lots of flowers. As the trees grew and I began to appreciate foliage it changed to being more and more hostas. I fit them in between the surviving perennials and bushes. I never have enough room and tend to always plant too close together knowing I’ll have to ‘fix’ it someday. That’s ok with me since the gardens always look full which I prefer.

As the space has become an issue I really try to plant ‘up’. There are many levels to the garden and if two things get too crowed I lift one up higher with rocks, wood, whatever.
My biggest garden advantage beside automatic watering (essential) is probably the variety of places I can plant. They all have their own personality and most have a place to sit and enjoy them. The lawn, the driveway, the courtyard, the balcony, the woods the pool each is different but all have hostas. I'm am going to try to show picture of each. Most of the pictures are from this year with the exception of the Balcony and Pool. I'm still working there and haven't taken many.

This is the first year I have added very few plants. I’m trying to deal with what I have for now. As old age fast approaches I need to get this easier!

I have added a new rockery for mini’s and re-worked some older places. It is really a labor of love.

Hope you like the pictures,

Myrle

Comments (30)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting