SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redraif

Tiger lily bulblets w/ roots! refrigerate? plant? leave in bag?

redraif
13 years ago

So I'm new to gardening with no guidance accept for what I'm finding online. I have searched, but have gotten overwhelmed with the info and not quite getting the specifics I need to know.

We are just starting out with a new home and I'm trying to fix a paid for landscaping horror story. My aunt donated some plants before she moved away and I'm trying to create something respectable with them.

I got a few tiger lilies from her. They are all strong and very pretty. Seem to be decent bloomers. So I wanted to run with some of their seed-like things on the stems and see what becomes of them. They are free right?! I'm not selling, or crossing, just enjoying them for myself.

So we were leaving to go on vacation and I have been watching my tigers so I could catch them when they were ready. I also noticed the tiger lily stem bulblets were ready. They bumped off easily and I was afraid if I waited, the crazy rain we have been having, would leave me with no seeds to grow, so I tossed them in a bag with wet cotton balls and placed them on top of the fridge before we left. I read you could do this if you had no peat available. I also had no info as to if I was to close the bag or not, so I left it open, so they could get oxygen.

So to Fl we went for the long weekend. I came home and got some peat moss to switch over too and low and behold I had roots. I was amazed at how fast it happened. I was not even sure if they needed to be refrigerated first or pre treated with something. Now I don't know what I'm supposed to do. Do they need to go in the fridge? Or was that a trick to break dormancy. I guess mine are not dormant. They are all rooting.

I live in GA so I still have a bit of time before the weather gets cold. Do the seeds need to be indoors for now to establish good roots and then go outside? Or do they go out now? Or do they just need to stay in all winter to be sure they can make it in the spring? I'm not sure what to do with so much information I have found here and online.

Thank you!

Comments (12)