SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenfanatic2003

Some problems w/some bulbs I didn't get planted - need your opini

gardenfanatic2003
17 years ago

I ordered some Oriental bulbs and didn't get them planted right away. Consequently, they started growing inside their bags. Of course the stems weren't straight - they were all curled around when I got the time to plant them. I didn't want to put them in the ground since they were all goofy and crazy, so I got the great idea of putting them in pots until fall, thinking when they started going dormant, I'd plant them in the ground.

Well, they haven't done too well in the pots. I'm wondering if the potting soil was too heavy. A few of them never continued to grow once they got in the pot. A few of them turned black where the stem met the soil mixture and have croaked. Every time it rains, a few more of them turn black along the stem and start to croak. Some of them have developed dark spots on their leaves and are starting to croak.

I'm thinking by the time fall gets here they'll probably all be dead - all 25 of them. Very disappointing, not to mention a waste of money!

Does anyone know that if the stem rots, the bulb will be dead too? Or how possible would it be that the bulb would still be alive even though the top growth is dead? I know with a regular perennial, the whole plant would be dead, but I don't know how that works with bulbs.

I need suggestions for what some of you would do in this situation. I don't want to throw away bulbs that might be okay next year, but I don't want to go to the time and trouble of planting 25 bulbs that are toast.

Thanks for your help,

Deanna

Comments (2)