SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wmblewett

Complete Newbie, looking for reassurances

15 years ago

Hello, I recently graduated from college and so have likewise graduated from apartment living to having a house with a lawn. I've tried to read up on lawn care and talk to people with more experience than me on what to do but I get the feeling that I'm getting a bunch of different advice that sometimes seems more like urban legends. Basically what I'm looking for is affirmation that what I've been doing is proper and not actually causing more harm than good.

My front lawn was very "spotty" with patches of dead grass all over it, where it wasn't dead it appeared very thin and not as dark green as the rest of my neighborhood. To get rid of this I spent all last Saturday thatching it with a metal garden rake and pulled two lawn bags worth of dead grass/leaves/twigs from my small-ish front yard alone. That same day I went over it and did what I now think is called "over seeding" basically walked back and forth with a hand-spreader with a bluegrass mixture (I'm not sure what flavor my grass is now). I then watered it for about 30 minutes that day.

Since then I've gotten an electric sprinkler timer and set up a metal impulse sprinkler on the edge of my lawn where it can reach the most area without soaking my neighbors house. I have that currently set to go on at about 4:45am every morning for 30 minutes. I plan on lowering that to 20 minutes and switching it to every other day after I've had it going for a week, then finally after a week of that lowering it to only twice a week for 20 minutes.

I've also purchased a Scott's liquid fertilizer and weed control application that would be hand sprayed on the lawn which I had planned to apply sometime this week.

So what can you tell me? Am I on the right track or inadvertently harming my yard? An additional question I had is bagging vs. mulching, my city strongly encourages mulching but I think that's just because of the landfill space yard clippings take up. What is the objective view on bagging vs. not bagging?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES