SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenfanatic2003

Need help - what should I do with these lilies?

gardenfanatic2003
15 years ago

I've lost several lilies this year due to near record rainfall. Many of them didn't even come up, and the majority of what did come up had short, tiny stems that hardly grew. Then eventually leaves started turning yellow and dropping off from the bottom up, then collapse. Interestingly, all the Asiatics and Orienpets were fine - it was the Orientals that suffered.

Anyway, today I finally got around to digging them up and finding out what was going on, which is how I know it was from too much rain. With the ones that had sprouted and collapsed, for some the bulb was mush. Others, the bulb was fine but the stem underground had a rotten place.

So I removed what looked healthy and viable, and now I need to know what to do with it all. I have two normal sized bulbs (actually one is huge - the size of my fist) that look perfectly healthy. Do I put them in the ground, in a pot, or in the refrigerator? Do I give them fertilizer? Will they sprout next year, since they don't have leaves to give them energy to grow?

I have several bulblets the size of marbles. Do I put them in the ground, in a pot, or in the refrigerator? If I put them in a pot or in the ground, how deep should they be? Do I give them fertilizer? Will they sprout next year, since they don't have leaves to give them energy to grow?

Strangely, in one area there were a bunch of scales in the soil. I thought it was strange because they had to have come off a bulb, but I saw no bulb. Should I try to get some plants off of them?

Lastly, a couple of stems that had detached from the bulb but not collapsed yet had roots on the stem above the rotten part. I put them in a pot in case their stem roots might keep them alive. Is that a possibility?

Thanks for your help,

Deanna

Comments (9)