SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mitanoff_gw

Complete and Utter Newbie

14 years ago

Hello:

I was given some lily bulbs last year (and this year) for my B-Day.

The bulbs I planted last year were large and beautiful. . .well. . only 3 flowers, the deer got the rest. This year, the flowers are smaller, the stems weaker.

Questions:

1. I live in Zone4, (-35C not uncommon). Am I supposed to dig up these bulbs and store in the basement or something?

2. From the research I did on the web, I thought the bulbs would get bigger and better every year (i.e. good flowers). This year, the lilies were not better at all. (NOTE: not planted in optimal sunlight, but they did ok last year). I haven't dug up the soil yet to check on the bulbs.It's a raised bed,with well drained soil so I doubt it rotted. There seemed to be lots of little tiny bulbs, but no flowers on the plants.

3. If I can leave them in the ground, when can I dig them up and replant? -- The bulbs were a complete surprise and I had to sacrifice a vegetable bed to plant them. Not sure where I'm going to put the lilies! Raised bed ok to overwinter?

3b. The bulbs that I planted this year were about 2/3 the size of a baseball and had scales coming off them. If I do dig them up and the scales are still there, should I break off the scales and plant those too?

If the type of lily is an issue, they're mostly Asiatic (Wizard, landini, bestfriends). Others are Asiatic Longiflorum cross (eyeliner) and a few pot lilies (I think these are all asiatic)

My searches on the net came up with differing information and I was getting confused. Hope at least one of you can help me out here. Although I have tons of room on my property, I can't dig down a foot. Too much builder's crap (broken bricks etc). I'm hoping you'll say a raised bed is ok to overwinter the bulbs and I can do a temporary bed in full sun in the back and just dump everything there. Maybe separate the tiny bulbs from the mature? If they have to be stored indoors, well. . .my garage is probably too cold and the basement too warm. ..kinda screwed.

Thanks for reading.

Comments (4)