SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
myersphcf

MYJM's that survived the winter of 2006 in zone 5

myersphcf
18 years ago

Here is my list as promissed that i also posted at Dave's garden since many of each don't cross over sites...In fact ALL of my Jm's survived last winter... but these are just the named cultivars All were 2-4+ years old most being 4+ and planted last summer and fall ( I firmly believe that larger, older plants with well established root systems have the best chance to survive this zone's winter conditions)... Most are in somewhat sheltered areas...all are planted out in the ground and heavily nulched with red cedar mulch only...NOT in pots ....some are VERY exposed...all thrived with but a couple with slight die back on a few top branches .....and that may have been from last summers heat/sun on newly planted cultivars ...not necessarily winter. We had little snow but a mild winter. Only about a week of single digit below zero nights( -5 to -10) and mid teen days ( aropund 15 for highs)...but that period was without snow cover which is significant since snow insulates from cold and is i believe beneficial in this area!! Most of feb was in the mid 20's days and mid teen nights. I had NO early budding on any of these varieties even during warmer winter spells ( early March) and most broke bud in early to mid april... a good sign for late frosts... Email me personally with any questions.... Please feel free to post your results the more actual zone info we have the better since there seems to be no agreement on zone survival...If you do post be as specific as possible on conditions placement of plants ...etc like I have.

atrolinair

red baron

orangeola

red dragon

berimma bridge

red emporeor

yubae

tamakuyama

fireglow

umegae

kasagiyama

beni otaki