SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elissakjohnson

Curb Appeal Question - Awning/Front Porch/Portico ideas needed

elissakjohnson
5 years ago
Our house was built in 1995 and the outside could use some updating. Inside the colors are neutral but furniture and decor is bright and cheery, the opposite of yellowed-beige trim and a burgundy front door and scalloped awning.

Our thought was to paint the trim a gray or white to start. However, we spoke with a contractor about ideas for the front porch and he encouraged us to do the trim and porch at once. (Side note - I’ve seen some brick homes be painted entirely white (brick and all) lately that are stunning, but I’d like to see if it’s a lasting trend first.)

Due to the way it’s situated around the brick, anything requiring shingles/flashing would need to be cut into the brick and be cost prohibitive. The contractor suggested an arbor style with corbels but I am not finding any examples of what this would look like. If we are adding something, I’d like it to blend in with the house style. I don’t love the idea of another awning, but this is really my only experience of how they can look and maybe they can be modernized.

A couple questions for anyone willing to help:
1. Have you seen any awnings that don’t scream commercial business or 1995 residential?
2. What downsides would there be to removing the awning all together? I could see occasionally some packages getting wet, and added heat/sunlight in the room (western exposure does already make the door hot to the touch in the summer afternoon.) The true question with this - would it look weird? I’m fairly certain the awning was added after original construction.
3. If not another awning or bare, what else could I do in terms of adding a porch covering?
4. Any suggestions of paint colors for the trim? Or the front door?

Thank you in advance for and advice you may have!!

Comments (5)