SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bosewichte

Okay...what did I do wrong? 1st attempt fail!

bosewichte
12 years ago

Please help me learn what I did wrong this year so I can have a successful season next year!

I bought a large heat mat (50 x 20ish) and set it up in my basement on a wooden stand that my husband built with some insulating foam core underneath the heat mat. Basement temp: around 64 degrees. Heat mat should raise the temp 10 - 20 degrees. I bought four large rectangular plastic trays with domes for my seeds.

Since we're probably moving this year, I didn't want to start any perennials or veggies. I decided to just plant 'easy grow' annuals: zinnias, cosmos, nasturtiums, etc.

I drilled holes in small plastic dixie cups and filled with the 'non-soil' soil that's supposed to be good for germination. Filled up partway, put in seed, more dirt (depending on plant seed depth need) and then watered from the top. I saw condensation on the tray tops so initially assumed that I didn't need to water much. But when I really checked a few days later, I saw that the cups were pretty dry. Then I kept up with watering. Out of about 200 seeds planted, only about 50 or so came up. And it was random...ONE nasturtium out of 20 planted, etc., etc.

I decided to dump out one whole tray and start over. This time, I dumped the soil mix in a bucket and made sure it was nice and wet before reseeding and putting back in the basement. But out of these 50 or so replanted seeds, only about 5 came up. Some things NEVER came up out of EITHER batch: larkspur and sweet peas, just off the top of my head.

Any ideas what I could've done wrong??? Those little greenhouses are nice and warm inside. I used fresh 2012 seeds from a reputable company. I made sure the soil stayed moist. I planted things that should be able - and do! - grow during the worst conditions.

Could my soil have been TOO wet?

Could the heat mat have been TOO hot?

Any other thoughts?

I'd love some feedback!

Comments (9)