SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robin1916

mixed mesages on soil amending

12 years ago

Greetings!

I have finally gone out to the nursery on Rea Road, talked to Nikki, the hosta expert lady (VERY knowledgeable!), and purchased a bunch of plants. She gave me great "design" advise. First my bed was just waaaaay too big and I needed to subdivide it even further. Second I misunderstood the spacing for planting and had planted my current hostas too far apart and they would never fill in. Drat, I simply HAVE to buy more hostas! I came home with enough plants to start planting in one of the new "subdivided" beds.

I am going to start planting the plants (hosta, heuchera, astlibe, and several fern) next week. This bed is under one of the dreaded sweet gum trees. I have been reading mixed messages on what to do.

Camp #1 says to dig a wide hole, amend the soil to give the new plant a running start, plant the plant, and water profusely.

Camp #2 says dig a hole, DON'T amend the soil, plant the plant and water profusely. Their reasoning behind not amending the soil is that it will make an area that the tree's roots will seek out and steal water from the new plant.

I just can't remember what I did several years ago, but I want to repeat it because the plants are doing great.

Which camp do I follow and why?

Robin

Comments (12)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals