SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cloudyskies_gw

complete newbie here--choosing between 3 houseplans

cloudyskies
10 years ago

We put our home up for sale never imagining it would sell in just 2 days! There's nothing on the market suitable for us to buy but we did find 12 acres that had everything we were looking for (high speed cable internet, no restrictions on horses & 4wheelers, barn)...except a house!

So we made a spur of the moment decision to build! We've never done this before and are clueless. At first we were going to go with Schumacher Homes but then a highly recommended builder had a client change their minds so he's available now to start building for us next month. Now we just need to decide on a plan and I would love some input on our current top 3...and just input in general :)

I homeschool our 4 kids, ages 7-14. Hubby works from home. Kids play violin and piano. We are outdoorsy, into gardening and horses and 4H market animals. I love pretty wooden staircases, porches, fireplaces and farmhouses (simple midwest-style, not cape cods or busy-looking victorians). I like lots of natural light and the ability to open windows & let breeze come through. My parents live out of state and visit a lot so our main level needs to be wheelchair friendly to make things accessible for my dad.

Must haves:
-4 bedrooms or 3 bedrooms + office
-would prefer to stay under 2000sf plus a finished basement (our lot will support doing a walkout but we're not sure we want to--there's plenty of flat area to build on as well)
-200k max budget that includes a detached 2-car garage (we're able to get major discounts on windows/ext doors, trim, cabinets, and metal roofing through family connections)
-Simple farmhouse style that suits our rural OH location

Possibility #1 "Family Jewel" from Archway Press http://www.archwaypress.com/house-plan-hyg-1764.html

The simplicity of this floor plan really appeals to me. To lower costs I wonder if the bumpouts/bays could be removed/straightened so it's just a simple L-shaped farmhouse? Possibly rearrange the kitchen to perhaps be a G-shape open to the dining room (no closets or hutch there). I like that every bathroom has a window and the laundry/mudroom is right off the back entrance (short walk to hang clothes out on the line--this would also be our "drop zone" entrance from the detached garage)

Possibility #2 "Field of Dreams" http://www.architecturalhouseplans.com/home_plans/37

I have read through all the garden web posts on this house and looked at all the beautiful pics. I'd move the screen porch to be off the dining room. I like the idea of the mudroom being down a few steps but my dad must have level access to the bathroom. Could that powder room be put somewhere else on the main level and then have a washer and dryer off the mudroom instead? Having that library/office on the main level is a big plus (can double as a guest room so my parents don't have to sleep in the living room).

Possibility #3 "The New Economy Home" http://www.neweconomyhome.com

I like the entryway/staircase and kitchen in this house and how affordable it sounds (150k?). I would probably add a wraparound porch. 3 1/2 baths seems excessive to me (I hate cleaning bathrooms) so perhaps we'd do away with the main level full bath (using the adaptable suite as an office)...but maybe I'll regret that decision when I'm older and don't want to do stairs? Or we could put the office upstairs and only have 1 full bath up there, using the adaptable suite as the master. And I'd prefer a main level laundry/mudroom off the back entrance. I can't figure out a good spot for a fireplace in this living room...seems like you have to use their suggested furniture arrangement to make the living room work.

Comments (22)