SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wifisker

Front entry needs a curb appeal makeover!

Jess TKA
9 years ago

Hello everyone.

I'm stumped on how to improve the curb appeal of our house and I really hope you can help with some landscape design ideas. There's a lot going on here so I'll try to explain.

- The previous owners planted a few small ornamental evergreen topiaries but our harsh winter weather has taken its toll on them. (Zone 4 in MN.) I will dig those out. The area against the garage wall just to the right of the front entry also has a single Dart's Gold ninebark in the center with a few pink coneflowers in front of that, several Walkers Low nepeta in an arch in front of those, and a couple yellow moonbeam coreopsis tucked in front. There's a little space here to do something else once the topiaries are gone. The ninebark is still short so the brown garage wall just looks... BLAH.

- The shrubs in front of the house under the windows are spirea. Those can stay or go. No preference.

- The front left corner of the house has a dwarf korean lilac in tree form. I'd like to move that somewhere else and put something larger there. Maybe a tall evergreen shrub?

- There's a smattering of oddly mixed perennials along the border of the paver sidewalk. I think I need to pull those out and come up with a plan that looks more attractive.

Please, please help?!

And here's a birdseye view so you can get an idea of the shape, though most of the perennials weren't in yet when this was taken:

Last, here's a terrible sketch of the layout that shows current placement of the ninebark, coneflowers, nepeta, and coreopsis. Topiaries not shown.

Comments (6)