SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
conajaa1

Curb appeal ideas for Front Entry?

Connie
11 years ago
We are first time homeowners who moved into this cottage just before summer. Up until now we focused on changes on the inside, but now we are thinking about the outside. FYI, the door is a storm door with black privacy film. Then there is a small enclosed porch which leads to the real entry door which has all the locks etc. which leads into the living room. The real entry door is just plain solid white wood. The small entry is not insulated and is cold. So there has to be a door between the foyer and the living room. Our main door could either stay where it is or be moved to where you step out onto the patio.

Eventually, finances permitting, we want to proceed with several DIY projects: paint this house a deep dark blue, with the white trim remaining. Maybe move the "real" entry door to where now the storm door is (or just buy a new security door). Next spring we also want to do a stone slate walkway DIY project leading to the street.

But meanwhile, how can I improve the curb appeal with landscaping? I am perfectly fine to pull out the cypress and the unknown bush/tree (?) that's to the left of the entry and replacing it with something else. I am hoping for something low maintenance and something that's not a tree, as this one huge tree next to the house already is about all I want to deal with....

The patio and everything to the left of it is mostly shaded during the days because of a huge tree to the left of the house. The right side from the concrete forward (to the right) gets perhaps 6 hrs of sun a day.

I am looking for low-budget ideas.
Thanks.

Comments (19)